1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Nintendo DS vs. Sony PSP

Discussion in 'All other topics' started by NeoLance, Dec 30, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. megastar

megastar Guest

nope nikky. u have to buy separate hardware.
    the ds is not 802.11 b/g. it is 802.11 a which means it can not connect to an acces point so it can only connect to other DS's
    the psp is both 802.11 b/g and 802.11 a

2. Alien13

Alien13 Guest

Nintendo doesnt have many games out yet because [bold]GOOD[/bold] games take time!

3. drx

drx Member

MEGASTAR
    You are wrong Megastar. 802.11a is wifi, just a slightly less common wifi. 802.11a is compatible with access points and is just as fast as wifi 'G', but unfortunately the DS does not even have 'A'. The a,b, and g are all wifi certified. Nintendo runs another form of 802.11 entirely, which means that technicaly it could be compatible with an access point, but no access point has been made to conform with nintendos 802.11n (im just gonna call it that).

Although, I do have some good news. The only thing that stops 802.11n from being a real p2p wifi connection is the fact that it uses only one layer (layer 3). A group of people are making a program on the computer that would tunnel this third layer as an http protocol, and would then allow ppl on the DS to play on the internet. Don't beleive it? Just lookup 'DS LINKUP' in google. You'd be amazed on what you could find.

Last edited: Apr 7, 2005
  4. drx

drx Member

[bold]In just 4 days the DS will go online!!! See my previous post for info[/bold]

And for all you PSP ppl, i got some good news for u guys too.
    U can play almost any game online by just downloading a program called xbconnect, or neXBC. I have tried it, it works amazingly.

5. Mr_Del

Mr_Del Regular member

HMMM Some good reading there DRX. So here is what I have to say about that. Those that think it is dumb PSP has proprietary equipment. Isn't it just about the dumbest most retared Idea to have a proprietary WIFI. Of the 2 PSP only things there are at least they were smart enough to make thier WIFI fully compatible out of the box. I bet there is going to be a charge for the required software to make DS seem like it is WIFI. Im sure it will get DS online just fine but just remember, PSP had the ability to do it on thier very first sale. So this Idea was not a Nintendo inovation just another way to get a few bucks from your pocket. I do belive SONY even beat Xbox to online games.

-Del

6. jwill247

jwill247 Guest

srry megastar, but DS is wireless like the PSP, But PSP has a longer reach, and on May 2nd Korea is gonna get PSP online is what I saw on a site.. O yeah I also saw that DS is actually bigger in size than PSP, even when its folded, the only thing that is not bigger for DS is da screen of course.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 7, 2005
  7. megastar

megastar Guest

so when is psp going online for the USA. SOMEONE PLEASE TELL

8. megastar

megastar Guest

i have ridge racer for psp. does that game have online play or not.

9. drx

drx Member

To answer megastar I have no idea if Ridge Racer has online play. I don't own a PSP yet. Also I was under the impression that PSP already had online play...

You guys must have missed my previous post b/c, even if sony does not currently support online play (don't know if they do) you can still play online using xbconnect.

Go to this site:
    You'l thank me later.

10. drx

drx Member

jwill
    I do have to say you are wrong on just about everything you just said. Reach has nothing to do with compatability. DS doesn't have wifi. And with the Korea thing, last time I checked Sony is a[bold] Japanese[/bold] company not Korean. Sony has nothing to do with Korea. Do yourself a favor and measure both PSP and DS. DS is smaller. So yeah, pretty much everything you just said was incorrect.

11. megastar

megastar Guest

wait the korea thing is right. the psp is not online in korea and it isnt going to be. but korea is setting up private access points everywhere in korea. plus there is a fee. it does not have to do with what country sony is from.

12. Mr_Del

Mr_Del Regular member

hey Jwill
    I posted a link that is a pic of a PSP right below a DS. Just look through my posts and you will eventualy find it. The PSP Screen is almost as big as half the DS system. And yes SONY is Japan. KIA is Korean but they make cars.

-Del

13. drx

drx Member

I did not know about the Korea thing, although
    does seem a little unlikely, and I would be willing to challenge that.

14. megastar

megastar Guest

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 7, 2005
  15. gmanxd

gmanxd Guest

The Nintendo DS is already comparing with the PSP and it has many advances coming out in the future. When the DS comes out with all this stuff so you can watch Tv / Movies or play over the internet, i think the PSP is just done. To me the PSP seems akward and uncomfortable, i didnt think it would be that bad and it was just in my head until i played a friends, using the analog stick thing was uncomfortable because my hands weren't level, even though this is totally not a problem with anybody else it is with me, i just felt like i was going to drop the PSP or something, it feels waaaaaay too delicate. I own a DS and i have no problem puttin it in my backpack sidepocket, its never been seriously damaged just minor scratches and a pen blew up on it one time =O but the ink rubbed off easy. I heard Halo and Goldeneye and such games are coming out for the DS, this will also extra-increase the DS superiority. I would have waited for the PSP to come out before i bought one but as soon as I was in EB and i saw a DS i grabbed it and knew right then i had to have one! The same thing happened with the PSP until i read up some comparasin things and future advances for the DS, which made me change my mind about trading in my DS and stuff for a PSP, if i do get one i will wait until it comes out by itself, just the system. so its much cheaper.
    just my opinion-

AIM: GMANXD

16. drx

drx Member

MEGASTAR, engadget is not the best source. These are the same people that at first said PSP would not have wireless and nintendo DS would be called gameboy evolution. Engadget is a site the converts pure rumor into actual text.

