1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

No connection

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by WallyWest3001, May 3, 2014.

1. WallyWest3001

WallyWest3001 Newbie

Just got a new modem/wifi installed by Comcast. PS3 is connected by Ethernet Cable, works fine. Wireless phones/tablets/and one PC all connect fine to wifi. My desktop that is plugged in by Ethernet will not connect at all. Neither through the cord or wifi. The box is confirmed as working, is there some setting on the computer I am not finding or dont know about that would help?

Anyone? Please, help.

2. 2oldGeek

2oldGeek Active member

Are you getting a green light at the connection where you plug the ethernet cable into the computer? Check in BIOS to see if it's turned on. May be a bad chip in the mobo - an ethernet card could fix that.

3. WallyWest3001

WallyWest3001 Newbie

Thanks. I will check it out.

4. 2oldGeek

2oldGeek Active member

When you connect the ethernet cable you should get a green light if it's working. If not check in BIOS under Integrated Perpherals to see if Onboard LAN Function is enabled, If it is, then it may be the motherboard or a bad chip. I have had this happen several times usually on a Gigabyte MOBO. You can add a network card and dis-able Onboard LAN Function in the BIOS.

5. Biker48

Biker48 Member

If you had a previous network connection I would suggest removing all the network software i.e. network drivers,microsoft networking,workgroup etc until you have a machine that is in fact standalone. Reboot from a cold start (do not do a warm boot)and then proceed to re-install the network configuration in the normal order. I have found that in some cases there is something sitting around in the O/S that will not allow you to connect. After reconfiguring you should find it works. If that fails then suspect a hardware failure. You could try just renewing your IP address in ipconfig to give you a new IP if you are using DHCP which I would assume you are. Another thing to try is to give your machine a fixed IP and try again. If you then get a connection you can go back to DHCP and in some cases wahey! I'm in. This can be time consuming and cause frustration with no logical reason why. Hope that helps.

Last edited: May 14, 2014