1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

no internet connection

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by whiskey99, Jan 26, 2015.

1. 2oldGeek

2oldGeek Active member

Whiskey99, take my word (as I have been geeking computers for over 50 years) downloading software like stinger or eset is not going to correct your problem...... :( sad but true.....

There are reasons that you cannot connect to the internet and they are not software or malware.. Maybe hardware or corrupted system files..
    You have a new network card, as I understand it, and it must be directed in your BIOS for it to be able to work... You will HAVE to be able to get into BIOS and set it for the network card in order to use it!
    Other things to try is to run a System File Check, SFC /scannow, from your run box or run CHKDSK to repair any bad sectors that have caused the system files to be corrupted.......

The "peanut gallery" will tell you all kinds of software to try and it will do you no good at all... First and most important task is to be able to get into BIOS and direct your new net card......... Let me know??????

2oG

2. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

Whiskey99, what is the make & model# of the computer or motherboard?
    2oG, I'm not part of the peanut gallery as I'm not jimmy carter!

3. 2oldGeek

2oldGeek Active member

I know..... You're more like Billy Carter..... I kinda liked Billy Beer.. ;)

4. GrandpaBW

GrandpaBW Active member

But Billy Carter has been dead for over 26 years. ddp is alive and well. :)

5. pmshah

pmshah Member

I most certainly can't claim 50 years of experience but can for 23 years when I ought my first 486 system. I am guessing 2oldgeek beats me by at least 5 years in age. In any case with my engineering background and experience of over 45 years I have learned the process of elimination quite thoroughly. Forget about installed OS. First you have to determine the exact point of failure. That is the reason I suggested downloading and running any recent version of Live Puppy Linux. That will give you a very definitely answer if there is any hardware failure.

BTW you do not need to tinker with the bios. I have 2 Ethernet (on board AND addon) + a wifi USB dongle on my system working simultaneously.

6. 2oldGeek

2oldGeek Active member

Oh @pmshah, let's not get into a pissing contest.. My first real job after schooling was with a Railroad Co. as a programmer on an IBM 65 in 1965 and have been building computers since the early 70's. In the early 80's I was a Computer Marketing Mgr. for Tandy Corp. My last 27 years have been as Chief Engineer and IT director for a hotel chain starting in '88 (before we had an internet). I'll be 73 in May and still work 2 or 3 days a week at the hotel.
    With your engineering background I just know you are not comfortable with someone looking over your shoulder with suggestions that disturbs the integrity of what you are doing....

The reason I would like to see whiskey check his Bios is that he jumped and bought a network card and put it in his computer. Some Bios have an Onboard LAN Function that has to be disabled for the card to work... With that out of the way we could move to the next step..

whiskey is not real knowledgeable on computers and doesn't need several things thrown at him at one time. He has bounced those hard drives around so much that there is no telling what is really on them.
    He wanted to upgrade his older computer to Win 7 and bought a HD with an SSD cache and a boxed OEM Win 7. He also wanted to keep his XP and not knowing how to set up a dual boot he is attempting to use 2 drives, one with XP and one with Win7. This brings up other problems that are not as simple as downloading a different AV or puppy.

Also this:
    Many online stores seem to sell OEM copies of Windows in boxes. This isn’t technically allowed via Microsoft’s license agreement, but if you do buy such a box, you won’t be allowed to move it to a new PC after installing it on a PC.

Only heaven knows what whiskey has done to trigger this "not legitimate" flag but, yes there is a work around for it....

2oG :cool:

7. ddp

fight children, I hate peace, I like a good rumble.

8. 2oldGeek

2oldGeek Active member

Who pulled your string? That was no rumble....
    GranpaBW was right... You are still alive and bumping your post count.
    Trying to be like this guy?

Capture.PNG

9. GrandpaBW

GrandpaBW Active member

You two, with your friendly banter, brings a smile to my face. :)

10. 2oldGeek

2oldGeek Active member

@GrandpsBW You know as well as I, Grandpa, that life at this stage is too short to be really serious anymore...... I've always heard that the 2 people not to mess with were the young and the old.. The young have no sense and will kill you, the old have lived their life, don't care any more, and will kill you.......
    Thank you for your service. I, like Bill Clinton, never served in Nam. He went to Russia and I tried to enlist but was rejected because I was too mean! Really? I thought that was what they wanted! Someone that could Kill, Mame, mutilate, Eat dead burnt bodies and show the veins in their teeth without any remorse......... Guess I was Wrrrrrrrrong, ouch, hard to say that word. I got married, went to college and had three kids that are very prolific and have blossomed into 13 Grand kids (a bakers dozen) and 10 Great Grand kids....................

ddp and I poke each other all the time but understand that it's totally in jest.... :D

Bless you and have a "Happy"
    2oldGeek - That's "2" and not "Too", old with a little "o" and Geek with a capital "G" :p

Last edited: Mar 1, 2015
  11. pmshah

pmshah Member

@2oldGeek Get into a pissing contest ? Who Me ? Absolutely not. I was right in one respect though. You are senior to me by 4 years. I will be 69 in July.

I do not believe in spending money - be it mine or client's - to fix something unless I am absolutely sure that it would. So what I was suggesting - Stinger or Live Linux - was to be certain that it was indeed the problem - I mean the Ethernet chip / card or whatever. It would cost a bit in time and effort but would go towards gaining some experience too.

There is another thing that I must concede about bios compatibility on dual ethernet. I have never been a fan f Intel - processors or chipsets. Until very recently I stuck with AMD - VIA combo which has NEVER given me any problems. I have clients still happily running 10/12 year old machines. The old time 810 based Intel mobos were most certainly a major pain and I had forgotten all about them.

In any case I just hope Whisket99 manages to sort out his problem.

12. 2oldGeek

2oldGeek Active member

@pmshah You will notice that ddp and I are in a pissing mode most of the time but, none of it is taken seriously.. :rolleyes:

I also am not in favor of spending money but, after I commented about using a net card to check the mobo chip, whiskey ordered one and installed it. Now he can't seem to be able to get into bios. We'll see.. o_O

I too am an AMD fan. Built this computer about 5 yrs ago. It's an AMD x4 960T that I opened to an x6 1600T and overclocked to 4.2 GHz. Still doing it's thing so, nothing planed yet....

I see you have been a member at AD since 06 and only have a handful of posts.. Get on more and do some "rope-a-dopes" with ddp and this old geek.

Have a Happy!
    2oG

13. ddp

you guys can't get into a pissing contest as i'll flush you done the toilet.
    still waiting on whiskey to say what computer or motherboard he has tho think it is a dell.

14. 2oldGeek

2oldGeek Active member

I think you meant DOWN and if so, can't be DONE because my head is so large with my MEGA Brain that it won't fit the hole..... I keep a check on it every time I get a drink of water.... :oops:

15. ddp

meant down. can always use a pin to pop your head like a balloon as mostly hot air in it.

16. 2oldGeek

2oldGeek Active member

Thought I was DONE for the last time I got a drink, the dam lid hit me in the back of the head..... :eek:

17. ddp

ewwwwww!!!!

18. 2oldGeek

2oldGeek Active member

Getting banged by that dam lid is one of the reasons that I'm sharp as a tack and twice as flat headed.... :p

19. ddp

I thought as dull as a butter knife & flat headed from the hits from the wife for not doing your chores on time.

20. 2oldGeek

2oldGeek Active member

I was overly keeping up with my chores until wife found the little blue pills and flushed them.....
    took a week to get the toilet lid to stay down... but I didn't get hit in the head while getting a drink... :rolleyes: