1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Newbie questions about file types

Discussion in 'Blu-ray players' started by dandilldo, May 27, 2010.

1. dandilldo

dandilldo Member

Had to repost due to old topic being closed, apparently the last thread name wasn't good enough.

Ok, well I have got a few questions about Blu-Ray and i'm hoping to find the answers here. (sorry if the answers are already here somewhere but it would take hours to wade through all old posts)

I'm considering buying a Blu-Ray drive for my laptop but as i've never experienced watching 1 I wonder is it worth the money considering the cost of the disks.
    I've pondered over this for a long time and now i'm expecting a bit of cash flowing my way I think it's time to decide.

I wanted to know if it was possible to get a ripped file from a dvd and watch it via the laptop to see the quality and justify buying the drive. so i've looked through the forum and found that this is possible using the current codec pack I have (k-lite codec pack)and the files I saw mentioned were .mkv or .nHD but it seems they are all 720p and if i'm going to be making a proper comparison then I should at least be using 1080p file but I have no idea what this file extension is or whether it is watchable on the laptop (connected to the tv of course).

When i have looked for blu-ray films on torrent pond the files are around 1.7 to 3gb and i thought maybe that was a bit low considering the disk holds 25gb and dvd holds 7.

I also wanted to know what resolution & framerate a film should be if it was hd and i wanted to convert it to blu-ray and what is the best program for doing so? And around what size should this hd file be?

so in a nutshell:
    1 Can I watch a 1080p blu-ray ripped file on my laptop using k-lite codecs? and what is the file extension?
    2 What size should this ripped file be?
    3 If I wanted to convert a hd movie to blue ray what framerate should it be or can I just use any 1920x1080 file and the converter would do the rest?
    4 best program for this?

2. 13echo4

13echo4 Regular member

Sorry my last post was screwy. I was on my blackberry and the internet was acting up. I thought I did"nt get posted. Half of the post actually made it. Anyway....

The actual lowest resalution of blu_ray is 1280x720.
    Blu-ray files are M2TS files. However you can very easyly mux x264 and MKV files to be in blu-ray compliance. TSMUXER will mux these files into blu_ray disc format so it can be burned to disc. In my post in your other thread I put in some programs to use to do just what your asking. Encode a high def. video file into blu_ray. what did'nt make it was the link I posted for the blu-ray help guide, but ddp was nice enough to post it. It appears to me you just jumped over our responses. Your not going to get far w/ out reading. Read the guide and thread then come ask questions where you get stuck. Your question here in a nutshell it answered in source material.
    Like I said earlier you can watch these files on your computer w/ having an optical drive of anykind in a few different ways. You can create an ISO image etc. etc. I hope we're giving yu some sort of help.

3. dandilldo

dandilldo Member

No no 13echo4 I didn't jump over the response and the link the mod provided was for the forum rules about thread names and that topic is now closed, hence the repost.
    and you just answered 2 of the main questions about the blu-ray files here :) thanks.
    I'll revisit your last response and try and use both bits of info and i'll probably find a 3rd.
    I do appreciate the help I think I must have just missed the main point of what you were saying. sorry

4. dandilldo

dandilldo Member

ahh just checked and seen why I missed your help. you said:
    W/ TSMUXER you can mux the files into M2TS or str8 into a blu-ray disc format. The best I can remember right now 1080x720 is the lowest res. To be blu-ray compliant. Now the file can be compressed down to whatever size. Video that is. You still have to allow for audio, subs,headers, etc. I use tsmuxer, avisynth, megui, and imgburn to do about all my work.

I missed the help here as I didn't know the M2TS file was the blu-ray file extension.... But I do now!! :)
    So just to clarify... the file would be .M2TS correct?

5. 13echo4

13echo4 Regular member

Deleted cause of double post

Last edited: May 28, 2010
  6. 13echo4

13echo4 Regular member

Deleted cause of triple post. I have the problem fixed.

Last edited: May 28, 2010
  7. 13echo4

13echo4 Regular member

Sorry I thought ddp linked you to the blu-ray/hd dvd thread. I shoulda paid more attention. Heads up if your going to repost and your post is last in the thread just edit it into the last one. ddp watches out for that as well. I would link you to the blu-ray thread but I'm not able to do so today. The browser on this blackberry is screwy. Anyway its at the top of the blu-ray list. Yes m2ts is blu-ray extention. Did you understand how to play files on computer?

8. dandilldo

dandilldo Member

well assumably using media player with the k-lite codec pack I have? or do I have more to learn? lol

9. 13echo4

13echo4 Regular member

Yep. I use wmp or vlc. Just wich ever one I feel like using.

10. dandilldo

dandilldo Member

happy days! I've got demolition man m2ts downloading as we speak so will be plugging it in later and seeing what all they hype is actually all about :D thanks echo :D

11. jjfreak5

jjfreak5 Member

So might be a dumb question, but with the K-lite codec pack you can use VLC to play Blu-ray? I know you can't normally...

12. 13echo4

13echo4 Regular member

You can play x264 and m2ts files w/ wmp and vlc w/ k-pac installed. The orginal disc I don't believe work. I have'nt worked on that yet. In the orginal file you have the VC1 codec. Wmp trys real hard but keeps scrambling up.
    Dandilldo I hope your screen has HD res. It won't be real impressive