1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

No Audio Device

Discussion in 'Audio' started by mstrchief, Mar 29, 2003.

1. mstrchief

mstrchief Member

Hey,
    I have just formatted my computer and now I don't have any sound. I downloaded a specific .inf file for my motherboard off of the Elite ECS site and added it with the "Sounds and Audio Devices" in control panel by clicking "Add New Hardware." It was put on the list successfully, but it has a yellow "!" beside its icon. When I click on it to get more details about it, it says "This device is not working properly because Windows cannot load the drivers required for this device (Code 31)." The .inf file I have is C-Media AC97 Audio Device. My other computer had this same problem and was fixed by my uncle, but I forget what he did to fix it, (I think he uninstalled all of the unnecesary devices under the sounds, etc.) If anyone knows how to fix this problem, please post.
    Thanks in advance, Jon.

2. mstrchief

mstrchief Member

I remember, he uninstalled all the devices under sounds, etc. and restarted. Somehow he was lucky and the computer installed them back on by itself and the sound worked. It ain't so lucky for me though. Well, if I can make this C-Media AC97 my audio device, everything will be back to normal. Does anyone know how to take the device from the list and make it my audio device?
    Thanks, Jon.

3. cellon

cellon Member

u need to get the latest AC´97 driver and install it, the computer may recognize an audio device as such meaning it knows the hardware is there, but a driver is still needed to allow the OS to actually communicate and essentially make use of the hardware available...

had the same prob millions of times with a range of onboard hardware, and simply getting the latest driver fixes it every time.

good luck.

4. cellon

cellon Member

u need to get the latest AC´97 driver and install it, the computer may recognize an audio device as such meaning it knows the hardware is there, but a driver is still needed to allow the OS to actually communicate and essentially make use of the hardware available...

had the same prob millions of times with a range of onboard hardware, and simply getting the latest driver fixes it every time.

good luck.

5. mstrchief

mstrchief Member

Ok, thanks, I got sound now. Would you know what the difference is between being powered by a company (like ATI or MSI) and being built by a company?
    Thanks, Jon

6. cellon

cellon Member

well, in the onboard sound department ac´97 is prettya much 99% of what is used out there, there are other small companies producing audio chips, but they are rare, so where you may find variety in onboard chips is in the actual chipset of motherboards, meaning the north/south bridge, different brands are used, but in general they all perform the same job, some chipsets support more hardware and performance levels than others, simple as that. as for graphics for example there are tons of different brands that you can get a radeon 7000 under, but they all use the same chipset, only varying factors may be ram speed and type, and so on, so most of it, is marketing...but ti avoid problems i the future it pays to know which chipset ur motherboard runs and so on, so that if problems arise, u know what drivers to get.... hope that answered ur question jon

7. mstrchief

mstrchief Member

8. will268

will268 Member

I, too, have been having the same problem: No "wav" audio sound when I select to play a "sound scheme." And when I attempt to configure the Volume sound settings in the Control Panel, I see that everything is greyed out andit shows "No Audio Device" installed, even though all of the drivers have been installed, and investigations into the device manager show that the "device is working properly".

I know that the sound card was working fine at one point playing all of the "wav" files, and then it stopped. I fixed this once before. I had uninstalled all the devices under sounds, etc. and restarted. Somehow the computer installed them back by itself and the sound worked. But now it won't budge. I know it's not the sound card, but, to be certain, I took out the SoundMax sound card and installed a new Creative Labs Sound Blaster Live! sound card, AND IT DID THE SAME THING! I now have unistalled and reinstalled the software countless times. It's as though some other process has claimed use of the device. Could this be a new form of virus or bad code? There's nothing under the Microsoft Support or the Knowledge Base. Microsoft's troubleshooters have not responded.

I went to the Creative Labs website and they said to ignore those messages. I have done the following before posting this message. I ran Norton's AntiVirus program, which did not find any files corrupted. But I heard some others had the Benjamin virus that was inside a downloaded copy of Grand Theft Auto. Although Norton's AV deleted those files the problem still persisted. I am beginning to believe that this could be a new form of "bad program code" that insinuates itself in the registry in such a way as to disable the sound card. The most unique set of symptoms that sets this bad code apart from others is that the Device Manager reports that "the device is working properly", and, yet, when I go into the Control Panel and look at the "Sounds and Audio Devices Properties" dialogue box, it states on the main screen that "No Audio Device" is installed, and all other fields on that screen, and others, are greyed out. I have downloaded the latest patches, with no results.

Note: This is not a hardware problem! As others have done, I have replaced the sound card entirely with a brand new sound card, with new drivers, but with no success. The problem seems to appear out of no-where in the system with the "wav" audio device no longer working. As you read many of these posts note the similarities of many of these problems that others are reporting. Coincidence? I think not. I am still stymied, though, and would welcome any help in this regard. Please feel free to e-mail me at "Ivan Petric" <Will268@Hotmail.com>, as well as post a reply, if you think you know what's wrong.