1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

newbie with question about burning to dvd

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by R_Z, Mar 7, 2005.

1. R_Z

R_Z Member

Hello all. So glad to have found your forum. It's really awesome.

I am relatively new to the DVD burner as I just got one on my new pc. I made a video of a friends wedding using my Sony TRV-11. I captured it onto my computer using Pinnacle 9. I put the clips together and tried to burn to dvd. I used Nero which came with the computer. It gets all the way to putting it on the disk and stops saying wrong media or something like that. I've tried it twice with no luck and then tried it once with Pinnacle and it did the same thing. It doesn't like what I'm trying to burn with apparently.

Here's what I have. Maybe this will help. The computer is a Dell P4 / 3.0 / 512 / 80 gig. The unit is a tsstcorp dvdw ts-h552b. It's supposed to be a +/- so I would think any dvd disk would work. I'm using dvd-r 4x disks. I've tried 2 different brands of the same speed and nothing will burn.

Is this enough info to help? I'd really like to make this work. Thanks in advance for any help.
    ron

2. Rotary

Rotary Senior member

hi

the files you get from pinnacle what are there names?

(thats file extension names not the actual file name like AVI MPEG2 etc etc...)

are you useing nero express or nero VISION express? download it here NVE3 ftp://ftp.de.nero.com/NVE-3.1.0.0.exe

Last edited: Mar 7, 2005
  3. R_Z

R_Z Member

Thanks for the quick response. I rendered the file in Pinnacle as an avi.

I have Nero Start Smart. I think it's the latest version 6.6 or something like that. I can't use that because it doesn't recognize the file and says it is not compatable. So I tried something else that came on the disk called Intervideo windvd creator. It goes through the whole process of making the file, formatting the dvd, erasing the dvd and when it gets to burning, it sits there for about a minute, ejects the dvd and says can't complete - some kind of error? Not sure of the exact words.

Anyway, I'm pretty frustrated, but hopeful. Please let me know what you think.
    Thanks, Ron

4. Rotary

Rotary Senior member

um? sounds odd...

ok, so you used nero vision express and not nero express yes? NVE3 is pakage 2 from nero site!

ftp://ftp.de.nero.com/NVE-3.1.0.0.exe

use AVIcodec to see what the file type is and copy and paste back here...

also try loading the avi to divxtodvd to burn or load to dvd santa

if those dont work load to tmpgenc plus to get mpeg2 dvd compliant files then load to tmpgenc dvd author to get vob/ifo/bup and burn with same app...

also read on the interent people are upgrading firmware for the drive to make more compatible!

Last edited: Mar 7, 2005
  5. R_Z

R_Z Member

I apprecaite your help. You certainly sound knowledgeable. But I have no idea about most of what you are talking about. Never heard of avicodec and am not sure where to find it or what to do with it.

As for the Nero I have, it's something called Nero SmartStart. When I went to the ftp site, it wanted to start a download. that doesn't seem right. Shouldn't I be able to get it from a reputable site like Nero?

Anyway, not trying to be difficult, but I'm not savvy yet with all this terminology. I'd just like to be able to burn any video I make to a dvd without problems.

Thanks, Ron

6. Rotary

Rotary Senior member

morning...

sorry about that i will try to be abit slower...

ok, Avicodec like most software can be found in the software section of afterdawn, all links are from there own makers sites / mirror sites, so rest assured all apps are good to go!

avicodec is a small app that reads video files and tells you audio and video type and other stuff...so you know exactly what type file you got as saying i have an AVI is like a plural not singular, there are many types mp3 / mp4 etc...

you can go to own makers websites for the downloads if going to nero you need package 1 (which it sounds you have and you need package 2 that has NERO VISION EXPRESS 3 - latest app!) this link here is from neros website so copy and paste this link in your browser / address bar... and download it!
    -----------------------------
    ftp://ftp.de.nero.com/NVE-3.1.0.0.exe

Smartstart is a frontend interface which holds say 12 other apps from nero, so having this doesnt say what you really have.

go here for neros download page...

www.nero.com/en/nero-prog.php

Package 1

Nero StartSmart 2
    Nero Express 6
    Nero BackItUp
    Nero SoundTrax
    Nero Image Drive
    Nero Burning ROM 6
    Nero Cover Designer
    Nero Wave Editor
    Nero Toolkit

Current version: 6.6.0.8
    Release date: February 21st, 2005
    Running until: March 31st, 2005
    Filesize: 30,15 MB (31624861 bytes)
    MD5 checksum: bf750f9152c394b77d4fa76e676dc12b

Package 2

[bold]NeroVision Express 3[/bold] <--- THIS ONE!!!
    Nero Recode 2
    Nero ShowTime 2
    Nero PhotoSnap
    Nero MediaHome

