1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Newbie in need of dire help

Discussion in 'DVD recorders' started by gonzo787, Oct 9, 2004.

1. gonzo787

gonzo787 Member

I'm very new to DVD recorders. I keep getting conflicting answers from sales people and would once and for all like to get some straight answers.

For example, at Radio Shack somebody just told me that I must have a hard drive (or a Tivo type unit) with my DVD recorder in order to record programs from the television on to a DVD. He claimed that DVD recorders werent fast enough to keep up with recording live yet. This contradicts everything I have read about them but he seemed pretty convinced.

Also, I have not been able to get an answer (including two posts here) on whether recording one channel while watching another is possible if you get your cable through a digital cable box.

I really would like a DVD recorder but don't want to spend $400 on one and realize it can't do anything I want it to do.

I want a DVD recorder that is able to convert all my VHS to DVD (this I know all of them can do) and also be able to record television programs off the TV, preferably with the option of being able to watch a totally different channel.

So I guess my questions are:
    1) Do I need a hard drive to record TV programs to DVD?
    2) If not, what are the benefits of a hard drive besides being able to store the program before you put to a DVD (if that is what is desired)?
    3) How (or is) is possible to record one program while watching another if I get my channels from a cable box?
    4) Also can anybody reccommend any good DVD recorders based on what I posted about?

I would greatly appreciate any help I can get, as I am very frustrated!

Last edited: Oct 9, 2004
  2. gonzo787

gonzo787 Member

I'm drowning here.

3. catfreak

catfreak Active member

... The answer to #1 - is no, all set top DVD recorders will record Tv programs to DVD ... #2 - with a HD you can do time slipping ... pausing live Tv .. also it is nice for editing what you record before you put it on a disc .. you're looking at double the price, however ... #3 - I'm not sure since I don't use a cable box ... #4 - Personally I have a Lite-On LVW-5005, I really like it and one really neat feature it has is that it will record on DVD+R, DVD+RW, DVD-R, DVD-RW, and SVCD, VCD onto CD-R discs ... it's called "Write all" and it does write all really well ... I paid about $240 delivered ... Go to this link for some reviews of some more recorders ... http://www.dvdrecorderworld.com/reviewlist.php

... I have used my machine to convert all my VHS tapes to DVD (you can't do copy protected tapes without additional equiptment) ... And I do record one program while watching another, but I just have cable with no box ...

... These machines are pretty much like digital VCRs except you use discs instead of tapes ...

... I hope that this has been some help to you ...
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small]          ... Victor Katz .. the original catfreak ...

[​IMG]       

. . . Of all the things in my life that I've lost . . . . . I miss my mind the most . .[/small]

Last edited: Oct 13, 2004
  4. dzd&cnfzd

dzd&cnfzd Member

All recorders that I know of will record in real time. They would be pretty worthless otherwise. Sounds like the guy at Radio Shack was trying to up his commision. I have a Panasonic with the hard drive and I do like having the hard drive for editing etc...
    The hard drive does give you the ability to edit out the comercials and fit more on a DVD. I have found I can fit six 1 hour episodes onto a DVD in SP mode. (After taking out the comercials the program is only about :40 long. Works Great!

As to you second question, I think that digital cable, like satelite needs two receivers to watch two channels. My Panasonic w/hard drive can be recording to the hard drive and I can watch another program recorder ealier or watch the one that is being recorded from the begining if I come home in the middle of the recording. Also with three S-Video inputs and a TV Tuner there is no end to the combinations of what input to watch or record.
    Sorry if this sounds like an advertisement but I really do like the unit.
    The one big downer of the Panasonics is that they will not record to RW media only -r and -RAM whick makes it nearly imposible to transfer video to the computer for editing.

Hope this helps and doenn't make you-
    Dazed-N-Confused