1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Newbie - PAL to NTSC dvd Conversion

Discussion in 'Other video questions' started by Unit02, Aug 11, 2003.

1. Unit02

Unit02 Member

I just got a pal all region dvd. The audio will play through my home theater system, but no video. Is there a way, to convert the pal to ntsc using xcopy, or any other computer program, to change the video from pal to ntsc, while not harming the audio quality?

2. jnihil

jnihil Moderator Staff Member

Not easily. There are no one-click solutions available. I do believe that the guy who writes DVD95Copy was thinking of putting this into his software, so you may want to investigate it.

Basically, you'll need to reencode the video to NTSC and then put everything back.

I used to do all this but gave up after a while because I simply have too many. Instead I bought a DVD player that plays both NTSC/PAL onto a multi-standard TV and also has a NTSC<->PAL converter builtin incase you don't have a multi-TV. Cheap for AUS$180, plus it's multi-region and no macrovision.

If you don't intend on doing this a lot, then may I suggest using ProCoder ($$$). If cost is an issue, I believe someone has written an Avisynth script that does the conversion - but you'll still need to reencode with CCE or TMPG and reauthor that back onto DVD.

Rgds,
    jnihil.

3. grahamt

grahamt Member

could you please help me with the brand name and model details of the DVD player that plays both PAL and NTSC?

Thanks

4. jnihil

jnihil Moderator Staff Member

Many Chinese made units do. Magnavox and VDDV make players with the converter built-in. I'm sure many others do too.