1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

newbies...can I convert from avi to play on ps2

Discussion in 'Other video questions' started by mshotrod, Oct 27, 2002.

1. mshotrod

mshotrod Member

i would like to convert avi to play on my ps2, is this possible? Really I would like them to play on all dvd players(PC, ps2, and standard dvd players) can you help me? IS THIS POSSIBLE?

2. HomerJ

HomerJ Moderator Staff Member

mshotrod

Your requirement is quite possible. All you need to do is,

1 Convert your *.AVI file to MPEG2 format / file

2 "Author" your MPEG2 files to DVD standard (*.VOB type files)

What I have written above may look simple, but needs a fair amount of time, effort and sthe right software.

HomerJ

3. mshotrod

mshotrod Member

I read something about avi2str. Do you know anything about this. It supposingly converts it but I don't know. When I tried it, it was in about 36 parts. ThenI wasn't sure how to combine them onto a cd-r? Heck, I wish I could figure this out. Anyway that's for the info, any more suggestions, PLEASE let me know.

4. Dela

Dela Administrator Staff Member

The avi2str method is simply to create a .pss movie stream (ps2 movie type) out of Mpeg-2 6840kbits/sec + wave audio. This as you may have guessed would give u only a few minutes of movie on a cd-r. You would also need a modchip to boot this disk. It's not a good way to go about it and besides, you need the image of the cd (which i have but dont know where to get on the net) which was built for this purpose.

5. PrplFlrp

PrplFlrp Guest

how would you convert .AVI files to MPEG2 format then MPEG2 to DVD (.VOB files)?

6. Dela

Well thats a whole different thing really so I'll leave that to people who know something about dvd-r cause i couldnt tell you the first thing about it!

7. HomerJ

HomerJ Moderator Staff Member

PrplFlrp

To convert AVI files to MPEG2, you need to use an encoder, something like Main Concept, Cinema Craft Encoder (CCE) or TMPGenc.

Once converted you need to then "Author" it.

Use application such as Spruce Up, Sceanarist, ReelDVD, DVD Factory, DVD Workshop.

These processes can be quite complex, and aren't for the faint hearted.

The number of formats and ways of achieving the same end result are quite numerous.

Bottom line is, it's quite possible, but, to get the correct answer, you need to ask the right question.

HomerJ

8. mshotrod

mshotrod Member

Dela-- Thanks for replying. What do you mean "image of the cd"?
    So no matter what format I change my avi files to, I need a modchip in my ps2 first?

9. greenval

greenval Member

surely PS2s can play VCD? So just burn the MPEG to a VCD (nero among others can do this pretty easy..) No need for DVD authoring, or expensive DVD burner...

10. mshotrod

mshotrod Member

green---
    I don't know, I'll try it but everyone I've talked to doesn't so but I hope your right. Thanks for the info. Any other suggestion please tell me....anybody

11. Dela

Ps2's cannot play vcd's!!

What i meant by image of the cd is the entire cd in one file. The cd im talkin about is the one made for the purpose of you being able to change a movie file on it to another movie that you create as a pss stream. However it's too complicated anyway and you will always need a modchip to play it back

12. cliona

cliona Guest

Hi,

Checkout the Gamars extension pack, I believe it allows you to play VCD's on your PS2 without tampering with the PS2 (no modchip, it's add-on).

13. mshotrod

mshotrod Member

Thanks for answering again---
    Where do I find a Gamar's extension pack? And do you know hat format doesn't it play? vcd? Or what? :)