1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

newsgroups question

Discussion in 'Usenet newsgroups - Help, how-tos and discussion' started by guessswho, Oct 22, 2008.

1. guessswho

guessswho Active member

So this is pretty dumb, but I've never used newsgroups before, and I'm thinking about it. I read the guide on here how to use them, and I've had one question.

When you search, and find the file that you want, (if I am using it to backup a scratched copy of an xbox 360 game I own), would the file size need to be the same size as what I expect the 360 image to be? Or is it like a torrent, where I download a small file, which links me to the larger file to download?

I'm pretty sure I get a .nfz which links me to the larger file, I'm new to them, so just wanted to ensure. Thanks

2. yzrider22

yzrider22 Regular member

This is the best place to learn about newsgroups.I will never ever Dl a torrent again after using a newsgroups.You don't have to share in newsgroups.

3. guessswho

guessswho Active member

sweet man. Thanks

4. CawkFour

CawkFour Regular member

for rippin on people about asking a redundant question like 'will the new update ban my xbox 360' it's kinda ironic that you make a post like this when you can find a wealth of information on it easily just by looking a little ;)

that slyck guide is a great high level view of newsgroups as a whole. i just started about 2 weeks ago and used that guide along with this one to get me started. very informative. newsgroups are a little tricky to understand at first but once you get it... piece of cake.

i use astraweb as my news server, newsleecher as my newsgrabber and nzbmatrix (along with newzbin) as my indexing sites. they work great and are easy to use for about 20$(US) a month. although if you search around you're going to find people that swear by/hate every service out there so you just have to find what works best for you.

5. guessswho

guessswho Active member

well, it was obvious that I did a search based on the specific question I ask, not an overall "what are newsgroups". So thanks for that try

But actually thanks for the sites. I'm looking at them both. I think I'm going to end up using giganews, unless someone has some serious reasons for using another, then I would be free to hear and ask why.

6. CawkFour

CawkFour Regular member

from what i've read, i feel that giganews is the most popular and for the most part, people are very satisfied with it.

i went with astraweb because of the price point, 20 connections (which run the same as 10 on my machine so pointless) and ssl. i haven't had any issues so far but as i said... i'm brand new to this.

i think the big thing that giganews has over astraweb is the larger retention rate.

Last edited: Oct 22, 2008
  7. yzrider22

yzrider22 Regular member

I use Usenetserver It's Cheap enough ,Also they have a unlimited Dl's 3 day account for 3$ if you wanna try them out.I was thinking of trying astraweb But haven't got around to it yet.I went to the 10 connection cause my speed wasn't no faster with 20.It take's me 1hr 10 min to get a 360 Game and 6 to 10 min a xvid movie no matter how many conections I am running.