1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

no internet connection

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by whiskey99, Jan 26, 2015.

1. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

no ducks here as all gone south for the winter.

2. 2oldGeek

2oldGeek Active member

Yeah, We got 'em.... It's 75deg F here...... Eat'a u heart out.... :p

3. whiskey99

whiskey99 Regular member

HI,2oldGeek, Heres the SPECCY the only difference between these two PC'S is the PSU in this one is 305watts and the other one is 500watts. this one is 3GHZ
    Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit SP1
    CPU
    AMD Athlon 64 X2 6000+ 53 °C
    Windsor 90nm Technology
    RAM
    4.00GB Dual-Channel DDR2 @ 375MHz (6-6-6-18)
    Motherboard
    Dell Inc 0CT103 (Socket M2 )
    Graphics
    Generic Non-PnP Monitor (1024x768@60Hz)
    1023MB NVIDIA GeForce GT 610 (NVIDIA) 56 °C
    Storage
    149GB Seagate ST316081 2AS SCSI Disk Device (SATA) 38 °C
    931GB Seagate ST1000DX 001-1CM162 SCSI Disk Device (SATA) 39 °C
    931GB Seagate Expansion+ USB Device (USB (SATA)) 30 °C
    Optical Drives
    TSSTcorp DVD+-RW TS-H653A SCSI CdRom Device
    Audio
    High Definition Audio Device

4. whiskey99

whiskey99 Regular member

HI,2oldGeek,Well i got my inter card installed same,device manager says i have it installed,but i can not connect to the internet.
    I took and shut down my sons PC hooked mine up to his connection that was working and still no complete connection it is as if something is blocking out going connection one thing i noticed was on my sons PC that is a modem whereas i have not seen that yet i know if and when i do get this to work it will be something simple and stupid.
    I know this like beating a dead horse but if i can not figure this out now i may run into this in the future and not know how to fix it.

5. ddp

don't need a modem on the computer as that is for dialup & for faxing? what browsers are you trying to use to get on the net?

6. whiskey99

whiskey99 Regular member

I have tried both fire fox and internet explorer,i did not think i needed a modem as i have one with Comcast cable

7. ddp

is this the pc where you had to reload win7 before or the pc that you where trying to use 2 different operating systems on 2 different hard drives?

8. 2oldGeek

2oldGeek Active member

Also, you must go into BIOS and set it for the external ethernet card and not the internal chip...

edit: go into bios under integrated peripherals and disable Onboard LAN Function....

Last edited: Feb 21, 2015
  9. whiskey99

whiskey99 Regular member

HI,2oldGeek,I have tried to get into the BIOS but either i am doing something wrong,i have tried the following esc,f2,f8,f12,delete,i have been into it before just to see whats in there but PC was working good so did not mess with anything in there from what i saw about getting the BIOS is you to press the above buttons before LOGO shows on screen.
    Yes ddp this the same PC that has 2 HDD'S in it but WINXP is disconnected right now was thinking about hooking it back up and see if i get on the internet i will do that after this post,also put new battery in MOBO thats when things really went bad but after awhile things started to work so i just figured battery voltage was low and needed to be charged.

10. 2oldGeek

2oldGeek Active member

Actually, you need to press the key WHILE the logo screen is on....
    Most use the DELETE key, try tapping it repeatedly while the LOGO screen is on....

11. ddp

it will usually show what button to press to get into the bios.

12. 2oldGeek

2oldGeek Active member

Sometimes, for us old guys, it flashes too fast to read...:eek:

13. whiskey99

whiskey99 Regular member

The thing that really irks me right now and this has happened twice in lower right corner of screen it it displaying that the copy WIN 7 is not legitimate which came in a sealed box with the numbers that i called into M/S to activate the OS.
    I have come to the point of going to WALMART and buying a refurbished PC with WIN 7 installed.
    Then when i get the time i could pursue getting the door stop i have been trying to get to work at my leisure and not burning up the last few brain cells i have because at 74 yrs. old they are few and far between.

14. 2oldGeek

2oldGeek Active member

Did you ever get your internet to work???

15. whiskey99

whiskey99 Regular member

No,It will not connect to the internet it has big X on screen showing it has not connected.
    I get the F2 OR F12 but that really does not take where i believe i need to go.
    The WIN 7 forum said there was a repair program on install disk but it did not even show up and if i am right isn't
    there something in the BIOS where you can change different parts of it not just the setup or boot menu.
    Could i have gotten a bug in my PC that is buried so deep that unless you really good at diagnosing a PC
    the average person may never be able to find you know like in the registry where most people should stay out of.

16. pmshah

pmshah Member

I have a suggestion you might want to try. Personally I prefer Nod32 which has served me extremely well for more than 8 years.

First you might want to try booting into "safe mode with network connection". Yry connecting to internet and see what happens. If you can connect go to the next step.

Download latest version of Stinger on your son's PC. Run it on your PC in safe mode. This can be tricky as most times windows running in safe mode may not mount any of your USB connected storage devices. You may have to copy it to your PC first and then run it in safe mode. I am suggesting this from first hand experience of malware missed by antivirus that will simply not allow internet connection. You just might be surprised at the result.

17. ddp

you can run malwarebytes in safemode but don't think that is the problem as supposedly fresh install of win7.

18. pmshah

pmshah Member

Another thing that you can in the process of elimination is to download a copy of Live DSL or Puppy Linux and see if it can connect to the Internet. This should tell you if the problem is with the hardware or the installed OS. I got a few 802.11 B/G/N wifi dongles with Ralink chipset from AliExpress at $ 2.50 each including postage. They work flawlessly. No sense in shelling out good money without first pinpointing the exact problem.

19. whiskey99

whiskey99 Regular member

HI,I downloaded NOD32 and STINGER but for some reason all i got was short cuts maybe i over looked something in the download that should have given me the full program the USB showed nothing but short cuts was going to remove what i got downloaded but waiting to see what think might have happened.

20. pmshah

pmshah Member

You probably dragged the link in stead of either clicking on it - which should have given you option of how and where to download OR right clicking the link to select an option from the context menu.

Here are the links....

http://www.mcafee.com/us/downloads/free-tools/stinger.aspx

Windows (32-bit): http://download.eset.com/download/win/eav/eav_nt32_enu.msi
    Windows (64-bit): http://download.eset.com/download/win/eav/eav_nt64_enu.msi