1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

newbie w/ new DVDXCOPY

Discussion in 'Video - Software discussion' started by pringlesp, May 2, 2004.

1. pringlesp

pringlesp Member

It's DVDXCOPY Platinum. It's not working! What tha?!... Please help.

Last edited: May 2, 2004
  2. flip218

flip218 Moderator Staff Member

Some info needed? what's it doing? and what version are you using?

3. pringlesp

pringlesp Member

I have version 4.0.3.8. After it starts to read (it takes a long time) it stops and gives the message "Error occurred reading sectors!Data: 1/0." I click "OK" in the message box, and another box pops up that says, "UnableReadDVD". I click "OK" again and the program now says "Please insert DVD movie." even though the same disc it just failed to read is still in the drive. Also, my Norton program tells me that DVD X Copy is trying to access the internet and recommends that I block access, so I always do. Is it necessary for this program to access the net? Why does it try to? Please tell me that there is a way to fix this software. DVD X Rescue is better than nothing, but it is far from what I paid for.
    Any help will be appreciated.

Last edited: May 2, 2004
  4. flip218

I had the same problem when I first re-installed platinum, but it was my rescue program trying to access the internet. Eventually I did, and it actually worked better. And you shouldn't have to settle for rescue. Its a good program, but takes twice as long. Now as far as the unreadable dvd, is it dirty? Also make sure your up to date with your windows updates and firmware for your burner. And make sure your set to DMA instead of PIO. Also out of curiosity what are your specs? And don't worry about 321's so called black list, I have Roxio's Drag to Disc on one computer and it doesn't conflict with platinum. So try and clean the disc and let rescue access the internet, it won't hurt. It will prompt you if you want to update your software. And actually it won't even do that now.

5. flip218

Also when did you install 4.0.3.8? You could try to un-install, reboot, and re-install. Your license activation will still be good, and won't have to use another one. The only time you would use another one is if you put it on another computer or did a clean install on you system.

And to add salt to your wound, like other people i discovered dvdshrink and dvddecrypter. both are free and make perfect backups without the "dvd backup" screen in the beginning like platinum. i still use my platinum every so often, so i do feel like i get my moneys worth, but i wish i would have found afterdawn.com, dvdshrink and dvddecrypter first.

6. pringlesp

pringlesp Member

thanks for responding, flip. I am up to date w/ windows updates, but I don't know about firmware. I use a Sony internal burner that came w/ Sonic software pkg. As for unreadable disc, I hane tried lots of different discs, a couple fresh out of the shrink-wrap, all with the same results. I do not, however, have any idea what a DMA or PIA setting is. Could this be a problem. My system specs.: 2.4 GHz P4 processor, 512 MB RAM Sony DVD+-R(W) Drive & DVD ROM Drive, and plenty of hard drive space. I have re-installed before, but no dice. I don't know if I've ever allowed rescue to access the net before (probably), so I'll try that. Also, what's this I read on this site (afterdawn.com) about RF/ripper free versions and software updates for DVD X COPY? Should this concern me? This software is supposed to copy any store-bought movies, right? Please help me get to the bottom of this. Thanks.

7. flip218

for DMA, right click my computer, then properties, then hardware, then device manager. then look for IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers click the plus, you should see primary and secondary channels. right click primary, then properties, on the advanced settings set the transfer modes to DMA if available on both, then do the same for your secondary channel. Restart and try platinum. Oh, and you might want to check sony.com for your burner, find you model and check for firmware.

As far as an update to v4.0.4.15RF, it is the newest platinum version, but the RF stand for ripper free. If you do install it you'll have to install dvddecrypter also (this will be your ripper), create a ts_video file. Open the the RF version and click browse, and look for the ts_video file. One thing about v4.0.4.15RF it will change your rescue program it will make that ripper free (so don't install rescue, just platinum). You can have both versions of platinum v4.0.3.8 and v4.0.4.15RF on your computer. Again just as long as you don't install the rescue program that comes with the ripper free version, the version that came with v4.0.3.8 will still work. Hope this all made sense.