1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Nintendo DS vs. Sony PSP

Discussion in 'All other topics' started by NeoLance, Dec 30, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NeoLance

NeoLance Regular member

I dont even see why anybody would want to buy the DS anymore after hearing about all of the problems with it.... The safe thing is to stick with the Nintendo DS. I cant wait until all the good games start to come out in March. PSP fans wont be able to say anything else when the Play-Chan and the bundle of games comes out. Oh yea and especially the online play coming.

2. NeoLance

NeoLance Regular member

Oh, and sorry i forgot to add this. Have any of you guys seen some of the custom DS's that the celebrities have? Like i said in another thread to Alien13, i would kill for one of these! (but not literally lol). If PSP fanboys saw this they would shut their mouth! Too bad all the DS's dont look like this....[​IMG]

3. NeoLance

NeoLance Regular member

Sorry guys it wouldnt show the pic.

4. Alien13

Alien13 Guest

5. Jauzzi

Jauzzi Member

hey Toiletman... yeah, now that I know you are 15, I am impressed dude, seriously... but right now I am too excited about playing Fifa 2005, and Metal Gear Acid on the sony psp when it comes out that i am just gonna get out of here and leave you guys with Luigi and the mushroom guy. I forgot his name, but it's been a long time.

6. Toiletman

Toiletman Active member

I like mushroom heads.. including my own! Down there... y'know? =)

Anyway, you own a PS2? If you do, get Mercenaries if you haven't already, it's crazy great. Special effects are jaw dropping. And I'm pretty sure you own MGS3! =D

7. shta_mite

shta_mite Member

KAMEHAMEHA

8. NeoLance

NeoLance Regular member

When people want to make fun of the DS, they just say crap about the games like Mario DS and games like that. Those games are classic games and just the right reason to the DS's library of games. Anyways, they leave all the good games out. They dont add NFSU2, or the Metroid Prime, Ridge Racer, Asphault Urban, Feel The magic, Sprung, or any of the other good games. Ive heard anyways in another forum site that Metal Gear Acid isnt any good. I cant say anything else about it though because i dont have any other info to back up my statement. It seems like more and more people are starting to like the DS, and even more are going to realize the DS is better when a bundle of games comes out in March.

9. NeoLance

NeoLance Regular member

Oh, and im only 13 :)

10. NeoLance

NeoLance Regular member

11. NeoLance

NeoLance Regular member

12. Toiletman

Toiletman Active member

You didn't have to post that 3 times, y'know.

13. Alien13

Alien13 Guest

4 days till the ds comes out in shops!

14. jwill247

jwill247 Guest

Ok, U cant say ne thing bout the games for PSP games cuz it hasnt come out yet like metal gear acid. And thats not the only game thats comin out like GTA, NFSU -rivals, NFL street unleashed, NBA street showdown, blah blah more games. These games are gonna PROBALLY beat those games you list that were so great, Neolance. I dont have ne thing against the DS cause I played one and liked it, but I wanna get the PSP.

15. frntnbck

frntnbck Guest

Big_Dummies.com
    you can get both the psp and ds free here!! :)

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 23, 2005
  16. NeoLance

NeoLance Regular member

Toiletman, i didnt mean to post that 3 times, my computer froze. That happens to me once in a while... sorry guys.

17. NeoLance

NeoLance Regular member

I have some things that are bad about the PSP so i want to put that here:

Let’s talk first about the recently announced price. $250 is a big slap to all of our faces. Not because the PSP isn’t worth the cash, but because of all the useless accessories Sony decided to bundle with the system. Apparently Americans are too stupid to purchase better alternatives for themselves. They need to be spoon-fed everything. News Flash Sony: When I bought my Playstation2 it didn’t come bundled with a memory card. I had to buy that on my own. It also didn’t come with a bundled movie to show off the DVD capability. Because of all the accessories, Sony had to raise the price to $250.

1 GB Cards are so expensive. Sandisk offers the cheaper variety, but even those will run you close to $150. And you’ll need a 1 GB if you plan on enjoying a decent amount of MP3’s on your handheld, or if you plan on watching movies with it. Some of the movies I have encoded to MP4 are larger than 650 MB, so a 512 MB card isn’t an option. SD cards are half the price, and even cheaper after rebates. But no, Sony wants to shaft the public with their proprietary standards once again. In fact, if you decide to purchase a 1 GB Sony Pro Duo card, you’ll be paying more than $300. Go you!

The games are going to range from $40 to $50. Awesome, so after they gouge us with the system price, they gouge us again with the software. And this is UMD we’re talking here folks. It doesn’t cost Sony much to put out these diskettes, as compared to physical cartridges on other systems.

