1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

no dts sound on dvd music compilation

Discussion in 'Video playback problems' started by morguex, Dec 13, 2005.

1. morguex

morguex Guest

I mad a dvd music compilation disc.
    I ripped all the chapters with dvd decrypter.
    shrunk them with dvd shrink(using dts audio track)
    I encoded the dvd and burned it with nero 6.6.0.13.
    But know i get no sound from the chapters with dts audio track(dolby 5.1 works fine)

Am I missing something(plugin,codec, ets.)

any help is welcomed

Thanks

2. LOCOENG

LOCOENG Moderator Staff Member

current version of Nero is 6.6.0.18

3. morguex

morguex Guest

ok so how does your answer apply to my question.

4. LOCOENG

LOCOENG Moderator Staff Member

You are missing something...its called a current version of Nero, and may be the source of your problem. Not familiar with the DTS audio, I always get rid on everything except for the AC3 5.1.

5. wolfniggr

wolfniggr Regular member

How are you trying to switch from one track to another while viewing?(remote, menu, etc.) Are you sure you are including the DTS track? Are you sure your dvd player is set to output a DTS signal and/or is your receiver ready to decode the signal? Just out of curiosity, why are you using DVD Decrypter first? You shouldn't need to update nero, this version is good enough for what you want to accomplish.

6. creaky

creaky Moderator Staff Member

@morguex - i've closed the other 2 duplicate threads, pls do not multipost, and read the Forum Rules in my sig..

..now i'll let the good guys get back to helping you..

7. morguex

morguex Guest

Sorry for the multipost, did'nt mean to.

I am using shrink so i can just use the chapters I want from each dvd, I ripped the chapters from multiple dvd's.
    Saving only the dts audio and video.
    Then using nero to encode the chapters to make one dvd from all the chapters. But there is no dts sound from the chapters that I shrunk with the dts audio box checked in dvd shrink.
    Sorry it's kinda hard to explain. hope you guys understand.

Thanks

8. wolfniggr

wolfniggr Regular member

Again, is your dvd player set to output a DTS signal? Is your receiver set(or capable) to decode a DTS signal? Can you hear the DTS soundtrack on the original dvds when you play them on your system?
    I hope you're not insulted by these questions, but I have found that not too many people know how DTS works and I don't want to waste anyone's time if you lack the proper equipment in the first place.

Last edited: Dec 17, 2005
  9. morguex

morguex Guest

Yes I can hear the dts signal on the orginal dvd's.
    My stereo is set correctly. (been into audio systems for about 15 yr's)

It just seems like nero did'nt process the dts audio(signal)when it was encoding.

Thanks

10. wolfniggr

wolfniggr Regular member

If you're sure you are selecting DTS audio on Shrink as one of or the only soundtrack, you may want to right click on what you selected to back up,(in Re-author mode) select [bold]set default streams...[/bold] and set the DTS track as the default track.

Have you also tried to see if you could select the DTS track with the audio button on your dvd remote while you are watching it?

11. morguex

morguex Guest

Ok Thanks
    I'll try the default stream, and see if that works.

12. JVC

JVC Active member

Since you're ripping chapters like that, you're [bold]probably[/bold] not getting the menus, or at least the one where you select the DTS track of a movie. You know that DTS is [bold]not[/bold] automatically chosen by a player. You must choose the DTS track manually, when watching a movie. With receiver set to "Digital Auto", it will automatically go to the DD 5.1 track, but not the DTS track. So, you need some way of choosing DTS track at the beginning of the dvd.

I've known a couple of people that made excellent Demo discs, of scenes from different movies, in DD 5.1, but they've not been able to make a Demo disc with DTS tracks, for the reason I've told you.
    Good luck! Keep us posted? Especially if you find a way to do it............... :eek:)

13. wolfniggr

wolfniggr Regular member

The dvd players(5 in all, 2 of which are an xbox and ps2) that I have connected to surround sound receivers are set up to play dts sound. I have made quite a few backups with just the dts track and have never encountered a problem with any of them.(most of the discs I've made don't even have a menu) The dvd player(if it is worth a crap) should play this track if it is setup properly(especially if it is the only sound track on the dvd). If there is more than one track on the back up, you should easily be able to toggle through them with the dvd remote while it is playing or even through the dvd player's on-screen menu while the disc is in the player. What is the name brand(and model #) of the player you are using?

14. JVC

JVC Active member

I was telling personal experiences of mine and friend's experiences.
    I guess my Pioneer and my friend's Denons are pieces of crap though. Glad to finally find that out.................

15. wolfniggr

wolfniggr Regular member

Easy, buddy. I wasn't refering to you or your player specifically, I was making a generalization. I am sorry you couldn't get your discs to work either. Have you tried setting the DTS track as the default?

16. morguex

morguex Guest

Well I tried to make the compilation dvd again with dts as the default stream with dvd shrink. No luck (another coaster,crap!)

I don't think Nero is applying the dts as sound track when it's transcoding the chapters. (the dolby chapters work fine)

I'm at a loss.

17. wolfniggr

wolfniggr Regular member

What movie(dvd) are you trying to burn?

18. morguex

morguex Guest

I'm making a music dvd compilation from 6 diffrent dvd's.

19. wolfniggr

wolfniggr Regular member

Do you not hear sound from every excerpt of your compilation? Does your backup show up as having a dts track when you open it with shrink? Are the discs you are ripping from dvd video or dvd audio discs? Can you tell me the steps you take when you are backing this project up?