1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Solved No audio out on new TV; need sound from OTA antenna

Discussion in 'Digital TV - United States & Canada' started by Kremmitus Maximus, Jan 14, 2015.

1. Kremmitus Maximus

Kremmitus Maximus Newbie

Looking for ideas on a cheap/easy way to make this work. I just bought a new 60" Samsung un60fh6003 TV. It has no audio out- no analog/RCA, no digital/Toslink, no headphone jack, no HDMI Audio Return Channel. This is not a problem with 99% of what I watch, as I get the Audio from the HDMI signal coming from whatever video source I'm using. However, the Superbowl is coming up and my only source for live sports is from local OTA tv, via an antenna and the TV's built-in tuner. Thus, there's no HDMI signal for me to get audio from.

Any ideas on a way to kludge this cheaply for Superbowl Sunday? Back in the pre-digital days I would have run my antenna through a VCR's tuner to get the audio out, but that's not gonna work with today's digital TV signals. I guess what I'm looking for is something I can get cheap/free that'll take my antenna's feed and output to HDMI. I'm sure there are fancy HDTV tuners out there that'll work, but I'm not looking to spend much for just the one broadcast per year.

Thanks for any ideas!

2. Kremmitus Maximus

Kremmitus Maximus Newbie

I guess I should have gone tuner shopping before I posted. Looks like a decent HDTV tuner can be had from Amazon for $35 or so. That's probably as cheap a solution as I'm going to find.

Just for reference in case any future thread readers see this, I did come up with a no-cost alternative: Find a friend with a Slingbox to send the broadcast to me. Then use my PC, Laptop, Phone or whatever to send that broadcast to the Chromecast. Unfortunately, I don't know anybody with a Slingbox.