1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Newbie lookin for help with a nero problem

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by chriss, Feb 19, 2004.

1. chriss

chriss Member

The last few times i have attempted to burn a DVD after ripping it with DVDShrink with nero burning rom, it says somewhere along the burn "Tracking Error" or something. I am using a Pacific Digital Dual Format External DVD buner. I tried 6 memorex (3 dvd-r and 3 dvd-rw) and all had that problem. I tried Arita DVD+R and it worked well except for a few skips. I also tried a DVD+RW Fuji dvd and it had the tracking error at 20% or so. Is it the discs, burner, or my writing speed (which have been max. at every burn except with the Arita)? Anyone have any tips?

2. MysticE

MysticE Active member

Well I would rip with DVD Decrypter and finish up with Nero Recode (if you have ver. 6). You have to find media that plays well with your burner. Take one of your burned discs and do a 'Transfer Rate' test with Nero CD Speed, if good it should look like this.

[​IMG]

Not like this.

[​IMG]

Or this.

[​IMG]

Try different media till it looks like the first chart.

3. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

chriss,

Generally "errors" are caused by poor media or interruptd resourses - never use your PC for anything while it is burning unless you don't mind "coasters". If you have a Roxio product, uninstall it, it screws up a ton of programs :)

Solution: Use a good grade media, Ritek GO4 or Verbatim. Also, go to msconfig and close down all programs running in the background. Try with a slower speed and "Hopefully" you should have no problems.

Pete

4. Oriphus

Oriphus Senior member

MysticE - your third output would probably work ok on most decent DVD players - not ideal, but with some of the cheaper media its about all that can be hoped for at times ;-)

5. MysticE

MysticE Active member

Good call. It should work (it did). That was a RitekGo4. After Updating my firmware it now burns/reads like this.

[​IMG]

It's Ritek for me now all the way ;)

Last edited: Feb 20, 2004
  6. Oriphus

Oriphus Senior member

lol - thats strange. Where you using another program or were systems resources redirected somewhere while carrying out the first one. Usually it is strange for them to change so drastically, although it does happen. I tend to run a best of five and use the one in the middle for the most accurate representation of the disc.

As for the media, Ritek all the way my man, especially RiDATA/Traxdata

7. MysticE

MysticE Active member

The first spindle I bought ftom Meritline (G03's with a matte silver top) say RIDATA on the hub. The 25 pack of G04's (I wanted the shiny silver top this time) do not. They do have rather bumpy edges. The G03 Verbatims I first used were much smoother. But I've had not one coaster (that wasn't my fault) and I always burn direct. I always start with the bottom of the pack, if those work they probably all will.

People seem to give the LG 4040B a bad rap, but since the A302 firmware all is good. It also fixed the poor DAE scores, now it's a '10'. The build quality is excellent (it's like a Mercedes compared to Lite-on opticals). Still it's not a good choice for audio burning, but my LG 4520 DVD reader/52x writer rocks, passes all tests perfectly (picked it up at a local computer fair for $40). I wouldn't recommend the LG 4040B because of the issues some seem to have, but for me it's been rock solid. And it loves Ritek media ;)