1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Newbie questions....

Discussion in 'Other video questions' started by tpapag, Jan 21, 2002.

1. tpapag

tpapag Member

Hi everyone! I have some questions to make.I'm interested in capturing my VHS tapes in Divx format.
    1.What hardware do I need? A tv tuner with video in or a video card with video in?What model is the best?
    2.When I will convert a 2-hour VHS tape to divx,how much disk space I need?Is it like converting a dvd to divx?

2. dRD

dRD I hate titles Staff Member

You need a capture card, good cards are made by Matrox (Marvel series), Hauppauge and __SOME__ ATI models (most of ATIs capture cards are crap, but some cards are good).

And I recommend that you capture the movie using non-lossy format and highest resolution (704x576 for PAL and 704x480 for NTSC). Ok, that takes helluva lot of HDD space, gigs, but it's worth it. Use DivX 4.12 with 2-pass encoding after you've cut the video, made the changes you wanna change, etc.. Editing the video and encoding it "offline" from excellent/perfect quality capture is the best way to do things.