1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

no control over 4x burn speed

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by wowzers, Nov 27, 2004.

1. wowzers

wowzers Member

Hi again all! I have a Sony DRU-710A Dual Layer burner and on the box which it came in it says 16x. It seems like no matter what disk I insert i will not burn at anything other that 4x. I change the write speed just before the burn but once I click copy it automatically switches to 4x. I am using go4's. Am I using the wrong discs for this unit. It is taking me 30 minutes to copy directly from a burnt copy. If I burn a movie from my hard drive it takes just under 15. Am I maxed out in speeds here? I am using ritek go4's 4x-r and 4x+r.Am also using latest nero version as well. Also....what do most peeps set their book type setting to for burning purposes. I have come across players that will not play dvd's with the book type set to dvd-rom, the suggested setting reguardless of being plus or minus. Any insight on my probs will be awsome......HAVE A GOOD ONE!!

2. john179

john179 Active member

To burn at 8 speed you need G05 disc's G04's will only burn at 4 speed unless you have hacked firmware to enable them to burn at a higher speed.

3. wowzers

wowzers Member

ahhhh......shouldn't I be able to burn at slower speeds though. I have tried to burn at 2 times as well just to see what would happen but the burn started at 4x once again.

4. john179

john179 Active member

Yeh you should be able to drop the speed check out sony web site to find out the most compatible medias for your burner.

5. wowzers

wowzers Member

Okay I will for sure. Do you know much about the book type setting? I am not sure if I should change it to dvd-rom or if I should leave it set on "physical disc type". I come across a couple of players that would play a +r media when I burnt as "physical disc" book type setting but the same player will not play the same media using "dvd-rom" book type setting. And vise versa with other stand alone players.I want to get set up with just one type of media -r and go from there. Should I burn -r media with the book type set to dvd-rom, automatic, or physical disc type. I just not sure what is gonna be the most compatible. Sorry for the all the dumb questions but I have done extensive research on this but can't seem to find out bout this book type setting. Thanks

6. john179

john179 Active member

You should not need to change your book type settings your speed problem is media related.Best to leave as it is as its working fine you just need to trial and error to find the best media for your drive along with any help you can get from sony's web site.

7. wowzers

wowzers Member

Okay thanks for the help and advice all. Can someone tell me what the default book type setting should be at, I have changed it so many times now that I cannot remember what it was at to begin with?......lol, thanks again