1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

No internet access

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by jerecho, Sep 2, 2016.

1. jerecho

jerecho Regular member

My mom has had trouble with a stable connection through wi-fi forever. I finally had her go out and get a new wi-fi router. It's a Netgear Nighthawk. She has Comcast and her own modem (Motorola Surfboard). I restarted the modem and used all the default presets on the router just to get things working last night. Everything connects to the router but has no internet access. I can connect to the internet fine through ethernet though. Any ideas of where to go from here?

2. Hrtbrkn

Hrtbrkn Member

From the Netgear website:

If your Wi-Fi signal is not being detected or your devices are not able to see your NETGEAR wireless network (SSID), you may need to enable the wireless network. Some NETGEAR routers have a WiFi button, and this button can be used to enable the wireless network. This article walks you through how to enable the wireless radio or make your router broadcast its Wi-Fi signal using the wireless button on your router.

To enable the wireless network using the Wi-Fi button:

Note: Many NETGEAR wireless routers have a button to turn off or turn on the wireless (Wi-Fi) signal, however, your NETGEAR router may not include this feature.

1. Confirm the wireless (Wi-Fi) LED on the front panel is on.

[​IMG]
      [​IMG]
    2. If the WiFi LED is now on, you should now be able to access your wireless network.
      If it is off, or you are still having issues, PRESS AND HOLD the wireless (Wi-Fi) button for about 5 seconds, and check the LED again.
      Note: The Wi-Fi button location and appearance differs on each router model. It is usually labeled Wireless On/Off button.

[​IMG]
      [​IMG][​IMG]
      [​IMG]
    3. If the LED is green/white and your device is still unable to connect to Wi-Fi, check to ensure that your device has wireless capability enabled.
      Most computers have a combination of a physical switch, button, or keyboard function key to enable and disable wireless functionality.
      See Locating the wireless switch on various models of laptops for a list of how to locate the wireless switch on various models of laptops.
      Other devices, such as tablets and smartphones have settings in the software to enable and disable Wi-Fi functionality.

3. Admiral_Smith

Admiral_Smith Newbie

It is a pain in the butt, but if it is cable try to get your cable modem replaced. You have to complain so bad because most of the time they will not replace them.