1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Newbie Problem

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by kentu3, Mar 27, 2004.

1. kentu3

kentu3 Member

I just purchased a Panasonic DMR-E50 and burned my 1st DVD-R.
    After finalizing the disk, I tried playing it in my 2 DVD players , an Apex 1010w and Apex 1100w. I just got the LOADING screen and nothing else.
    When I put the same DVD-r in my PC DVD-Rom drive I get the video.
    My question is, could it be the type of DVD-R disks im using. They are generic "Liquidvideo" 2x disks.

Thanks

2. fasfrank

fasfrank Active member

Hi kentu3,
    Normally you don't have to finalize a disc.
    The burning program does three things when it creates your disc. It writes a lead-in, the tracks and then it writes the lead-out.
    These things need to be there for your DVD to play in your player properly.
    Your computer is not as picky.

It would be helpful if you could describe your system as well as the programs and procedures you are trying to use.

Your Apex players are compatible with your media, although I would get some high quality media like Ritek or Verbatim.
    You should get some re-writable R/W media while you are trying to get this to work.
    Although this might be a media problem its just as likely to be something else. Need more info!

Cheers,
    Frank

3. kentu3

kentu3 Member

well,
    My Panasonic DMR-E50 is a Standalone recorder, and im just trying to transfer my old VHS tapes to dvd and have them playable on OTHER DVD players.

4. fasfrank

fasfrank Active member

5. kentu3

kentu3 Member

Thank You for the Link. Very insightful

Well, after some trials, I have discovered my APEX Players just dont like my Panasonic recordings, they will not play any DVD-R I put in, no matter the brand (Memorex, Maxell, TDK, generic "Liquidvideo").
    I decided to pull out and dust off my OLD JVC DVD player, and give it a try. All the Panasonic DVD-r disk I recorded played on the JVC except for the MAXELL disks..

again, thanks for your help...

6. fasfrank

fasfrank Active member

Well at least we know your recorder makes usable recordings. Sorry to hear that your Apex players won't play them.

I suppose you could use an R/W disc in the Panasonic and make a copy of that using your computer and a burning program. I wouldn't make a guarantee they would play either. I would try some more media brands and possibly change to a + format.

The way I would proceed if I were in your situation:

Try a Ritek G-04 -R in the Panasonic, see if that would play, if not:

Take the Panasonic disc, put it in my computer, open it with DVD Decrypter and using the ISO R mode make an image. Then I would use the ISO W mode to burn a Ritek G-04 -R disc. Then try it in the Apex.

If that doesn't work I would try burning the image to a +R disc and see if that plays.

If that won't work, I'd be pissed and sell the Apexes and get something that does play the discs!