GMANXD, i [bold]HIGHLY[/bold] doubt halo will come out on DS. I don't think PSP could handle such a graphics intense game as halo, much less the DS. Also, Bungie makes halo; and guess who owns Bungie? Microsoft. We all know microsoft makes xbox, which competes with nintendo. The only thing making xbox worth anything is halo, I doubt microsoft would just lose that title.

17. nikky

nikky Member

Ive read many news articles that stated that the DS has wifi. But if there are different types of WIFI I dont know. Im not gonna pretend that I know all the nitty gritty about the different specs.

Im prob gonna wait a while until I buy a handheld At the moment Im too broke. And since I live in Canada the PSP bundle is 350$ and the DS is 200$. Since our tax here is 15%, I dont even want to know how much thatl come too.

I just hope there is a price drop coming soon, and brand new colors. My sis wants to buy a white PSP, and I want a white DS lol.

I dont know why ppl hate on either handheld. I mean in my view both handhelds couldve made to be better. But thats my 2 cents.

18. dsrocks

dsrocks Member

Upcoming and the best Games For the DS[bold]Advance Wars DS[/bold]
    [bold]Animal Crossing DS[/bold]
    Another Code
    Asphalt: Urban GT
    Bomberman
    Caduceus
    [bold]Castlevania for DS[/bold]
    Choro Q DS
    [bold]Chronicles of Narnia[/bold]
    Cool 104 Joker & Setline
    Dragon Booster
    [bold]Dynasty Warriors[/bold]
    Egg Monster Heroes
    Electroplankton
    Europa Universalis II
    [bold]Feel the Magic: XY/XX[/bold]
    [bold]Final Fantasy III[/bold]
    Frogger Helmet Havoc
    Fullmetal Alchemist
    GoldenEye: Rogue Agent
    Gyakuten Saiban
    Incredibles 2
    [bold]Jam With The Band[/bold]
    Jinsei-Game DS
    Jissen Pachi-Slot Hissho
    Kenshuui Tendo Dokuta
    King Kong
    Lost in Blue
    Madagascar
    [bold]Madden NFL 2005[/bold]
    Mahjong Taikai
    [bold]Mario Kart DS[/bold]
    Meteos
    [bold]Metroid Prime: Hunters[/bold]
    Mobile Suit Gundam Seed
    Monster Farm Jamboree
    Moonlight Fables
    Mr. Driller Drill Spirit
    Mystical Ninja
    Nanostray
    [bold]Naruto: Saikyou Ninja Da[/bold]
    Need for Speed Underground
    [bold]Nintendogs [/bold]
    Pac 'n Roll
    Pac-Pix
    [bold]PictoChat[/bold]
    [bold]Ping Pals[/bold]
    [bold]Pokémon Dash[/bold]
    Polarium
    Puyo Pop Fever
    [bold]Rayman DS[/bold]
    Retro Atari Classics
    Ridge Racer DS
    Robots
    Scooby-Doo! Unmasked
    Shin Megami Tensei DS
    Snowboards Kids DS
    [bold]Sonic DS[/bold]
    [bold]Spider-Man 2[/bold]
    Sprung
    Star Wars
    [bold]Super Mario 64 DS[/bold]
    [bold]Super Mario Bros. DS[/bold]
    Tak 3 (working title)
    Tantei Kibukawa Ryosuke
    Tennis no Ouji-sama 2005
    Tiger Woods PGA Tour
    [bold]Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell[/bold]
    Touch! Kirby
    [bold]Urbz: Sims in the City[/bold]
    [bold]Viewtiful Joe[/bold]
    [bold]WarioWare Touched! [/bold]
    Yakuman DS
    [bold]Yoshi's Touch & Go [/bold]
    Yu-Gi-Oh! Nightmare Trou
    Zoo Keeper

that was tiring, since there are more better games for the DS than the PSP. and everyone thinks that the DS can't play movies. well it can just like the PSP. what's the use of the PSP when you already have the DS? it's all in the package. :p

check out this website so that you'll know what i mean.
    http://www.lik-sang.com/list.php?nav=left_sub&lsaid=222888&category=246&

19. drx

drx Member

Im still missing how pokemon dash compares with grand theft auto. Half of those games I have not yet heard of. There will be a few good ones: Splinter Cell, metroid, and maybe a few others. Although the DS in my opinion is not far from the PSP in game title, the way nintendo is going, I only think nintendo will fall further behind. It would only take a few good titles to put DS back up with PSP.

20. munkieboy

munkieboy Guest

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.