1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Newbies: simple guide 'How to back up a movie'

Discussion in 'User submitted guides' started by alkohol, Nov 12, 2005.

1. Rotary

Rotary Senior member

hi there alkohol

i just read all this thread - wow

some brilliant stuff in here... but i have a question for you, will the new AnyDVD come with the new protections sorted out? so you wont need the vobBlanker part just rip with DvdD then shrink it and burn?

thx...

2. alkohol

alkohol Regular member

@J66

Honestly, to answer your question, if you just "process and filter" through VobBlanker, then most likely 95% - 100% you'll have successful backup (I may be wrong though because I'm not a VobBlanker guru - I wish I am, but I have decent knowledge with VobBlanker and have been using for a while). On the other hand, if you know which PGCs/TTNs or Cells (reference from PgcEdit combo with PSL Plugin) to "BLANK" out, then you'll have a successful backup 100% after VobBlanker completed the processing.

Yes, I definitely agree that VobBlanker is good to "edit, cut, preview and blank out" any junks that you don't needed ie trailers, previews, FBI warnings, commentary, etc.

3. alkohol

alkohol Regular member

@Rotary

Again, honestly in my opinion, NO. If you have the latest AnyDVD you shouldn't have to worry. I know AnyDVD is keen for cracking encrypted protections, it is arguably one of the greatest cracking engine at this very moment. Ironically, on few occasion, I've seen very few members that has AnyDVD running, but failed to backup a few of the latest dvd movies released.

Believe it or not, I still don't have (haven't use) AnyDVD yet. I ripped all of my dvd movies with either DVD Decrypter or DVDFAB Decrypter, and so far it has never let me down. Maybe in the near future, when both DVD Decrypter and DVDFAB Decrypter can no longer decrypt any of the newer encrypted protections (or protected sectors), then for sure I'll look into AnyDVD.

Cheers now!!

Last edited: Jan 2, 2006
  4. Bcriptic

Bcriptic Guest

Anyone???

What version Nero has the Recode???
    Or where can I snag a copy of it???

My Nero doesn't have it... :eek:{

5. J66

J66 Member

Recode 2 is on the newest Nero update 6.6.0.18(which I use all the time). Just released in November and available from Nero's website. It's also in Nero 7...

6. alkohol

alkohol Regular member

@Bcriptic

You'll need to have a full/legit version of Nero 6 Ultra or Nero 7 Ultra/Premium in order to get Nero Recode 2 -- Recode 2 is on their package #2 when downloaded from Nero's website.

Nero Recode 2 is awesome, it's one of my favorite transcoding/encoding engine, especially with "Advanced Analysis" and "High Quality Mode". Below is what I have mine set to and so far, I'm satisfied.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 3, 2006
  7. 2oldGeek

2oldGeek Active member

Hey alcohol,
    Have you ever tried this?
    I was playing around and copying “Brothers Grimm” in as many different ways as I could, just trying to find the easiest way to copy the new RipGuard/bad sector protection, etc.

I ripped with DVDDecrypter in the ISO Read mode.
    Opened DVDShrink and went to File -> Open Disk Image and found the ISO File.
    I then Shrunk and burned with Decrypter.

Smooth as Silk……….. Perfect Copy, No Glitches or Errors what-so-ever…….

Lightning UK and Shrink are still the Kings!

Last edited: Jan 4, 2006
  8. JeffCobra

JeffCobra Member

Greetings!

I've suddenly started to stumble in to a problem.. Right after Nero ReCode starts and Advanced Analysis has completed, I get an "Out Of Memory" error. Happens on some decrypted disks, but not others. My machine has 2gb of memory, and 200gb of space free...so I don't think I'm really out of memory. I've also shut down any apps that might've been running, and still run "out of memory".

Whats up with that?

9. creaky

creaky Moderator Staff Member

try DVDFab Decrypter (free) for the troublesome movies..

10. DatNDuong

DatNDuong Guest

Hi alkohol

Thanks alot for your guide. I followed and it worked perfectly. I have one problem, though. I can never burn a long DVD with a double-layer disc using your guide. I don't know why. It works well with one-layer discs, but not with double-layer ones. The double-layer media I used was Memorex, by the way. The disc, after getting burned and put into the player, just played in a few seconds and got stopped. Do you have any advice?

Thanks again for your guide.

11. Rotary

Rotary Senior member

hi

i think theres a new update for anydvd for a couple of newer protections that just came out...

12. sutran

sutran Regular member

What's up man...i know this is a very old post but i have to tell you Kick ass i'm new in this burning things.In fact i just burned my first DVD(revenge of the sith)i follow your guide and it was perfect,i mean if someone can't do it with your post better go and rent movies at blockbuster...
    10 out of 10 you are the best f*** the rest!!!

