1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

newbie question on speakers and impedance

Discussion in 'Receivers and amplifiers' started by sparty316, Jun 27, 2007.

1. sparty316

sparty316 Member

Just found this site, Its awesome. Hopefully someone can help me with my hopefully simple question.

Just moved from a very small house to a very large house. Because of this I am nowvery poor and have no money to upgrade my home theatre at the moment. Was using a Panasonic SC-MT1 at the small house. The new house has 4 mounted satellites already wired and hung. The speakers are Polk Audio. The only thing the backs say is "RM Series 2"

My question is can I use the Polk Satellites to replace the 4 Panasonic Satellites and still use my Panasonic receiver, sub and center speaker? The Panasonic speakers and manual clearly say they are 6 ohms. The Polk speakers don't say on the back. I've done some research on the internet and while I can't find an exact match, it appears all the other Polk RM series satellites I can find are all 8 ohms.

So can I run four 8 ohms satellites and one 6 ohm center speaker off of my reciever/amp? My initial research into the realm of impeadance would say I should be able to, but I'm not certain.

The speakers all plug into the Sub which then plugs into the receiver. this would be preferable as it does not appear the wall mountings for the Polk speakers would work with the Panasonic satellites I have, although i haven't yanked them down to confirm this.

Thanks for any help anyone can give.

2. JVC

JVC Active member

You should be ok with 8 ohm or 4 ohm speakers, if the receiver is 6 ohm. Where you can start getting into trouble is if you drive 4 ohm speakers, with an 8 ohm receiver. Can be too much of a load on the receiver.

Denon says that 2 ohms, one way or the other, won't matter.
    Good luck!