1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Newbie question, need help reinstalling everything.

Discussion in 'Windows - General discussion' started by felix100, Jan 9, 2009.

1. felix100

felix100 Regular member

I'm running windows xp home edition and i want to reinstall windows and everything, remove everything on the harddrive. But I've never done this thing before so can someone tell me how to remove everything on the harddrive including windows xp? Stupid question i know, but would appreciate if someone could help.

2. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

bootoff the xp cd & eventually windows will give you the option to format the drive. do you have your drivers disk for the motherboard?

3. felix100

felix100 Regular member

Do i have to go into bios and make the computer boot from the cd/dvd drive first? And when i format the HD is everything removed then, even the OS?

And i dont think i have the driver disk for the motherboard, do i need it?

Last edited: Jan 9, 2009
  4. mistycat

mistycat Active member

This guide, if a bit dire sounding, is pretty good if you're using an XP CD, not applicable if using a Restore CD that came with the machine: http://lifehacker.com/software/wind...nd-install-windows-xp-from-scratch-157578.php You need to set boot order in the Bios to CD first, if it isn't, you can get there by holding the del key down as booting up and boot order is under advanced or something. Arrow up or down to set thing's but don't change anything else there, this is the brain's of your pc. You see press del to enter setup every time you boot up already on one of the first black screen's. After that, it's pretty easy but only press any key to begin the first time you see it or the whole process will restart. Have your key handy, your driver's for later (usually on CD that came with Motherboard or burn them yourself: http://www.innovative-sol.com/drivermax/ or http://www.soft32.com/download_8412.html because you may not even be able to access the internet after. Pay attention to how you install or you could end up with two copies of Window's installed and backup anything you want/need because it'll be gone, data, picture's, key's, etc. I keep any key's in my email because that can alway's be accessed later. I also burn my AV installer to a CD and disconnect from the internet because I once got infected before I could install it. Sound's kind of complicated but it's not. Didn't know I was so slow at typing, I'm pretty bad.

5. ddp

make the rom drive the 1st boot drive in bios. format gets rid of everything. what is the make & model# of the pc or motherboard?

6. felix100

felix100 Regular member

Im not sure... how do i find out? And does the driver disk for the motherboard contain all the drivers i need or just drivers for the motherboard?

7. mistycat

mistycat Active member

Stick the Cd in your drive and reboot, if not, it'll go back to Window's or look. Your driver's should be on the Motherboard CD.

8. felix100

felix100 Regular member

By the way, i bought the computer from dell so it came with everything installed from the beginning. So maybe i can get the drivers from their website, first by choosing my product? But i wont be able to reach these drivers because my internet wont be working, will it?

9. mistycat

mistycat Active member

Know nothing of Dell but don't they come with a Restore CD or let you burn your own? Edit: saw this but don't know if it applies: Click the Start button on your Windows desktop.

Click All Programs, Dell Accessories, and then Dell OS Recovery CD.
    If you have a portable computer, plug in the AC adapter.

Click the OK button.
    The Dell Software License Agreement window appears.

Read the license agreement and then click to select Yes, I accept if you agree to the terms.

Click the Next button.
    A Welcome message appears prompting you to place a blank CD-R disc into your writeable drive.

Place a blank CD-R disc into your writeable drive if you have not already done so and click the Next button.
    The program will create your backup OS Recovery CD.
    Note:
    The program can take up to 30 minutes to create your backup disc.

When the backup disc is complete a Congratulations! message appears.

Remove the CD-R disc from the writeable drive and label it Windows Operating System Backup CD.

Click the Finish button.

Congratulations! You have successfully created your Windows operating system backup CD. Store the CD in a safe and easy to find location.

10. wheelo

wheelo Regular member

felix can you give me the dell model number and tell me is it a pc or laptop. i just had to do this and there is inbuilt in the latest dell machines(mine was bought last Jan) a way to reset within 15 minutes, simple to follow instructions, i will give you the details in about 5 minutes when i look up my internet history and find the info.
    wheelo

11. wheelo

wheelo Regular member

please note this is only for dell machines
    Using PC Restore in Windows XP or Media Center

Notice:
    Restoring the original factory image erases ALL existing data. This includes files, folders, programs, drivers, E-mails, photos. Before performing a PC Restore, back up all personal files. If you do not back up your personal files, the data will be lost.

