1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

No RCA on my Samsung HDTV?

Discussion in 'HDTV discussion' started by jeff415, Jan 28, 2009.

1. jeff415

jeff415 Member

I recently got a 32" Samsung HDTV. I wanted to connect my DirectTV to the HDTV so I could watch TV, but there's no RCA input/output (red, white, yellow). All there is in the back of the HDTV is 2 sets of component cables and 2 HDMI input/output.

The audio obviously works fine because red goes to red, and white goes to white. Yellow if video, but the component input/output has red, blue, and green. When I plug the yellow into blue or green, nothing shows up on the screen. Only when I plug the yellow into the red video, there's picture on the TV screen...but it's black/white! What do I do if there's no RCA input/output?

I even purchased a RCA to HDMI conversion cable and when I hook it all up, the TV doesn't even find the source of the DirectTV.

HELP!

2. dailun

dailun Active member

You need

1)A different TV that has composite input or

2)A new receiver.

You need a receiver that provides at least progressive scan (5 RCA cables) output but HDMI would be better.

IMHO, composite video (single yellow) would be a waste of time on that set since you can't put an HD signal through composite.

RCA to HDMI will not work unless it's a true converter (composite to HDMI) and not just a cable.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2009
  3. jeff415

jeff415 Member

My RCA to HDMI definitely isn't a true converter. Where would I be able to buy one? Best Buy maybe? I'm trying to avoid getting a new receiver because I also have the same exact problem with my DVD player since it also has RCA outputs.

4. dailun

dailun Active member

Jeff,

I know this isn't what you want to hear, but you are going to have to abandon (trade/sell/replace) that TV or upgrade all of your input equipment.

You are kind of defating the purpose of buying an HDTV if none of your inputs will be HD or support better than standard TV inputs..

I'm not even sure that you can find an economical converter as no one would attempt this conversion because you are gaining nothing by doing so. All the converters that I see are in the $150.00 and up range.

I don't know what the receiver will run you, but you can find an upscaling DVD player with HDMI output for $39-59 USD nowadays.

5. scorpNZ

scorpNZ Active member

Assuming there is'nt a flap on the side of the tv that contains the RCA,you could try to take the tv back,tho when you say recent that could mean you've had it for a month or more in which case it's get another tv

6. Mick3844

Mick3844 Member

Does the TV have a RF input (from antenna), and does the DirecTV STB have a RF (coax) output? If that is the case this is the connection you will need (TV set to channel 3, or 4).