Current version: 3.1.0.0
    Release date: February 22nd, 2005
    Running until: March 31st, 2005
    Filesize: 34,91 MB (36608488 bytes)
    MD5 checksum: bc4b103f708b08d29f577db754807660

burning anything in dvd files or mpegs or avi isnt a one click wonder, you may need conversion / encoding and all this needs varies apps to get to your goal, thats why afterdawn exists to help get this job done

now, DIVXTODVD and DVD SANTA and NERO VISION EXPRESS can take alot of avi type files and do alot of work for you! they will make it from avi to mpeg2 (dvd compliant) and then make vob/bup/ifo for dvd structure and burn the files aswell, i mentioned these as they may be easier to use for you)

tmpgenc is another route and we will leave that for now....

now i did a seacrh in google on this for you alot of people having problems used the latest firmware for your drive to get compatibilty and cure other problems too. go to the makers website and install the new firmware, this itself may cure your problem? not sure yet?

7. R_Z

R_Z Member

Thanks for your reply. I downloaded the file you recommended. It added it to my Nero link in my startup menu. However when I went to use the program, it said I had to buy the dvd burning portion. That's weird. So needless to say, I have now added another useless program to my hard drive.

Yesterday I downloaded a program VSO DivxtoDVD, which was recommended by a friend. I then managed to convert the avi file to a ts file (whatever that is). Inside there were several of the files you mentioned vob/bup/ifo. So, I dragged it into the alloted area of the program and went to burn again. Nope. Still rejected it.

So then just to be sure, I burned a cd-r of drag and drop songs and it went off without a hitch. Needless to say, my frustration level is a bit high today. But, I'm hoping we'll get this solved soon enough.

I still don't know how to give you the info you asked for me to copy and paste here. I guess I need a bit more direction.

Argggggggggggggggggggggggggggggh,
    ron

8. Rotary

Rotary Senior member

what app? and what was the error?

ok, by the sounds of it you used one of the apps i mentioned above, ok, you need these burnt now as you know...

try this load those files to dvd shrink (FREE app) to see if its ok (testing purposes) if it loads your dvd structure is 99.9% ok for burning!

nero should burn these files on ADD-VIDEO but yes you need the serial for dvd/mpeg2 burning so leave this at present...

dvd decrypter will burn these files and the app is free! but it needs to be an iso to burn (iso a wrapper of all files into 1 file!)

now dvd shrink will output to dvd decrypter when you hit backup button and it will burn to dvdr...

try this...

if you get an error now in dvd decrypter copy and paste the log file to this thread!

but i think all things considered it should be ok?

[​IMG]

both dvd decrypter and dvd shrink can be found following my links in picture signature below!

Last edited: Mar 8, 2005
  9. Rotary

Rotary Senior member

hi

just thought!

how big were the files you made in ifo/bup/vob format? if bigger than 4.36gig you need to compress to fit a dvdr!

this may be your error?

but do the above and dvd shrink will shrink to fit on auto! when hitting backup button!

10. Gringle

Gringle Guest

Hi Ron, lets go again 'bout yer problems...
    consider this a non kiddy bump

regards gringle.

11. R_Z

R_Z Member

When I used the divx to dvd program, it created 6 files - video_ts.bup / video_ts.ifo /vts_01_0.bup / vts_01_0.ifo / vts_01_1.vob / vts_01_2.vob

I used Nero Express and put all 6 of those files to be burned. It gets some of the way through and stops. Can not finish a burn to dvd. I tried a few other programs I have downloaded. Nothing.

Hope that helps a bit more. Are these these the files I'm looking for?

I'll try and download the shrink program as well.
    ron

12. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

Ok I have been hearing more and more of these types of posts in AD so I made a guide for doing exactly this. Converting AVI's to DVD. It is now posted at my sight and is called "Convert AVI to DVD" easy enough hu? Anyway everything you need is there and you should be able to make a back up with that guide unless you have other issues with your computer.. The link to my site is in my signature. So give that a shot and then let me know how everything went.. :)

13. R_Z

R_Z Member

BB,
    Well sir, I did as you recommended on your site. I already had the divx to dvd program installed, so I downloaded shrink and loaded the ts files as shown in your diagram. Once they were converted and I clicked backup, it reqeusted a dvd be inserted. It then burned to dvd (a first). Then I took it down to the den dvd player and nothing happened. I hit play and it just sat there. So, I tried redoing the burn with the file saved on the hard drive. Again, burned the dvd and nothing on the dvd player. Gee this is getting frustrating.

And to keep in the spirit of the ole "if it can go wrong it will" catagory, now I find out my burner isn't the +/- I was told, but a + only. Luckily the seller is sending me the proper unit.

So, I'm wondering if that may be the problem? Still why didn't the dvd player (which is about 1 year old) not regognize my dvd+r burner disc after the file showed successful burn?

At least I did get something burned, even if it didn't play.

Thanks, Ron

14. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

It is possible your palyer isnt compatable with that media either the brand name or the format +R? Can you play the DVD in your computer?