1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Newbies: simple guide 'How to back up a movie'

Discussion in 'User submitted guides' started by alkohol, Nov 12, 2005.

1. amyis

amyis Member

I made sure I was in the DVD mode and tried and nothing...the "DVD" part is grayed out so all I see is a grayed out CD.
    Amy

2. amyis

amyis Member

Thats after I select Nero Burning ROM

3. alkohol

alkohol Regular member

@amyis

Do you have a dvd burner by chance? What kind/model is your dvd burner?

Right after you click/open up Nero Burning Rom, you need to choose "DVD" on that little drop down menu on the top left corner. Then choose "DVD-Video" and click on New. Now just browse to your hard drive and look for your dvd files and burn them. Here is the picture for reference again.

[​IMG]

4. amyis

amyis Member

Thats the problem I have...that drop down menu is grayed out! Yep, I had my brother check and it is a burning rom..all this software was on it when I purchased it, used :D I downloaded the newest Nero version so its in Demo mode..could that be it?
    Amyis

5. alkohol

alkohol Regular member

@amyis

What version is your Nero? Even if it's a demo, I think it probably will burn if the trial is not over yet. Now, I'm not so sure about your burning rom? but I know for a fact that a DVD-ROM drive can not burn dvds. It can read and play dvds only. It looks like you don't have a dvd burner -- again, what brand/model is it?

6. amyis

amyis Member

ACK! Ill have too look, be patient with me this tech stuff is WAY over my head! LOL! I know my computer has a DVD rom but its not a burning one. Let me see what I can find out for you and thanks for your help!
    Amyis

7. amyis

amyis Member

Ok...it says its a Sony CDRW/DVD CRX8308
    knowing my luck its not what I need! LOL
    Amy

8. alkohol

alkohol Regular member

Hmmmm... I can't find that name/model listed on the Sony's website, so I can't really say it's a dvd burner or not. It looks like a cd burner to me (I may be wrong though). Go here http://sony.storagesupport.com and check on dvd burners/cd burners and dvd-rom drives.

Maybe you want to try uninstall your Nero and reinstall it back on, and give it another shot. Don't lose hope yet alright.

9. amyis

amyis Member

Thanks so much for your help..Ill check that link out. Ive acutally uninstalled nero probably three times now and decided on the third to upgrade! LOL! Thanks so much!
    Amyis

10. amyis

amyis Member

Well I cant find out either! LOL! I'm going to get in contact with the previous owner and ask him how he was burning...maybe that will solve this mystery! Sorry for hyjacking this thread!
    Amyis

11. Lunchcake

Lunchcake Member

Alkohol - mad props for getting this together. A few questions I haven't found in the thread yet:
    1) in Letter E ("click on "Edit" then "select all" in using DVD Decrypter, the 8th image, you note that you must select all. Aren't all the files already selected, and this is a redundant step unless you click on one of the files in the highlighted area on the right?
    2) Not too sure on the tech side, but NERO recodes the dvd to fit on a 4.7 GB disk. If the disks were larger, like a 8GB dual layer disk, would one get better quality by not custom fitting the target to 4.4 mb and instead setting the target at 8 gb? Working on the assumption that shrinking loses quality.
    3) Would there be any benefit to clicking both "Advanced Analyses" and "High Quality mode (slow recording)" in NERO?

Thanks - you've made this incredibly easy.

12. alkohol

alkohol Regular member

@Lunchcake

Keep in mind that this mini guide I wrote is specifically for newbies and yes, it's for "encoding & compressing" to fit on a 4.7GB DVD-R or DVD+R disc only. Cheers now.

Yes, you are right on that. That is an extra steps for "double check/to make sure" you'll have every files selected in prior to the ripping process. Sometimes we made mistake by clicking on one of the files on the right or anywhere on the screen, so by going to "Edit" and "Select All", you won't lose any files when ripping with DVD Decrypter. However, you can always disregard that if you know exactly what you're doing.

If you have a DL media (8GB disc), then yes... you can just do a 1:1 straight up copy from the hard drive to your burner with the DVD+R DL media without encoding or compressing. This is your choice of backing up dvd movies because it's obvious that DL media are still very expensive at the moment.

You're welcome. Yes, there is a big differences by using both "Advanced Analysis" and "High Quality mode (slow recording)", it will produces the "best/highest quality" in results. I've tested it a few times, without using "Advanced & High Quality mode" and I can notices the quality has changed a lil bit. In addition, you'll have to set the "Video settings" inside More, to the "Highest" to enhance the quality. Look at picture below for details.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Enjoyed it and happy burning!!!

13. sospoon54

sospoon54 Guest

Hey alkohol does burning ps2 games work the same way as burning DVDs with the nero recode and burner ?

