1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Newbies: simple guide 'How to back up a movie'

Discussion in 'User submitted guides' started by alkohol, Nov 12, 2005.

1. swy000

swy000 Member

@alkohol

ya i can pretty much imagine what u got... that should work.. and ur right..
    where i got it from?
    i got it from a friend who got it from a blackmarket (coughs to make sure no one heard)... :p
    thses things arent supposed to be sold like that.. so i watched it, liked it and decided to back it up..if u want me to upload it, i will, but keep im mind its' size and that i upload at a max of 20-25K.... (but really, that IF you wanna go through all the trouble).... pm me if yes and we'll c how we'll get this done

2. alkohol

alkohol Regular member

@swy000

Hummmmm... I guess your last resource would have to be DVD Decrypter for a DVD+R DL (DVD9) backup, if by all means, you can't encode it with either Nero Recode 2 or DVD Shrink. I guess it won't hurt to back it up on a 2.4X Verbatim DVD+R DL then.

(To backup a DVD movie on a DVD+R DL (DVD9) media using DVD Decrypter)

01) Insert the original DVD into your DVD burner or DVD-Rom drive
    02) Open up DVD Decrypter
    03) Click on Mode, ISO, READ R
    04) "source" <-- where the original movie is located
    05) "destination" <-- browse to your hard drive or create a folder aka "My_DVD9_Backup" and browse to the folder, click "Open"then "Save"
    06) Click on "Decrypt" (now sit back and relax until it's completed

**once it's successfully completed ripping into your hard drive**
    01) Click on Mode, ISO, WRITE W
    02) "source" <-- from your folder or hard drive and choose the MDS file
    03) "destination" <-- to your DVD burner (make sure you have a high quality DL media ready to be written)
    04) Click on "Write" (sit back and relax until it's successfully burned.) That's it easy as sipping some Black Label Whisky.

On the other hand, if you want to try other experiment, perhaps you can try to have "ratDVD" to compress and see what's the result. Go here http://www.afterdawn.com/software/video_software/dvd_tools/ratdvd.cfm to download ratDVD (it's free) and or you can visit the "ratDVD discussion forum" for more information.

I hope you'll find a solution in due time.

3. swy000

swy000 Member

hehehe... whiskey eh???? hehehe
    thnx alot...
    does dvd decrypter do booktyping btw automatically?

4. alkohol

alkohol Regular member

@swy000

Yes, DVD Decrypter can easily change the book type to DVD-ROM if you're using any DVD+R DL, DVD+R or DVD+RW. What kind of DVD burner you have by chance? Let me know and I'll see if your burner is capable of changing the book type alright. Keep in mind to always keep your burner's firmware up-to-date alright.

You are right... actually it's "whiskey" but for short it's "whisky." I guess I'm tired of Courvoisier and Hennessey, so I'm cool with Black Label at the moment.

5. gwendolin

gwendolin Senior member

Hey Alkohol, good choice of drink, after that effort you deserve a good stiff one, Cheers

Last edited: Apr 22, 2006
  6. swy000

swy000 Member

ya i know..id say the same...
    alotta people here are so helpful...

thnx alot ...!!!

No No no no no no no no no ... i wasnt correcting ur spelling dude!!! no no no..i was just saying that ur right...!!!! (man, even if i saw that u mispelled it, i wouldnt correct it after all the effort!!!! :s

i have a Toshiba SDR5372V with most updated firmware.... im not too satisfied with it cause a couple of cd's arent readable by it, but its doing ok....

thnx again!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

7. alkohol

alkohol Regular member

@swy000

Well, here is a guide on how to "book type" via DVD Decrypter. This is when you're "ready" to burn to the blank media (DVD+R DL, DVD+R, DVD+RW) only. NOTE: set both of your "source" and "destination" ready, then do the following and burn it.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

8. alkohol

alkohol Regular member

@swy000

Looks like DVD Decrypter doesn't listed your DVD burner in the book type listing. However, I've found something googling on the net that's very interesting about your burner that it does support changing the book type or bitsettings DVD+R and DVD+RW into DVD-ROM automatically. I'm not sure about DVD+R DL media, but hey... it won't hurt to try it on Nero Burning Rom or Nero Express, you know. Here is what I found http://mygimmick.com/myg213/index.php?showtopic=21680&hl= that talks about your burner.

