1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

newbie setup question :)

Discussion in 'Receivers and amplifiers' started by Wulfie66, May 31, 2004.

1. Wulfie66

Wulfie66 Regular member

Hey guys, I'm looking at getting a home theater setup but I have a few questions first. My biggest question is this: I have an [bold]OLD[/bold] tv with only a coax connector in the back for regular cable. Will I be able to hook up a surround sound system to this? Right now I have my basic cable coming into my vcr and out to my tv. my vcr has audio out which at the moment is connected to my home stereo and I use the 'aux' switch on it when I listen to my movies and such. I know, it sounds like a big mess! I also have the audio from my PS2 going into my vcr so I can play my games and watch my dvd's via the ps2 and listen to them in 'stereo' but I want THEATER sound! Any and all help would be greatly appreciated! btw, I'm looking at purchasing the RCA RT2380 400-Watt Home Theater Sound System.

2. jeff-o

jeff-o Member

Sure, that will work. Plug the VCR's audio out to the receiver, it probably has an audio input marked "VCR" or "TV". The Playstation will plug into the receiver as well. To switch between the two just push the appropriate source button on the remote. Easy.

Remember though, you'll always have to turn on the VCR and use it for tuning, if you want the sound to go through your home theatre speakers.

3. The_OGS

The_OGS Active member

Wulfie, as long as your source (VCR) has MTS stereo decoder you're in business. It's a hi-fi VCR?
    Forget about that old RF TV (it's set on ch.3, right?) As long as it looks OK, home theatre for you will be all about sound! So I guess your old stereo doesn't switch video, but with that TV you don't really need to. Until you get a TV with video-in, you will need to input the PS2 video through the VCR, or do you use a coax cable switch? If the PS2 outputs RF then you don't need the VCR for PS2 and can hook its audio directly to your stereo.
    I used to sell a ton of add-on surround sound decoders, but these days a new receiver can be pretty affordable. You will move up to surround sound, but how much better it sounds will depend on how crappy your old speakers sounded, y'know? An inexpensive 5.1 rig is not gonna blow away a high-end 2 channel setup, but will be great for video.
    L8R