14. alkohol

alkohol Regular member

@sospoon54

Yes, but it's slightly different. If the PS2 game(s) is over 4.5GB, then you'll need to "rebuild" them (ie shrink), instead it's totally different from DVD Shrink or Nero Recode 2. For more info, go to the PS2 DVD backups forum, or go here http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/275350 for more info on "how to rebuild a DVD9 PS2 game(s) into DVD5". If the PS2 game(s) you're trying to backup is 4.5GB or under, then all you need to do is have DVD Decrypter to:

- MODE, ISO, READ R (to your hard drive)
    - click on DECRYPT (wait until it's successfully completed)

- MODE, ISO, WRITE (to your dvd burner with a high quality media)
    - browse to your hard dirve and look for the file(s) and choose the MDS or ISO file
    - set your writing speed to 4X
    - click on WRITE (sit tight and wait until it's completed... that's it)

Updated 12-27-2005: "How to burn PS2 game using Nero Express, including NEED FOR SPEED MOST WANTED"

This is just a "mini guide" for those that have not burned their PS2 games using Nero Express and or this is mainly for burning any 4.5GB PS2 games or for burning "an already rebuild ISO PS2 games" only. Give it a shot and see how you like it. Again, the choice is yours (either ImgBurn, DVD Decrypter ro Nero is fine).

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Enjoyed it, happy burning and Happy Holidays!!!!

15. z3n

z3n Member

Thank you for the thorough walkthrough alkohol. However, I encountered a problem that I couldn't seem to get rid of. I got through the analysis part but when it came to encoding it failed around 80%. Reason was "Out of memory". I've tried to disabled all the startup programs but it still doesnt work. I have 1GB of RAM btw. I'd really appreciate it if you can help me with that. Sorry if this has already been posted before. Happy Holidays!

16. alkohol

alkohol Regular member

What movie is it? I mean the one that's giving you an error of "out of memory"? 99% when you're encoding/transcoding any dvds and it's giving you an "out of memory" error is likely to be a "Macrovision's RipGuard" protection.

To fix this issue you'll need VobBlanker to run and filter out all the bad/protected sectors. Then re-encode/transcode via Nero Recode 2 again and you shouldn't have any more "out of memory" issues?

Get your free VobBlanker here http://members.aol.com/posunplugged/jsoto/VobBlanker_2010_exe.zip

Or get your free DVDFAB Decrypter here http://69.73.173.59/download/DVDFabDecrypter29.exe

I was thinking about updating this thread and add VobBlanker for the 2nd step before using Nero Recode 2, so maybe I might add "VobBlanker" in the next couple more days. VobBlanker is extremely useful when it comes to "Macrovision's RipGuard" or "Sony's ARccOS", it can filter and you can actually "BLANK" them out. Once you run VobBlanker, then everything should runs/transcode smoothly afterward.

Again, to solve your problem with "out of memory" issues. Try to do as the following for your next movie.

(A) once after ripping with either DVD Decrypter via Mode, File F into your hard drive.

(B) or once you have DVDFAB Decrypter ripped the movie files into your hard drive. You need to run your VIDEO_TS.IFO folder with VobBlanker, and after it's completed with VobBlanker, you can encode/transcode easily with Nero Recode 2 or DVD Shrink (your choice of transcoding engine - I prefer Nero Recode though).

**NOTE: for this guide, I will use "The Brothers Grimm". If for some reason you don't know what/which PGCs or TTN to "BLANK" out, just set your "INPUT" and "OUTPUT" folder correctly and then press "PROCESS" and you should be fine as well.

I ripped it with DVD Decrypter via Mode, File F successfully. Then use VobBlanker to "blank" out PGC #2 from VTS_01_*.VOB and PGC #1 --> #5 of VTS_02_*.VOB, then PROCESS went smoothly. Encoded with Nero Recode 2, and burned with Nero Burning Rom easily.

**Tools need: DVD Decrypter, VobBlanker and DVD Shrink or Nero Recode 2 (your choice of preference). Here's what you need to do:

** get free VobBlanker here http://members.aol.com/posunplugged/jsoto/VobBlanker_2010_exe.zip

**NOTE: before ripping the movie with DVD Decrypter, go to your C: drive or Hard drive, make a folder name NEW_BROTHERS GRIMM and make a sub-folder name VIDEO_TS inside "NEW_BROTHERS GRIMM", then Exit out.

1) rip the movie with DVD Decrypter via MODE, File F into your hard drive. Once it's completed, exit out.

2) open up VobBlanker: (A) set your "input = source" this is your files that was ripped by DVD Decrypter earlier. (B) set your "output = destination"<-- browse to your hard drive and look for NEW_BROTHERS GRIMM, VIDEO_TS, click Open/OK

3) (A) click on VTS_01_*.VOB, now "BLANK" out PGC #2 on the bottom window. (B) click on VTS_02_*.VOB, now "BLANK" out PGC #1, PGC #2, PGC #3, PGC #4 and PGC #5. (C) Once these are marked BLANK, click "PROCESS". That's it.... now sit tight and wait for VobBlanker to process and filter out all those junks until it's completed. VobBlanker should take somewhere like 10 - 15 minutes only.

