1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

NEWBIE HERE.. LOTS OF QUESTIONS

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by Zube, Apr 7, 2005.

1. Zube

Zube Member

I finally got a DVD burner and am very familiar with VCD's and SVCD's. I know how to convert all different formats mpeg, avi, etc. to VCD or SVCD. I'm using TMPGEnc DVD AUthor and TMPGEnc DVD Source Editor to convert mpegs to DVD. I don't know if this is the best software to use but its the only thing I have right now.

I've successfully taken a 750MB Mpeg file and converted it into an ISO using DVD Source editor but after its gone through its conversion, the file is over 2Gigs.. IS this normal and is there any way around this? Basically I'd like to be able to take 2 Mpeg files under 1.5 Gigs and be able to convert to DVD ready format and burn onto a normal DVD. If someone can give me all the info or point me in the right direction I'd appreciate it.

DVD Source Editor has the option to take down teh size of the file but how much of an affect on quality will that have? Maybe I'm using the wrong software or just not setting the options correctly. Anyways. thanks in advance for help.

2. DarkThief

DarkThief Member

Yea Same. I've got that problem too. I used DivxToDvd on a 60mg avi file to convert it to the appropiate files. After the conversion is complete, it turned out that the file was 8x the original avi file (that's around 480mg). So i don't no what problem is causing it. Maybe it's because the dvd requires some files in order to convert.

3. Zube

Zube Member

Yea. I'm totally new to the whole DVD burning. I've always burned VCD's and SVCD's w/o a problem taking two movie clips and burning on 2 CD's. I'm getting kinda tired of that and am hoping that I can fit them on one DVD-R. There definitely has to be a way to keep Mpeg files under or near 1.5 and keep them under the 4.2Gb or whatever it is that DVD's can hold.

4. wally31

wally31 Guest

Save yourself a lot of time and trouble go to download DVD Decrypter and DVD Shrink. Thay are the easiest to use. I just started about three weeks ago and I have no trouble backing up my DVDs or Playstation games. I will be back in a minute with a user guide. That is why I came here tonight. I am going to hook up a friend with the same stuff.

5. wally31

wally31 Guest

Go to Home.comcast.net and print you out a user guide. Good luck.

6. Zube

Zube Member

Thanks for your reply but in no way am I trying to back up files or PS2 games. I am concerned with Mpeg 1-2 movie files that are already formatted for VCD or SVCD and how can I convert this to a DVD w/o going over the 4.36GB. Now if these programs do that for me, please explain how it works. But my biggest question is, can you take a 1.5 Gig file split in two parts and make it fit onto one DVD-R? That's my first question. The second question is, whats the best program for doing this and is this normal that the file size is so large once it has been converted to an ISO before it hits DVD? I mean, I took a file clip and converted it perfectly to DVD but the fact that I couldn't fit the second half took me by surprise.

Last edited: Apr 7, 2005
  7. andmerr

andmerr Guest

when you convert an avi file from one format to another you will find that it has doubled or tripled it self thats just how it is, thats normal.bUT TO GET AROUND THIS when you use programs like clonedvd /shrink etc they utilise compression so that it will fit onto the disc.Although a disc may say 4.7 gig you actually can only use 4.3 gig.Heres an equation for you:

cgram7:
    Newbie:
    29. August 2004 @ 13:26
    Keep in mind that manufacturers quote the capacity of a writable DVD disc in decimal (base 10) rather than binary (base 2) notation so a 4.7 GB disc stores 4.7 billion bytes [4:700,000,000 bytes ÷ 1000 = 4,700,000 KB ÷ 1000 = 4,700 MB ÷ 1000 = 4.7 GB] . Expressed in binary notation (as is typical with CD-R, CD-RW and most operating systems) the same disc has a capacity of roughly 4.38 GB [4:700,000,000 bytes ÷ 1024 = 4,589,844 KB ÷ 1024 = 4,482.27 MB ÷ 1024 = 4.38 GB] .

8. fasfrank

fasfrank Active member

Here is a guide for converting VCD to DVD:

http://www.afterdawn.com/guides/archive/vcd_to_dvd-r.cfm

Once the files have been converted to DVD-Video files you can use a program like DVD Shrink, Nero Recode2, etc to compress them to fit.

Same for the two 1.5GB files. Once they have been converted just use Shrink to make a compilation of the two files. There are many ways to do this. Any authoring program should be able to join the mpegs as well. Try Nerovision express or TMPGEnc DVD author.

You did not say how big the files actually were after you did the conversion. Bitrate issue?

9. Zube

Zube Member

Thanks. So how does that work w/ the Shrink program? Does it just compress the file size in order to fit on the DVD-R but retains all coding needed? As far as my MPEG files, they are usually already formatted for SVCD each in two files of 750MB or so.

I didn't even check the file size after it was converted to DVD-Video. I just knew that once DVD Author could recognize it to create an ISO, that ISO file which sat on the desktop was over 2Gigs. So with DVD Shrink, do I select the ISO file for shrinking and then once it has shrunk it, I use the new ISO file to burn to DVD or no? I'm just trying to get an idea of how it works since I've never used it before. Thanks again.

10. fasfrank

fasfrank Active member

Shrink will not compress anything under 4464 MB as none is needed. Shrink can open a DVD-Video compliant .iso file. I make .isos of commercial DVDs that are 5 to 7 GB in size and Shrink compresses them to 4464 MB very easily. (Shrink will not handle anything that is not DVD-Video compliant.)

If you have DVD Decrypter on your PC then you can set DVD Shrink to find it and open it to burn your DVD .iso to a disc. The whole process is very easy. Once you select "Backup!" a menu opens. Select "Backup target" and then select "ISO Image File and burn with DVD Decrypter". Just make sure you have a disc in your burner, Select OK and Shrink will encode and then open Decrypter to burn your movie.