1 Turn on the computer.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2 When the Dell splash screen appears during the computer startup process, press and hold <Ctrl> and then press <F11>. Then, release both keys at the same time.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

3 In the Dell PC Restore by Symantec window, click Restore. Alternatively, press <Tab> to highlight Restore, and then press <Enter>.

4 When a warning message appears stating that all data will be lost, click Confirm, or press <Tab> to highlight Confirm and then press <Enter>.

The Progress window will appear. Once the restore process starts, Dell PC Restore by Symantec usually takes about 8 to 10 minutes to finish.

When the restore process is complete, the following message will appear:
    The system recovery process was successful.

5 Click Finish or press <Tab> to highlight Finish and then press <Enter> to restart the computer.

The software is now installed as it was when the computer was first received.

12. felix100

felix100 Regular member

It's a pc, model: XPS/Dimension 400/9150

So when i do this (wheelos instructions) everything is restored to the original factory image? Does it reinstall xp? And after I've done this do i still need my drivers disk for the motherboard, do i need to install a bunch of drivers to make everything work? Or are the drivers still there after the system restore?

One more thing, currently i only have one partition but what if i want to create another partition, can i do that?

13. ddp

14. wheelo

wheelo Regular member

Sorry Felix,
    I am only a poor novice, but i just did this in the last weeks, if you look at the pm i sent to you it is the official dell support site. if you follow my stupidity at http://en.community.dell.com/forums/p/19247271/19392685.aspx#19392685
    it will show my problem and my eventual solution.
    i will state again(not 'cos i know stuff and not willing to share, but 'cos i know nothing!), this will restore your computer to the way it was when you got it out of its packaging, ie., xp, drivers,etc that came with it will be restored.
    i know nothing about partitions, all i know is because of the link here and in the pm i sent, and it is due to them people that i know anything, it was pure chance that i came across your thread, i was looking for my usual and i clicked "home" by accident and decided to read the new threads listed.
    pm me or trust me, i am only trying to help.
    i thought i had lost you into doing it the long way as it took you so long to reply(i have been checking back and forth since).
    hope this helps,
    if you want more info,
    just ask,
    Wheelo

15. wheelo

wheelo Regular member

i hope that between me and ddp(the mod) that this will solve your problem.
    now you have me curious, why are you resetting to factory settings?
    Wheelo

16. felix100

felix100 Regular member

Ok thanks a lot for the help. So maybe i should just do a system restore by following your instructions, above? It seems a lot easier than reinstalling xp and everything.

And the reason i want to do this is because the pc is filled with so much junk and probably a few viruses aswell (even though I've removed most of it). I just want a clean pc. If there's a virus on my pc it will be removed if i do a system restore, right?

17. wheelo

wheelo Regular member

felix,
    i think that we are talking about the same thing, but let us be sure!!!!!
    a system restore only brings your computer back to that specific point(if you have a virus, they seem to be able to travel backwards), if you want to make the computer like new, then follow my instructions above.
    again, please tell me what is wrong that you want to reset your computer back to original settings as there may be an easier solution to your problem?
    wheelo
    i have just read your ammended post and i hope that this ansewrs your question?

18. ddp

system restore is thru windows & it goes back in time. system recovery puts everything back to factory defaults so system restore & system recovery are 2 different things.

19. wheelo

wheelo Regular member

thats what i thought i said, lol :) though you actually use the right language, and thanks
    wheelo

20. felix100

felix100 Regular member

Oh sorry, i thought they were the same thing, i meant i wanted to do a system recovery. And this is the same thing as removing everything and installing xp from scratch, except i wont need to reinstall the OP? Just that this is a simplier way of doing it? And all viruses that might still be on my pc will be removed with a system recovery?