1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

no mpeg-2 decoders installed on this computer ???

Discussion in 'MPEG-1 and MPEG-2 encoding (AVI to DVD)' started by nascards, Dec 16, 2004.

1. nascards

nascards Member

I hope this is the right forum if not please lead me in the right direction. well I just built a new system see specs in signature. I just burned a movie using dvd shrink and dvd decry. the movie plays fine on my home dvd player but when I try and watch the movie on my system using windows media player 10 I get error windows medis player cannot play this dvd because a compatable dvd decoder is not installed on your computer.so I go to microsoft web site and get this utility called microsoft windows xp vidio decoder checkup utility. and this says there are no MPEG-2 decoders installed on this computer.help please what does this mean

2. aldaco12

aldaco12 Active member

It means like your PC is not able to read DVDs and SVCDs. It also happened to my old PC running Win 2K and having onle a CD-ROM unit; when I changed it with another one win Win XP having a DVD-ROM unit (with InterVideo DVD installed) all error regarding reading SVCD and DVDs disappeared.
    I don't know the proper software you could install; try checking Microsoft's site.
    But this is only a software problem; it doesn't convern your hardware. Maybe, if you cannot obtain it in Microsoft's site, you can get somewhere alse some freeware MPEG-2 decoder.

Last edited: Dec 16, 2004
  3. stardust

stardust Regular member

Last edited: Dec 17, 2004