Movie conversion to MP4 is a royal pain. It takes three pieces of software: one to rip a film , one to convert it to AVI, and yet another to convert the AVI to an MP4. Here’s the best part. No one has figured out how to get movies to the native resolution of the PSP wide-screen. So when you’re playing your MP4, you’ll need to stretch the video to get the ratio right. It still looks decent, but it’s not native and therefore not as good as it could have been. Rumor has it that Sony sloppily borrowed the MP4 utility from its Clie PDA software suite. Thanks.

The headphone and remote cord is a travesty. Okay, let me see if I can find the logic here. The color for both these items is white. Sony figured that you needed to be down with the iPod crowd, so they chose a similar color, which will make you look as cool as those Apple commercials will lead you to believe. Except if you look at the color of the PSP itself, it’s….well…it’s black. The cord colors don’t even match with the system! You won’t get the best sound out of the included earbuds either. Yeah, I know I was shocked too.

Music organization doesn’t exist. The PSP does not let you sort your music by artist, genre, date uploaded, or other ID3 tags. You place them all in the same directory, and will basically need to scroll and select each song you want to hear. Either that or be subject to a “shuffle” option that will juxtapose your gospel tracks with your gangster hip-hop. Sweet Lord, please let there be a firmware update soon.

We’ll need to wait for a better battery. If you forget to charge your PSP at night, you’re basically up the creek until you find a wall outlet the next day, especially if you’re using it for all the functionality it’s supposed to have. That bright screen comes at a steep price. You’re getting only about 10 hours of music playback, and maybe 5 hours max of game playing time per charge. Well, you can always purchase a second AC adaptor to leave at your job just in case.

The system will not boot up straight to the XMB interface if you have a game installed. In other words, say you don’t want to play the game loaded on your system and want to play a song or a movie instead. Well, you’ll need to either boot up the game first and then exit, or the more popular approach, pop the eject button, turn on the system, and then close the game lid once you enter the XMB. This is laughable at best. Sony should have included an option to jump straight to the XMB if you hold one of its buttons.

The PSP will suck every drop of oil in your fingers and apply them directly to the screen. When a system comes with a wipe-down rag to erase the smudges you’ll get, you know something is wrong. Where are you supposed to keep the rag when you’re not using it, anyway? I know some of you PSP fanboys already have a personal answer for this one for me.

No second analogue stick. Just when EA begins the love-fest with the second stick on the standard PS2 Dual Shock pad, Sony rips the option away, completely changing the control dynamic for some of our favorite games. What would it have hurt to make the PSP just a little bit wider to accommodate this glaring omission? Oh, and in case you haven’t heard Sony’s Ken Kutaragi defending the PSP design yet, many people are experiencing problems with the system’s square button, which has been a little unresponsive due to it being so close to the LCD screen.

The pouch that comes with the system is a joke. Not only is it too thin to offer any significant protection against bumps and bruises, it’s also too small to fit any other accessories in it, like any extra UMD games you’re going to want to carry around. To add further insult, the pouch doesn’t zipper up, so if you tilt it in any significant way, your PSP will succumb to the mysterious force of gravity and die a quick painful death on the hardwood. It’s another reason the accessories, and the price that comes because of them is an issue.

(This info was taken from a website. Dont say its not accurate because the people tryed the PSP themselves obviously). It was gearlive.com

18. NeoLance

NeoLance Regular member

My friend from school told me that Sony is going to fix the square button on the PSP. Hopefully they do. If they change that problem and some of the others, i would definitely buy it. I would still think of the Nintendo DS as a more reliable machine, but the PSP is good for the high quality graphics. I would most likely take my DS on a long road trip since the battery lasts longer. Lets just hope that if this is a true statement, that Sony doesnt rush things....

19. shta_mite

shta_mite Member

Well, Well, Well its getting close to game time :) I'm gonna enjoy watching these two portables battle it out and see who the victor is. Only about 16 more days ^-^ till the psp comes out and when the DS hopefully starts making its better games to compete. Whats taking nintendo so long? well yeah 16 dayz...

20. slater999

slater999 Guest

Well i have just played on both the consoles as they are now in shops on display around me (not for sale yet) and quite frankly the psp totally kills the ds! Up till now i have always thought the ds would be much better due to nintendos exoeirience with handhelds!
    But the psp is better! The screen is amazing by far the best screen i have ever seen and it is not easily scratched at all! Sony have this new matierial that doesnt scrtach coating the screen! The games are better more exiting easier to play and better graphics. Plus the psp looks soo much better in its self (which it is)
    I am not saying the ds is crap because its not but the psp is all round better.

p.s The touch screen on the ds gets scratched and wornout really easily!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.