1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

No consistency on my home DVD player?

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by rjessa, Apr 3, 2005.

1. rjessa

rjessa Regular member

Based on the above conversation, I have Captured my home movies via my Digicam (Dig8) into my Hdrive using WMM2 as an AVI file, I use TMPG to encode into 2 files (video + audio). Using IFOedit I generate the files for burning (VOB) then use Nero to Burn.
    I use the same makes of DVD-R (Ridata (Ritek)), sometimes my home DVD player playes it well, sometimes not (Same movie). There are times when it says loading for the longest time and then it works, and other times it say 'check disk'. At times when it works fine, I play part of the movie, turn off my DVD player, then later when I want to play it again it has problems. Why the inconsistency? I realize I have an old DVD player (Toshiba SD3109), but why does it work someitmes and sometimes not? Also I have checked several websites for my DVd player compatibility and they all have varying opinions, some say you can (DVD-R) some say you cannot. Also one note I have used AVIcodec and it cannot open this particular AVI file. GSPOT on the same AVI file says there are problems on my header info, does this have any bearing on what is going on? Despite all that I can still play it sometimes, on another Sony DVD player, NO PROBLEMS AT ALL, PLAYS EVERY TIME. Since I want to share the movies with friends I feel if I can get it to work on mine consistently then it should work on others as well. I mean HOW DO THE MOVIES YOU RENT WORK ON ALL DVD PLAYERS?
    Note: Using other Media gives me same result (Sony, Verbatim)
    PLEASE HELP...

2. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

Because your player is soooo old (more than 1 1/2 years) they don't work well with our newer discs AND with our burned discs in general. Pressed discs (originals) have higher "ridges" and can be read better than our laser-burned discs.

Answer: Your standalone player "SUCKS !"

Go out and buy a Cyber-Home for $39.00 (USD) ~> it will play a sausage pizza iffin' the cheese isn't too hot ~

Cheers,

Pete

Last edited: Apr 3, 2005
  3. rjessa

rjessa Regular member

I asked why the inconsistency? If I let it "LOAD" for a few mintues it plays (Not always though) sometimes. Why do my friends burnt DVD's play more consistently on my player? I dont burn DVD's, I just like to transfer onto my DVD from Digicam.

4. spacedust

spacedust Regular member

The answere to you question is there are about 15+ manufactors of dvd burners, there are about 25+ manufactors of DVD media, +R vs -R some players play both some like one or the other. There is really no exact science to this, it's alot of expermentation. I do agree with scubabud the cyberhome I had would play anything when it worked. As much as I played the cyberhome I got my moneys worth, It lasted about a year. Personaly I like Apex.

Good Luck

Spacedust

5. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

@rjessa,

What the guy from "Off" planet said, compatibility.

Try this out, a player compatibility "thingie". Now if you want to get on the good side of your player, only buy 4X discs. The reason, a couple of years ago 4X were the fastest discs around. The newer 8X and 12X discs may be slightly different and therefore harder for your player to read. If your player is more than a couple of years old, it will probably do better on -R discs.

http://www.videohelp.com/dvdplayers.php

Cheers,

@ whoever you are . . .

Come on now, cut me a break. Scubabud hasn't posted within a days boat ride from here -

(no matter what I do, iffin' its good, they give the credit to someone else :(

Going home to pout for a while until my mood changes ~

6. wolfniggr

wolfniggr Regular member

Not to mention you are the [bold]OG[/bold] Scuba on this site.

7. rjessa

rjessa Regular member

4x and -R are the only DVD's I use and I have tried Ritek (Ridata), Sony & Verbatim. They all give me the same result.

Anyway I guess no one has the complete answer. I would like to continue to get educated and learn more in this area of Video.

8. spacedust

spacedust Regular member

Sorry Scubapete, I was In a hurry. I apoligize for getting your name wrong.
    Quote=Anyway I guess no one has the complete answer!
    Not really sure what your looking for!

Later

guy from "Off" planet

9. creaky

creaky Moderator Staff Member

cheapy standalone players certainly get my vote. i bought 2 Cyberhome ch-400's last year, fantastic players, but can't find any more lately, they sell like hot cakes :(

10. Virtual4

Virtual4 Member

I have 2 stand alone DVD players. The older one sometimes will not play burned DVD's or it will play and then glitch out later on. The reason itself believe it or not is the media. Go to DVDRhelp.com which as I recall will redirect you to the new site which may be the same as the one listed above.

Click on players, type in your player and look at the compatibility list.

11. ScubaBud

ScubaBud Regular member

Man were my ears ringing just now… <G>

First, the original quote by ScubaPete, (which is still my favorite)…

Second,

I have no problem with that. I actually wanted the nick of ScubaBuddy for a totally different reason but the nick wouldn’t take, and when I became a newbie member I also didn’t know that there was another nick by an aD Addict of ScubaPete.

Third,

Even I cringed a bit when I saw Spacedust type "ScubaBud" instead of "ScubaPete" by accident but if I had to be confused with someone else, I couldn’t ask for anyone better.

Last,
    Fact is we miss you not being around as much lately so no pouting allowed!

Last edited: Apr 5, 2005
  12. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

Here's hoping that the "OG" stands for the "Old Guy" and not the "Odd Guy" ~

Howdy Ted, how are ya my friend ?

Ya see how it is . . . ?

Whenever there is a nice, intelligent, straight-to-the-point, friendly-type post they automatically assume it's you.

Iffin' it's a rambling, hard-to-understand, seaweed in-the-mouth reply then it's me -

Oooohhh well, I dug my ditch, guess I'll have to stay in it for a while :)

What get's me the most is, there are several different pple (different times different forums) and when they name me they call me Scuba Steve. ? ? ? What's up with that ? there's no one even close to that "nic" on aD. Go Figure ?

(Shaking my head again, this time just bewildered )

Last edited: Apr 5, 2005