1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

No Internet connection

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by a7xsoad, Jan 15, 2007.

1. a7xsoad

a7xsoad Regular member

My Athlon 1ghz computer won't connect to internet. It just decided to stop working. I log onto the router (netgear WRG614 V6, latest firmware) but once it's connected it says its timed out. I have WEP 64 bit encryption since no one else around can figure how to log into that. I don't know why it won't log onto the internet. I've tried resetting the router and modem, but no luck. thanks

2. lecsiy

lecsiy Regular member

Im no internet wizz. But have you tried restarting the computer?

Have you tried turning them all off then turning them all on?

Lecsiy

3. a7xsoad

a7xsoad Regular member

YEah, I've tried all of that. Sometimes, I get a balloon message saying system error. I think it says a duplicate account is on. I also can't disable the internet. It says something about it being in use.

4. steimy

steimy Active member

are you able to post a screen shot of your network locations?
    Do you have more than one, like one that says broadband and one that says LAN?
    Have you tried reseting the security on the router? I do not think it would help because the security settings are not entered into the main PC, but have to be entered into all other devices using the network.

It could be so many things it will just have to be narrowed down with trial and error.

5. TRAVELMGR

TRAVELMGR Member

I have a WRT54G. I was attempting to set my PC and Dell L.t up with this router and was having similar problems. I friend of my came over. It took him about 1/2 hour to get it going properly. What he did, precisely, I could not tell you, but it was necessary to "ipconfig" on each of the machines.

Click at “START”
    Click “RUN”
    Type “ipconfig”
    DOS screen displays “C” prompt,
    Type “C:\Documents and Settings\YOURuserNAME>ipconfig /all”

From what little I could gather, each machine has its own I.P address and maybe there is an address conflict going on. Once each machine was squared away, then I was able to set up the encryption.
    Prior to my friend Larry coming over, I had tried unsucessfully for about an hour. During my meaderings on the web, I got the below info. Whether it will make any sense to anyone or not, I will just pass along what I have. Good luck. Let me know how things turn out. You can also, if it is okay to pass it along here, reach me at rcoleman3rd6380@sbcglobal.net. Larry's working experience has been in private sector and government.

=====================================================================
    This is what I got from the internet about IP Adresses

"Events from private IP addresses"

"1. IP addresses of the format 192.168.xxx.xxx, 10.xxx.xxx.xxx, and 172.16.0.0 - 172.31.255.255 are referred to as non-routable or private IP addresses. Basically, these IP addresses should never leave your network, and can be trusted most of the time.
    The 192.168 block is used with Microsoft Internet Connection Sharing (ICS). If you are using ICS, and see events from this IP block, you might want to add the IP address 192.168.255.255 to your Trusted IP Addresses list. This will trust the entire 192.168.xxx.xxx block.
    If you are not on a private network, and see events from these IP ranges, the source IP address may be spoofed, or faked. Spoofed packets are usually a sign that someone is scanning around looking for Trojans. It's important to remember that Personal Firewall blocked this attempt, so your computer is safe.
    Since private IP address refer to totally different computers depending on what network you are on, reporting these events will have no effect, so there's no need to do so."

6. Dunker

Dunker Regular member

With a Netgear your IP should be 192.168.0.x, where x is from 2 to 254. Of course, Netgear routers are junk, and it could have crapped out for any of a number of reasons.

@A7XSOAD

Try shutting down your computer, router, and modem (pull the power plug if necessary). Wait 30 seconds. Then, first plug in the modem and let it run its self-test. If you have cable, the CABLE light should stop flashing after about a minute. Even if it doesn't, then plug the router back in, and, after a minute, finally boot your computer. Lemme know how it turns out.

7. a7xsoad

a7xsoad Regular member

Sorry I haven't responded, but I wasn't able to find this thread anymore for some reason.

TRAVELMGR, I tried that, but the C prompt wouldn't come up. As soon as I typed in ipconfig the window would show something then close. I tried to capture it, but it wouldn't get it. I really don't know what to do anymore. Well I recently found out that my sister downloaded this Myspace tracker thing. I think that might have contributed to the problem, but that's just my assumption.

Ps. i figured out it wasn't the router since I was able to connect with my laptop from the same distance. Further actually, I also tried the very same card on my computer to make sure it wasn't the card and it worked on my computer.

Last edited: Jan 19, 2007
  8. a7xsoad

a7xsoad Regular member

bump^

9. Dunker

Dunker Regular member

An addendum to TRAVELMGR's instructions is to type CMD in the Run box. That'll put you in DOS. THEN type IPCONFIG /ALL If there is too much on screen try IPCONFIG /ALL | MORE An alternative is to go into Start->Control Panel->Network Connections and right-click you connection (probably a "wireless" I assume) and click Status and then Details. It should show you your IP address, DNS servers, gateway, etc.

10. TRAVELMGR

TRAVELMGR Member

No problem regarding your response, I had not been out here since my reply to you. Hey I got an update for you. I turned my laptop on went to "RUN" did what I passed along to you[do] and got the same result...no screen.
    Buuuuuut, in looking at the dropdown menu, I also saw "cmd". I highlighted that, hit "Enter" and Voila!. My "C" prompt displayed and when I typed in the "ipconfig/all", Bingo! Now what to do from there, I'm still newbie clueless, but check it out.
    I noted the "junk" comment, from one of the replies,(no offense taken, but as this is my first time out,going wireless,I'm not experienced enough to know the difference(in wireless gear), but it was, at minimum, a great learning experience and a gigantic pain in the butt. Thank goodness I had a pro to help me get everything up. I going on two weeks of trouble free operation. One day, due to a Thunderstorm, someplace, we momentarily lost power. I could not get out on either computer. So I shut EVERYTHING OFF, waited a good couple of minutes, powered everything back up and have been running just fine. Hopefully this will keep you encouraged. Good luck to you and keep me posted, if you don't mind. Now I'm going to find me and a Miles Davis album to listen to, on my turntable.Yep, I'm still a little old fashion:).

11. TRAVELMGR

TRAVELMGR Member

DUNKER, Between a potty break and being a little wordy,on this end you beat me to the "enter" key:). You succinctly got him up to speed, and helped my knowledge base that much more. Thank you.

12. Dunker

Dunker Regular member

You're welcome. I guess, as they say, teach and learn ... I'm always learning new stuff 'round here too! :)

13. TRAVELMGR

TRAVELMGR Member

Was the router problem finally resolved. Checking some old threads and thought to followup, before deleting. Take care all.