1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

No Boot up

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by a7xsoad, Jul 1, 2007.

1. a7xsoad

a7xsoad Regular member

Hey guys, I am currently fixing my little creation that I have, but unfortunately it won't turn on. It was working well one day and then next day it wouldn't even turn on. I figured it would be the power supply because it's the one that came with the Sonata II, but I swapped the power supply to another computer and the other computer turned on.. the computer won't even show any power being initiated.... it's not like it hangs or shuts down after it has power, simply, nothing happens...

Any other suggestions as to what could be the problem? Thanks again...

Antec Sonata II, Gigabyte MB, AMD X23800 939, let me know if any other specs needed

2. bullet159

bullet159 Member

i cant remember what they are called but make sure you have the power button connected to the motherboard

3. a7xsoad

a7xsoad Regular member

I made sure the power switch was connected on there, but I think bad wiring might be the suspect..thanks for the input.. any other suggestions?

4. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

try clearing the cmos as have found that to work on occassion to kick start a stubborn pc. try a slot screw driver in place of power switch to touch the power switch pins on the motherboard. disconnect all cables to the drives.

5. a7xsoad

a7xsoad Regular member

@ ddp, I cleared the cmos and i also tried the slot screw driver in place of the switch and it wouldn't turn on... i can hear hissing from the power supply, but that's about it. I think at this point it might be the motherboard.. I took off the lid off the sonata II and the wiring is in place.. so its not the switch thats making bad contact and not allowing to turn on..

6. wabashman

wabashman Active member

are any of the fans turning on when you hit the power button?

7. a7xsoad

a7xsoad Regular member

No, none of the fans turn on...juss hissing from power supply

8. wabashman

wabashman Active member

if none of the fans are turning on when you hit the power button then i dont think the problem lies with the mobo since it does not 'turn on' the case fan itself. at least with my pc it doesnt. the case fans are plugged directly into the psu.

9. johnsteel

johnsteel Member

first time on this thread # how do you {config} a parallel port to a dcu port will i need a file;

10. a7xsoad

a7xsoad Regular member

True, that makes sense.. well I am going to try the power supply once again on another computer and note the behavior that occurs...thanks

Edit: ill post results in 30 minutes..

Last edited: Jul 3, 2007
  11. wabashman

wabashman Active member

no to be rude or anything, but you shouldnt hijack other peoples threads with your own problems. you should start you own thread to get your answer. becuase i dont see how that will help a7xsoad get hi answer.

ill check what your results were later tonight, probably around midnight my time, currently going on 4 pm here. im off to work here in a few minutes.

good luck on your issue

12. a7xsoad

a7xsoad Regular member

thanks wabashman.. well I tried the the other computer with the Sonata II psu, im using the computer right now, and the fans started up as soon as i pressed the power button.. This computer doesn't have fan directly attached to the psu, but they are attached to the motherboard and they turned on and stayed on... I really hope that it isn't something that will cost much.. thanks to those who've contributed their input... any other suggestions?

13. bullet159

bullet159 Member

well i just remembered that i have had this problem before and im sorry to say that i replaced the motherbord and everything worked fine, so this may cost a little money if this truly is the real problem

14. ddp

sounds like a short. remove all cards, ram, disconnect all cables to drives then try to power up . also try the board out of the case & even remove the cpu so just the motherboard & psu. being the psu appears to be working & if you do as i suggested in stages, it should tell you what the last thing you disconnected is causing the short if it powers up.

15. a7xsoad

a7xsoad Regular member

I practically rebuilt the computer... but it didn't turn out to be a short.. I looked at the wire from the power switch plug and it wasn't in such a great condition as I thought it was.. I re soldered the wire to the button and viola.. working computer again.. I guess somehow the wire was tugged from the inside??? but nonetheless thanks to those who gave me suggestions and tried to help.. THANKS

16. ddp

teach & learn