4) (A) open up Nero Recode 2, Import your newly created VIDEO_TS files that VobBlanker has done processed. (B) or open up DVD Shrink, click Open Files,now browse to your newly created folder NEW_BROTHERS GRIMM, VIDEO_TS and perform your usual steps of shrinking. That's it.... easy as sippin' on some Hennessey.

The method I provided works 100% for any dvd movies that has RipGuard protection, such as "Madagascar, SKY HIGH, The Brothers Grimm, The Great Raid" and "STEALTH", which has Sony's ARccOS. However, to "BLANK" out which "VTS.XX.*.VOB" and "PGCs" may be varied (or to be determined) with different dvds, but that shouldn't be hard. PgcEdit usually tells you which VTS that carried the bad sectors (bad protected sectors or junks) when you ripped the movie with DVD Decrypter via MODE, File F or DVDFAB Decrypter.

**NOTE: again, the method I used works beautifully. I've already tested and watched my backup and it plays flawlessly on 2 of my standalone dvd players.

If you runs into any more issues, then let me know and I'll see what I can do to help out alright. Good luck... happy burning and Happy Holidays!!!!

Last edited: Dec 27, 2005
  17. gerri2003

gerri2003 Member

Great guide! Thank you, I can't wait to use tonight! It's just what I was looking for.

18. z3n

z3n Member

YES! The movie I was trying to rip is indeed "Madagascar" haha. It's been a while since I've ran into somebody as knowledgeable as you. Thanks a ton Mr. Alkohol. Looking forward to read more from you and Happy Holidays!

19. alkohol

alkohol Regular member

@z3n

You're welcome, I'm here to help those that are willing to listen and follow. Anyways, here's what you need to do in order for you to get a successful backup (fully working "full disc") of Madagascar.

Madagascar has the latest Macrovision's RipGuard protection and or b!tch, but it's super easy as smokin'.

Here's what you need to do, and I GUARANTEE YOU that you'll be able to have a "successfully working full disc" within 45 minutes. Yeah, you hear me, that's right... a full disc guarantee to work.

**TOOLS NEED: DVDFAB Decrypter or DVD Decrypter (your choice), VobBlanker and DVD Shrink.

Get free VobBlanker here http://members.aol.com/posunplugged/jsoto/VobBlanker_2010_exe.zip

Get free DVDFAB Decrypter here http://69.73.173.59/download/DVDFabDecrypter29.exe

**EXTRA STEP: now pop a bottle of Tequila or Vodka and have at least 5 shots before the show's gonna begin (this will definitely soup up your ripping and backing up procedures.)

(A) have DVD Decrypter to rip via Mode, File F into your hard drive, and wait until it's done, then closed DVD Decrypter.

(B) or have DVDFAB Decrypter rip into your hard drive, once DVDFAB Decrypter is done, closed DVDFAB Decrypter.

(1) open up your hard drive and make a folder name NEW_MADGASCAR, now go inside NEW_MADAGASCAR and make a sub-folder name VIDEO_TS <--yes type EXACTLY like this, then EXIT out from your hard drive. **NOTE: this is your NEW folder that you're going to use with DVD Shrink.

(2) open up VobBlanker: (A) "input = source" (browse to your VIDEO_TS folder that was ripped by either DVD Decrypter or DVDFAB Decrypter earlier). (B) "output = destination"<-- browse to your new folder NEW_MADAGASCAR, VIDEO_TS and click OPEN or OK (this is your new folder that you're going to encode/transcode or shrink with DVD Shrink once VobBlanker is completd).

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

(3) click on VTS_8_VOB and highlight PGC 2, PGC 3, PGC 4, PGC 5 then "BLANK" them out, now click on PROCESS.

[​IMG]

That's it... sit tight and wait until VobBlanker is done (VobBlanker should take 10 - 15 minutes only). Now VobBlanker will process and filter any bad sectors/encrypted junks out. Once it's successfully completed, you can encode/compress with Nero Recode 2 following the steps on my guide on this thread, or you can have DVD Shrink to do the shrinking procedures, and burn this b!tch at your desire burning engine.

Enjoyed it...... happy burning and happy holidays!!!!!

**NOTE: I GUARANTEE 100% that you'll have a fully working "full disc", if followed the above steps wisely. It's only a 3 steps that's all. Again, all I'm doing is trying to help those that DON'T HAVE AnyDVD or is having problem with DVD43, and or has failed trying other methods basically. Seriously, VobBlanker is the sh!t you'll ever need when it comes to RipGuard or ARccOS.

20. z3n

z3n Member

Thanks again for the clear instructions. However, I came accross a problem again during VOB VTS_08 process using VobBlanker. It said "Error reading input VOB: Unsynchronized". Do you have any suggestions? Thanks in advance