((Here's how to Book Type using Nero Burning Rom))

01) open up Nero StartSmart, then click on Nero Burning Rom
    02) EXIT out the "New Compilation" when it pops up
    03) click on "Chooses A Recorder" (it's a small burner icon next to (I) and the arrow down)
    04) click on “Options," then on "Book Type Settings," set to "Automatic" and click "OK" - that's it... easy as smoking. Now every time when you burn using a DVD+R, DVD+RW or DVD+R DL disc, Nero will “automatically” change the Book Type into a DVD-ROM format.

(Here's how to book type using Nero Express)

01) open up Nero StartSmart, then click on Nero Express
    02) now click on "Copy Entire Disc"
    03) click on "Options," then on "Book Type Settings," set to "Automatic" and click "OK" then "Exit" out. That's it... easy as sipping on some Corona. Again, now every time when you burn using any DVD+R, DVD+RW and DVD+R DL media, Nero will “automatically” change the book type or bitsetting into a DVD-ROM format in prior to the actual burning process.

Basically, you only need to set the "book type setting" on Nero once. So, if you book typed it with Nero Burning Rom already then you don't need to do it again on Nero Express or vice versa.

Enjoyed it...!!

9. sdswaney

sdswaney Regular member

alkcohol, this is a fantastic guide!!
    I tried to print it out for future reference, but only about 3/4 of each page printed out (it left the last few words off of the page).
    So I went back and printed a couple of other guide, everything was alright. I don't know what's wrong.

But even on my monitor, your thread only show about 3/4 's on my screen, I have to slide the bottom bar to read all of the page. I closed your thread clicked on another thread (just to see how it showed up on my monitor) I could read the whole page without moving the slide bar.
    Is something wrong on my end or is it something at AD??

Like I said, it's a great guide. I wish I could print the whole thread out.
    Thanks
    Steve

10. sdswaney

sdswaney Regular member

It's me again, your guide now has two pages. Page 2 reads fine and I can read the whole page without moving my bottom slider left to right, but if I click on your guides 1st page, I can only read part of the page, about the last two inches of the words on the right side (I have to move bottom slider to right to read the right side of the page. ???

11. alkohol

alkohol Regular member

@sdswaney (Steve)

Well, I think that is because a few of the sentences were a bit long when members replied. However, if you want to have the pictures with the whole guide, then I suggest you click on this thread, wait for the "loading gets done" and print it (with the pictures too) via your printer -- so it'll be super easy when you follow my guide. After printing, just keep the "guide" and any necessary stuff only - you can trash whatever "replies" that you think it's not important to you.

Here is another guide I wrote for Newbies to help troubleshoot DMA issues. DMA is very important when it comes to DVD burnings -- all your DMA needs to be "On" or "DMA if available" to have a full speed of ripping and burning.

((To enable DMA back ON by "uninstalling" its driver “for Win XP users” by alkohol))

Here are some helpful pictures for references.

A) on "DESKTOP" right click on "MY COMPUTER," left click on "PROPERTIES"
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

B) left click on "HARDWARE," left click on "DEVICE MANAGER"
    [​IMG]

C) left click on + sign of IDE ATA/ATAPI Controllers
    [​IMG]

D) double left click on either “Primary” or “Secondary IDE Channel”
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

E) left click on "DRIVER," left click on "UNINSTALL"
    [​IMG]
    You will see a "Warning: you are about to uninstall this device from your system," just click "OK," now "SHUTDOWN" or "Restart" your computer
    F) once you restarted your computer, Windows should automatically detect your DVD burner’s drive and re-install it for you. That's it...easy as smoking!!

**NOTE: do these steps only if the above process failed to bring DMA back on, or you can do exactly like the above steps, except this time you "Uninstall" it from the “DVD/CD-ROM Drives”

****at Device Manager****
    (A) left click on + sign of DVD/CD-ROM Drives
    (B) double left click on your DVD burner or your DVD-ROM drive
    (C) click on "DRIVER," "UNINSTALL," "OK" and then "Shutdown" or "Restart" your computer. That's it... easy as smoking!!!
    [​IMG]

12. JeffCobra

JeffCobra Member

Awesome guide Alkohol!! I'd been using "DVD Copy Tools" and had mostly good luck with it...BUT it's not too flexible around sizes and shrinking. It's simple, to be sure, but...well, I just got a new version and will report on the latest.

