1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Newbie Question

Discussion in 'Audio' started by Quigley, Jul 17, 2003.

1. Quigley

Quigley Guest

Is it possible to listen to a radio station over the internet and have it saved to the hard drive so that I can burn a cd from it later???
    I would imagine anything is possible in this computer world but what would I need ( hardware / software ) to complete the above task.

Thanks for putting up with a newbie question.

2. Calla

Calla Member

I'm no expert -- but you may be able to record with a .wav editor program. It would basically be like recording onto a tape, only on the computer. I'm not sure how well it would work, and there probably is an easier and more practical way; hopefully someone more advanced than me will chime in.

3. tigre

tigre Moderator Staff Member

If you want to burn a CD easiest would be to use Total Recorder or similar software (Virtual Audio Cable). With this you can record every output to the soundcard. Best quality-wise would be to record as (uncompressed) .wav, otherwise you would introduce an extra step of lossy compression which lowers quality. To split the tracks so you can access them separately on CD you need a wave editor like audacity (free).

4. Quigley

Quigley Guest

Thanks, I do appreciate the knowledge. I am off to learn more now that I have this for a foundation. Thanks again.

5. Labrat

Labrat Regular member

I use Polderbits it can capture any audio source you can think of, even internet radio station.
    Here's a link www.PolderBits.com

6. nik99

nik99 Regular member

try streamripper if u want to rip into mp3's..it works with winamp..it rips into mp3 not wavs..so less of space wastage and u can work, edit trim etc lot faster