1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Newbie planning out computer parts

Discussion in 'Building a new PC' started by dytopia, Jul 6, 2008.

1. shaffaaf

shaffaaf Regular member

ill add an antec 1200 to that for cases :) but boozer has it bang on.

2. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

lol

A VERY expensive case, and something I doubt he will need. But sure, if you have the money, then it's a pretty damn cool monstrosity. haha

3. PeaInAPod

PeaInAPod Active member

@ sam. and shaf.
    Again no one reads what I post! I said...
    *the GTX 280 was the highest performaning videocard
    *that the HD 4850 is a far better value.
    *I never said one chipset was better then the other. I said that a quality OC comes down to the BIOS and the quality of the motherboard.
    *Both you(sam. and shaf.) are ripping on me about my stance on modular cabling. I said it multiple times and I will quote myself instead of wasting my time retyping it...
    Notice in both quotes that I NEVER once said that modular cables means you will have problems? I simply say that your risk for electrical problems is raised.

@shaf.
    To clear things up when I say "electrical 101" I am not referring to any type of book or class. Rather ___(term)___ 101 is a term used to equate knowledge and facts to the lowest level associated with the term in question.

@sammorris
    I like you, your a good AD'er. But why resort to calling me a fanboy? Because I said this...
    You can't say that it's not true, in a 1 to 1 test between a GTX 280 and the HD 4850 the GTX wins. I didn't say that the GTX 280 was the best card I just said "for all out graphics horsepower"(in a single card)"the GTX 280" can't be beat. That is a true statement. And to finish off a fanboy wouldn't post statements like this...
    I mean really what more do you want? I acknowledge that both cards are good performers. That the HD 4850 holds its weight in gaming at a great value, and that the GTX 280 is ungodly expensive but delivers unbeatable(currently) performance. Seeing and demonstrating the pros and cons of both sides, that doesn't seem like fanboyism to me.

4. dytopia

dytopia Member

...so...very.....confused..

5. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

Check your PM ;)

6. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Peainapod: I'm not ripping on anyone specifically for modular cabling. What I'm saying is a blanket statement - anyone who thinks modular cabling introduces electrical problems is blind. They simply don't unless they're bad PSUs, and nobody here buys bad PSUs.
    As for the latter comment, thanks for the compliment but When you state how powerful a product is, you have to choose your words somewhat carefully. The GTX280 is fast for a single card, but dual graphics systems are so common these days, they have to be included when comparing graphics cards - especially when they use single slot coolers like the 4850s, it's not beyond anyone's reach to use them, they're simple to set up and easy to get good performance out of. The GTX280 gets beaten by two 4850s, let alone two 4870s, so to say it reigns supreme is a little flawed. If you used a cheap motherboard like the P35-DS3L with a GTX280, since you only needed the one PCIe slot, the extra cost involved is more than what would allow you to buy at least an EX38-DS4 with two 4850s, if not an even better X48 board. Since you can't SLI GTX cards like you can the radeons, the 280 just isn't a worldbeating card when put in this perspective.

Dytopia: Abuzar's pretty much spot on with his build, Listen to him and you can't go far wrong.

7. dytopia

dytopia Member

I still don't understand what parts i should and shouldnt get...

8. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

lol

I made you a list didn't I? Why dont you start with that? :)

If you have any questions about the list, let me know.

9. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

As I mentioned before, Abuzar's list is pretty much spot on.