1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Newbie TO VCD, Burning Question

Discussion in 'MPEG-1 and MPEG-2 encoding (AVI to DVD)' started by sandyheer, Aug 16, 2004.

1. sandyheer

sandyheer Guest

I am totally new to the vcd format, i normally burn dvds.

Anyway i wish to burn a home video to vcd as it is only 15 mins long. I have it in a video ts folder with voib files how do i burn these on to a cd to create a vcd.

Or i have this file also in mpeg format, which is easier to burn and make a vcd?

I use nero and sonic record now. I also have the common programs available on after dawn

2. shiroh

shiroh Guest

vcd is mpeg1 352x240 (NTSC)
    and svcd is mpeg2 (480x480)

other legal resolution is 704x480 and 720x480.

if you have it on the right resolution you can burn them without reencoding, and hopefully it will play, it depends on players, mine will play whatever modifycation i throw at it even illegal resolution, (just it doesn't show perfectly)

take a look at what a compliant vcd/svcd settings are.

if you use the higher res is called xvcd and the same 'x' apllied to svcd.

3. sandyheer

sandyheer Guest

Is there a specific program to burn the mpeg vcd to cd r such as nero or shall i just send it sraight to my copier drive.

4. shiroh

shiroh Guest

VCDeasy ?
    i'm not sure, i just use nero, it will take the mpeg stream, if its compliant nero won't reencode it, ( you can turn off the compliant check box )
    hopefully no data will be loss :)

5. sandyheer

sandyheer Guest

Is it using burning rom as i tried it last time and selected vcd and many different sub folders opened up. In which folder do i put the mpeg file?

6. sandyheer

sandyheer Guest

Still having trouble burning my mpeg file to a vcd format.

When using nero to whcih folder do i add my mpeg file as ive tried cdi and it didnt work. I think theres about 4 or 5 folders including segment.

All i wanna know is how do i burn it?

7. shiroh

shiroh Guest

yes, use burning rom.

drag and drop it on the big box on the bottom left.

8. nist

nist Member

I recommend to look at the DVD->VCD guides here at afterdawn. You could also use the DVDx2.2 program (freeware) to convert a DVD->VCD/SVCD/AVI. Works great, but use highest quality setting! After the conversion to MPEG1, use your burnprogram to burn a VCD(e.g. Nero).