1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

No drivers for new Samsung YP S3J mp3 player. Can't connect.

Discussion in 'Portable audio players' started by uart, Oct 18, 2008.

1. uart

uart Member

Hi, a few weeks ago my cousin bought a new Samsung mp3 player (model yp s3j) and she couldn't get it to work on her computer. I just got hold of it and tested it on my computer and it isn't recognized properly by this one either. I'm starting to think the unit is faulty.

The symptoms are the same on both computers. Plug it in and Windows (XP SP2) detects new hardware but is unable to find drivers. There are no (seperate) divers on the supplied CD and neither are there any on Samsungs website. My understanding is that some of these devices don't have seperate drivers but rather that the driver is kind of integrated into the application software ("media-studio" for samsung) that they provide with the player.

The device is not detected by the application software and it appears with the dreaded yellow exclaimation point and the info "no drivers loaded" in Windows device manager. I've already tried removing it from device manager and then doing a "scan for hardware changes" but every time it comes back the same - not working.

The situation is exactly the same on both computer that we've tested it on. Also I've downloaded the latest version of the application software directly from samsung's support page for this model and it made no difference.

I'm about to give up and tell her to RMA the unit. Does anyone have any ideas of anything else I can try first?

Thanks.

2. uart

uart Member

Ok I've got it sorted out now. Turns out that all it needed was a WMP update. Too bad Samsung didn't see fit to supply this on their driver/software CD. I find it prety slack when there's a piece software that is so fundamentally important that the hardware cant get detected without it, and it's not included with the installation CD. Grrr Samsung, wake up and figure this out!

3. Mez

Mez Active member

I would avoid WMP. There are good third party apps out there with no axes to grind and have free versions way superior to WMP or itunes.