1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

nic on xbox shorted after electricity hit... any practical solutions

Discussion in 'Xbox - Hardware mods' started by dennisv9, Jul 4, 2009.

1. dennisv9

dennisv9 Regular member

after electricity hit my house, a power surge went to the network cable and fried the nic chip in my xbox. it gives all zero's on the ip address and err. i will not try to solder that chip out and put a new one in, besides finding that chip i will never get it soldered in (or out for that matter). my soldering skills end with installing modchips and fixing corroded traces. (and by now buying a second hand xbox is much cheaper than putting a lot of time into resoldering the nic chip)

is there a practical way of getting data to that harddrive (quick) since ftp is not an option anymore? i could solder an usb port onto the xbox (that is easy) and get a 2 gig usb key, but usb 1.1 will take ages to copy data over. it is mainly to copy over movies, games i will install with qwix using another xbox to ftp 100 gig of games over. but for copying over movies, i will not take the hard drive out every week to copy over a few gig of movies...

any tips or suggestions are appreciated

2. Who_U

Who_U Member

do you happen to have your HDD key or EEPROM? or, did you lock your hard drive? if not, you may have a way to get your data. i also know another way, if all that fails. i warn you know, it can go badly wrong if you do not follow these instructions to the letter. ( i have had experience. i tried following this somewhere else and screwed up my whole hard drive, and am still trying to get my data off.)

the method i am about to propose is called Hotswapping.

what you need:

A pc with at least 1 hard drive and 1 cd rom drive (can be any type of drive, as long as you have 2 seperate ide cables in your pc.)

Xplorer360 OR FATXplorer (can be downloaded here)

lots of patience.

What to do.

FIRST - I HIGHLY RECOMMEND YOU UNPLUG ALL BUT YOUR MAIN HARD DRIVE FOR SECURITY SAKE!

open your xbox ( you may have already done this. if not, go here)

now your computer should be on, you should have all the programs you need, and you should have unplugged your CD/DVD drive. click start -> right click My Computer -> properties -> hardware -> Device Manager.

click the little plus icon next to "Disk Drives" and you should see your hard drive in the list. do NOT touch anything in that window for now.

now unplug your DVD drive IDE cable (the wide one) FROM YOUR XBOX!

now start your xbox. you have to have your xbox plugged into your video cable, but not necessarily into your TV ;)

if you have it plugged into the tv, you should see it saying error 12 in the top right hand corner, with the screen showing a variety of different languages of error. your little green ring should also be flashing red and green. this means that so far your at the right point.

now CAREFULLY unplug your ide plug from the back of your hard drive, not touching the bottom of your hard drive or the plug.

now, with your xbox still on, plug your xbox hard drive into the pc's cd/dvd drive IDE cable and then go to your device manager window again. up the top, click on the button saying refresh list. in the list that you opened (your hard drive list) you should see a new, second hard drive. this is your xbox.

now open your Xplorer360/FATXplorer and click File -> Open -> Hard Drive or Memcard. this should open up a list of 5 or 6 partitions on the left hand side. now you can download to your hearts content!

i would highly recommend that you get your HDD key & EEPROM backup (these can be found in the backup folder on your C:/ drive)

once you have done this, close the program and then, and only then, can you unplug your xbox hard drive and CAREFULLY plug your original xbox IDE cable back in. once you have done this, plug the xbox's DVD drives IDE cable back in.

once this is done, you can then turn your xbox off. now turn your xbox back on, and see if the main dash comes up. if so, you have successfully completed a hotswap.

if you would like me to make a step by step screenshot guide, please feel free to let me know, or PM me (whichever you prefer)

good luck! ;)

3. varnull

varnull Guest

just unlock the hdd and buy another box.. easy and quick. sling the old one.. after keeping the psu and the dvd drive.. spares are worth having.

A usb 2 gig key is pointless unless you intend using it with linux where it will be like any other usb drive (have fun mounting it.. should be sda1 but maybe not.. all depends).. tho copying things from fat32 to xfat is dodgy to say the least.. corrupting it all is a real risk.

all in all.. better to just buy a box with a working nic.

4. dennisv9

dennisv9 Regular member

mmmmm.... so it is quite a hassle... in that case i'll take your advice and leave it as is.... i'll just make it a dedicated game machine, ftp games over once (using another xbox) and leave it like that.