Anyway, I followed your procedure precisely (except that I have the trial version of Nero (7.0.1.2), so I had to adapt a bit). No real trouble. So I backed up a DVD last night ("Lost" - Season 1, Disk 6 - a disc I could NOT backup using DVD Copy Tools). I was delighted to find that following your procedure, I managed to cram the whole thing on to a disc... made two copies even (one on a Maxell DVD+R and one on a Maxell DVD+RW).

Here's the rub. The copies play on my computer just fine (an HP z545 Digital Entertainment Center with WinXP-sp2 MCE and a LiteOn SOHW-1633S/BPSD), and also plays on my stand alone Sony DVD Recorder (RDR-GX7).

However they won't play on my Phillips stand-alone DVD recorder (shows blank), or my other normal DVD players - the one in my wifes 04 Honda mini van, and other Sony players in my house (2-3 years old).

For what it's worth, I have trouble getting playable copies on DVD Copy Tools too.

Alkohol - you seem like a "DVD ripping God" - Can you help me? Is my burner crap? Is my Maxell media crap? Am I doing something wrong?

13. JeffCobra

JeffCobra Member

Oh - I should mention that I never saw anything about Book-typing (automatic or otherwise). Perhaps this is my issue? I went to LiteOn and it say firmware didn't support it...and I have the latest firmware. :-(

14. sdswaney

sdswaney Regular member

Thanks alkohol for responding so fast. I printed out your guide on DRM, it printed fine.
    Again, I clicked on your thread (guide)"http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/256436"
    I have the same problem as above, not just text but also some of your pictures are oversize. Am I going crazy? heck I don't know.

Will you look at page 1 and then back to page 2, don't you see a different format (size) or something between the two pages??
    Thanks for the comeback and the DRM guide.
    Steve

15. alkohol

alkohol Regular member

@JeffCobra

Welcome.... well, honestly I have never used "DVD Copy Tools" to backup or burns DVDs for me. So I can't really comment on that program/application. However, I strongly deemed that if you have the programs/applications that I mentioned (DVD Decrypter, Nero Recode 2 and Nero Burning Rom) and use my guide to follow, then you're likely to have a successfully backup in no time.

Book Typing is very useful, it's good and it's one of the best and safest way to go -- especially, if you owned alot of dvd players, and or if you want to play it inside your van/car. And yes.... DVD-ROM is the "best or universal" format for all functional stand alone dvd players. As a matter of fact, all commercial (original DVDs & original PS2 games) are pressed as DVD-ROM, therefore, any of your dvd players and PS2 console can play any original DVDs smoothly. Lite-On has its own "Book Type Utility" that can change any DVD+R, DVD+R DL and DVD+RW into DVD-ROM automatically in prior to the burning progress.

Here are two very useful links to have, you can "download" the "Lite-On Book Type Utility" to run and use it on your Lite-On burner. Or you can set the "Book Type Settings" inside Nero Burning Rom or Nero Express and it will "automatically" changes the book type into DVD-ROM flawlessly.

http://www.k-probe.com/kprobe-bitsetting-booktype.php (Lite-On Book Type Utility Instructions.)
    http://www.liteonit.com/ODD/English/e_downloads/e_utility.asp (Lite-On Book Type Utility Program.)

((Here's how to Book Type using Nero Burning Rom))

01) open up Nero StartSmart, then click on Nero Burning Rom
    02) EXIT out the "New Compilation" when it pops up
    03) click on "Chooses A Recorder" (it's a small burner icon next to (I) and the arrow down)
    04) click on “Options," then on "Book Type Settings," set to "Automatic" and click "OK" - that's it... easy as smoking. Now every time when you burn using a DVD+R, DVD+RW or DVD+R DL disc, Nero will “automatically” change the Book Type into a DVD-ROM format.

(Here's how to book type using Nero Express)

01) open up Nero StartSmart, then click on Nero Express
    02) now click on "Copy Entire Disc"
    03) click on "Options," then on "Book Type Settings," set to "Automatic" and click "OK" then "Exit" out. That's it... easy as sipping on some Corona. Again, now every time when you burn using any DVD+R, DVD+RW and DVD+R DL media, Nero will “automatically” change the book type or bitsetting into a DVD-ROM format in prior to the actual burning process.