13. brobear

brobear Guest

DatNDuong
    You'll find some changes needed for some of the newer releases. As Rotary pointed out, there's a new release for AnyDVD. DVDIdle also updated their software, including the free DVDFab Decrypter. One thing that is happening is newer copyright protection on some releases are causing compliance errors. For those processing to repair with VobBlanker or FixVTS may be needed. Though DVD Decrypter and Recode 2 will do a lot of movies, sometimes more is needed.
    [signature] !!

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 22, 2006
  14. jkitall

jkitall Member

Hey guys, Got a problem here... I'm trying to rip COPOTE and I just can't figure out this new Sony ARccOS protection. I have put days into this and I have got nowhere... deadends everywhere. Seems to me that all guides put out there on this are either wrong\incorrect, incomplete and\or just plain don't work!!! I am so frustrated and tired of this... Sony has me by the @#$%&. Can anyone help? Is there a thorough enough guide that actually works? P.S. DVDdecrypter will not decrypt\rip VTS_01_1.VOB, gets every read error type decrypter defines(starting about 16,000 sectors into file) and will continue like this and never get beyond this point. I tried decrypting w/ DVDFab Decrypter and it took like 40 days and 40 nights('bout 5 or 6 hours) for it to complete and it seemed to work, but neither Nero nor Shrink would touch what it produced. These files looked correct, but Nero says file not found and Shrink says protection read error(or some BS like that). Please... someone(who really knows what they're talking about) HELP!!!

15. brobear

brobear Guest

Bad Sector errors or copyright protection induced errors cause similar problems. With any of the supported ripper software, make sure you have the most recent version. With some of the newer releases, PgcEdit and the PSL2 system are required with DVDD, or one can do it the easy way ripping with the new ripper included with AnyDVD.

Quick method, rip with AnyDVD ripper and use the HDD files as the source. If it takes an exceptionally long time, do a read scan of the source DVD to see if you have a bad press (scan shows bad sectors). I use AnyDVD + DVD Decrypter (with preferred Slysoft settings) and process for compliance as necessary with FixVTS. The cleaned source should work with Recode or any other backup app that can open HDD files.

FixVTS is freeware, just google; you can get a full function AnyDVD trial download at http://www.slysoft.com/ .

DVDFab Decrypter has been doing most of the new releases with the heavy copyright protection. Were you using the latest version? Check out http://www.DVDIdle.com/ . DVDFab Decrypter 2.9.7.6 (04/14/2006)
    [bold][edited out link to .exe][/bold]

16. jkitall

jkitall Member

BroBear, I appreciate the response! Are u saying that "PgcEdit and the PSL2" are seperate software or are u saying that these are part of the newer vers of DVDD? I have the last ver of DVDD. U are correct when u say, "copyright protection induced errors", this is possible w/ DVDD... I know this, but can't figure it out. My biggest problem in the end is I was too stuck on trying to use DVDD. So the good news is that I found the best guide in this forum website @ http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/303153 written by Arniebear 13. February 2006 @ 15:03. I was finally able to decrypt! wooooooooohoooooo! I have no idea why DVDFAB messed up the other 2 times I tried, but it works now baby! For everyone that has any issues with this Sony ARccOS crap, this is the way! Good luck to all and happy burning! [bold]The BEARS RULE!!![/bold] (ARNIEBEAR andBROBEAR!!!) Thanks guys. :)

17. brobear

brobear Guest

PgcEdit is a separate program from DVD Decrypter. LUK hasn't been supporting DVDD for about a year now. PSL2 are the files used as instructions by DVDD for ripping a DVD with copyright protection its not programmed for. These were supplied while DVDD was still being supported as a stop gap method while the author was in the process of updating. Alkohol may have some info on the process if you're interested.

The FixVTS (free) that I mentioned is for DVD compliance processing and is a bit more simple for the task than VobBlanker. The VobBlanker has more options. Both are good tools. You have options, so some choices are still left to you. Good luck and have fun.

You're welcome.

[edited (by herbsman) signature out of post as its too large & seen in last 3 posts ... might wanna uncheck use signature box if posting so much in succession] !!!

18. wibfoot

wibfoot Member

HELP! I have followed the directions all the way to Nero recode analysis. I then get error msg unknown error occured in the VOB encounter. I am using a SONY burner and verbatim media. the SONY DVD's are my ony trouble, I have tried all I know how too. Can you help?

19. jkitall

jkitall Member

Wibfoot

I figured out that the reason for Dvdfab decrypter worked for me the second time was because I installed Anydvd. I tested it out to see if this was the case and sure enough it was. Dvdfab would complete the process after about 4-5 hours without Anydvd installed and produced unusable files. After installing Anydvd the process took only 10 minutes any was beautiful! Try Anydvd it seems to work in the background contributing to the decrypter as add-on.

20. sutran

sutran Regular member

what's going on...
    alkohol i used your guide before is very good i have no problems at all
    i copied revenge of the sith and even king kong wich is damn long movie...
    anyways now i have another DVD burner(external)so i want to know wich program should i use to copy DVD to DVD like we all do with audio disc...

thanks