1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

newbie needs help with burning DivX, Xvids without converting to DVD

Discussion in 'DivX / XviD' started by contessa1, Aug 10, 2007.

1. contessa1

contessa1 Member

Hi
    I'm a complete newbie so please bear with me. My standalone player reads all formats, that is .avi, dvd etc. What I am looking for is a program for burning my DivX/XviD movies directly without encoding into a DVD format. And just to make it a bit more interesting and me a bit more of a pain of a newbie this program needs to support subtitles. Can anyone please help me? I've been all over the place on the Internet and found a whole lot of info on converting avi to DVD software but nothing on just burning without converting. I downloaded Easy Burner, but .... well, that's not it. I will be sooooo very gratefully for any help at all.

2. contessa1

contessa1 Member

I see that being on the forum is help enough. I read through this topic and FireRaven had the same problem. I installed DivX Player and will see. From what I read, it has everything I need. So, sorry about taking up space and time on the forum. Apparently I wasn't just surfing the Net I was running amok.
    Wishing everyone a great day!

3. cmunguia

cmunguia Member

hey contessa1 i am newbie too but if the divx/xvid movies were ripped from a dvd and converted to divx/xvid format then burning them as data with nero should work on your dvd player like a regular dvd would, when you insert your disc into the dvd player on your remote click on subtitles and it should work....well hope this helps

4. contessa1

contessa1 Member

Cmungia,
    Thank u so much for writing back. The info about Nero is very helpful. Today I made it a point to see if I can go directly with DivX Burner and burn the movies I have in .avi. It also accepts subtitles. If that doesn't work. I'll try your Nero method. Thanks again. Tough being a newbie and it took me a while to ask for help afraid of sounding computer challenged and bothering those who are fluent in the ripping, burning, cloning etc., process. Now, I'll have more courage to ask. Have a great day.

5. cmunguia

cmunguia Member

contessa1

no problem at all, just let me know how it works out.

6. contessa1

contessa1 Member

hi cmunguia,
    As promised, although a bit late, sorry, I'm writing to let you know that I'm using Nero for burning .avi files (Xvid, DivX) with and without subtitles and it is a breeze. I tried some other programs, but this one seems to be doing a great job of it.
    Thanks again for replying and your interest.
    I'm hoping I won't be newbie for too long, but as long as I am, it's nice to know that all newbies also support each other.
    Have a great weekend.
    contessa1

7. lillamb

lillamb Guest

Hi, I'm a newbie too and I've been trying to find something that will help me put divx movies straight to dvd without converting. I have Sonic and it doesn't allow me to do this so can you tell me what you did. I read that you used Nero. Can you tell me what version and the cost.

8. contessa1

contessa1 Member

Hi lillamb,
    I don't know if as a newbie I'll be able to give you a proper guide but I found info on burning .avi files in Nero without converting them into dvd somewhere on this forum and unfortunately I can't find it now. Anyway, I use Nero 7 Ultra Edition Enhanced. Right now, I believe you can purchase it online directly from their site: http://www.nero.com/nero7/enu/Nero_7_Premium_New_Features.html at $80.00.
    I don't know what kind of codec pack you have installed, I have K-lite codec. Open Nero Start Smart, on top of the window select DVD / CD/DVD or CD in the dropdown windown, depending on the media you'll be using to burn the file. Click on the data icon (it looks like a sheet of paper), select burn data file.
    Once there it will ask you to add your data file. Open it from the folder you stored it in. If you don't need subtitles then just keep clicking "next" until you get to the "burn" page and click on that. Oh, I forgot, before clicking on Burn, make sure that you select the burning speed. The slower the burning speed the better the quality of the movie. If you want to add subtitles then, for example, save your .avi file on your desktop and your subtitle file also. The subtitle file should be in an .srt format (.sub format is used when you burn a dvd format movie file). Make sure that both have the exact same name. i.e. mymovie.avi and mymovie.srt. When adding your data file to burn add both. The final movie on your disc will have the subtitles. I realize that this may sound a bit confusing and other more experienced forum members will be able to help you better or at least explain it more clearly but I hope this helps a bit. Please let me know how it works out. Good luck.

9. lillamb

lillamb Guest

Hi, I just wanted to let you know that I decided not to get Nero and just use the divx player. So far it has worked out great. I have downloaded movies and tv shows and they work fine on my certified divx dvd player. Thanks for your help anyway.