Basically, you only need to set the "book type setting" on Nero once. So, if you book typed it with Nero Burning Rom already then you don't need to do it again on Nero Express or vice versa.

Maxell(s) are high quality media, especially if they're the Maxell 8X DVD+R (made in japan) -- this is Maxell's High Grade media. I've used tons of them and I've never experienced any issues whatsoever. It is very critical when it comes to burning and most importantly don't use cheap media, if you value the "quality and longevity" of your backups, then I highly encourage you to get genuine Taiyo Yuden, Verbatim and Maxell (M.I.J only). They're my top 3 choices of media. Remember to always keep your dvd burner's firmware up to date and "DON'T" burn any higher than 4X. Even if I'm using top notch media like Yuden (YUDEN000T02), I still burn at 4X only because I never want to see any coasters.

16. alkohol

alkohol Regular member

@sdswaney

That is because (swy000) posted a few big pictures, but it's ok -- that's why the first page is bigger and therefore, you'll need to scroll a little to the right. However, I've revised my guide and I've tried to shorten them out, so you shouldn't have any problem seeing and or printing them at all.

17. mundokev

mundokev Member

Hi

My drive is as follows (along with the details from source) for the last DVD +R DL I burned

HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GSA-4163B A105 (ATA)
    Current Profile: DVD-ROM

Disc Information:
    Erasable: No
    Sessions: 1
    Sectors: 3,865,760
    Size: 7,917,076,480 bytes
    Time: 859:05:35 (MM:SS:FF)

Physical Format Information (Last Recorded):
    Book Type: DVD-ROM
    Part Version: 1
    Disc Size: 120mm
    Maximum Read Rate: 10.08Mbps
    Number of Layers: 2
    Track Path: Opposite Track Path (OTP)
    Linear Density: 0.293 um/bit
    Track Density: 0.74 um/track
    First Physical Sector of Data Area: 196,608
    Last Physical Sector of Data Area: 16,557,599
    Last Physical Sector in Layer 0: 2,140,991

Layer Information:
    Layer 0 Sectors: 1,944,384 (50.3%)
    Layer 1 Sectors: 1,921,376 (49.7%)

I presume it worked from these details - do I have to set the book type for every DVD +R DL I use or do you think it will retain the setting

Thanks

18. mundokev

mundokev Member

Hi again

Just found out that I had posted before I read the second lot of pages .....DOH....

Anyhow, I burned my first DVD +R DL yesterday and when finished tried it in my standalone dvd player to no avail.

I then found out about setting the booktype, which I did in dvd decrypter and the player now can read my second attempt fine.

Having just read the above about making the changes in Nero, my setting are already on Automatic, so I wondered why it would have not changed the type to DVD-ROM in the first place, or am I being stupid again

19. JeffCobra

JeffCobra Member

Alkohol - Thanks mon, I definitely owe ya a few brews. :)

Interestingly, I can find NO PLACE to set my "booktype" - even following your procedure. It just ain't there. I even went to LiteOn's WEB and it said no way ("Firmware no support" - Good english, eh?).

Anyway - I still had my re-coded data files, so I just burned two more, one on Maxell 8x DVD+R, and one on some TDK DVD+R's I had (and never had much luck with).

When I put the TDK blank in, Disc Info says "DVD+R" under book type. After I burned the disc, disc info said "DVD-ROM", so it changed (as if by PFM - Uh...pure - MAGIC). My Sony standalone burner played the TDK but it said the disc was dirty. My Sony DVP-S560d wouldn't play it at all ("No Disc").

The Maxell +R plays in all my machines, EVEN in my DVP-S560d, which seems to be the fussiest.

So, the question(s) are:

1. Can I assume that the Maxell DVD+R is WAY better than the TDK +R's, and can I further assume that the Maxell DVD+R is better than the Maxell DVD+RW? I don't know where the Maxell +R's are made, but the +RW's are made in Taiwan.

2. Am I just having media issues? Or are all my players just crap?

Finally, does Nero allow me to make AVI files out of these de-coded movies? That'd be slick!!

20. sdswaney

sdswaney Regular member

Thank you alkohol, the guide printed just fine. I really appreciate you taking the time to go back in your guide and making it smaller, so as I could print it out. thanks again!