1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Newbie - Quick Questions...

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by Casmad, Feb 5, 2005.

1. Casmad

Casmad Member

Hello All - I am glad I found a forum for this posting, I hope you all can help. I recently purchased the Sony DRU-710A, which I believe is an ok model. It came with nero, which I have read the posts on and it sounds like a bad program. Anyways, last night I put my first DVD in and tried to back-up, but it took like an hour and half to do so, using Nero. And then when I put it in the player, all I got was the first screen of "This film has been modified to fit this screen" and that was the whole dvd?? I read some posts here and tried to download DVD Decrypter and DVD Shrink, but each time it downloads a web page NOLEECH and nothing else. Please let me know what to do, I am not happy so far....

2. Casmad

Casmad Member

Ok - Quick reponse, I found DVD Decrypter, but how long does it take to back-up a DVD?? I started one just a minute ago, and it says it will take 1:08:04, over an hour? Is that right???

3. megabyte2

megabyte2 Guest

Your speed will depend on alot of things speed of the drives speed of your CPU and how big the movie is. The 1 hour seems about right for a rather fast CPU with a 4x burner. Try using shrink too. It has Nero built in thus eliminating the 2nd step (2nd program usage)

4. Rotary

Rotary Senior member

hi

useing dvd decrypter should rip a film in say 20 to 25 min!

about the same to compress and re-author in dvd shrink

and with a 4x burner about 14 mins to burn it

so all together about an hour?

5. hursty

hursty Active member

i wish!
    my clapped out banger of a pc takes about 2hrs

to my knowledge shrink has NO burn engine

6. bazilla

bazilla Regular member

Casmad,

I don't know where you got the idea that Nero is bad. A few around here don't think much of NeroVision Express (the part of the Nero suite that allows you to make your own dvd movies from video files), but not all of us put it down. NVE is actually a pretty good app for the casual encoder.

I have the Sony DRU 710A, and have no regrets (or "buyer's remorse"). Considering the cost of Nero, to get Nero bundled with it makes it an awesome deal. I recommend that you go to the Nero website and upgrade your Nero. This will get you Nero Recode 2, a Nero application like dvd shrink.

As for taking "1:08:04", what is telling you this? DVD Decrypter?

My experience is comparable to Rotary's. Keep in mind that the way many of us do this, it is a multistep process:

1) Rip with dvd decrypter (this copies the files on the dvd to your hard drive, removing copy protection). Should be from 15-20 minutes, depending on the total size of the files transfered (say 5 to 8 GB).

2) Reencode with dvd shrink. Most movie dvd's these days are dvd9's, and with trailers, extras, and everything else use most of a dual layer dvd (~9 GB). If you are not using shrink to remove unnecessary parts to the movie, there will be [bold]lots[/bold] of compression/encoding required to cram that sucker onto your single layer dvd5 media. I suspect that is where your "1:08:04" encoding time is coming from. Learn how to use dvd shrink to do "movie only" backups. It will cut that time in half, or more. I usually see 20-30 minutes for this phase.

3) Finally, the burn. Dvd shrink will use Nero to burn. This is the reverse of step one, and takes about as long, depending on the speed of the media (4x versus 8x). 15-20 minutes is about right.

So I come out about where Rotary does. But I suspect it is step 2 that you are skipping, and this is adding to the time for you.

Go to www.dvdshrink.info and check out the great tutorials on using dvd shrink. You want to pay attention to the one on "re-authoring."

7. Rotary

Rotary Senior member

hi

yes part 2 from bazilla i am a movie only guy! dont want extras, so its abit quicker as i dont use the enhance video quailty setting i think thats a 2 pass rate, (checks it twice basically) go straight re-author

follow my sig links for DD and DS...

dvd shrink uses either nero engine to burn or dvd decrypter engine, its not built in those apps, you need them loaded to your pc, and you set it in shrink!

now i think nero is EXCELLANT!!!! and have used many versions of it for 5 years! one thing that i love nero for is it can make slipstreamed windows xp discs, bootable too! (inserting service pack updates from msn) great...

casmad what are your system specs? and what apps did you use first to rip compress burn etc...????

Last edited: Feb 5, 2005