1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Problem No Singal on Monitor

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by Flawnex, Oct 5, 2016.

1. Flawnex

Flawnex Newbie

I don't know if I should just do a new post to get more attention, but I'll atleast put this up here. So the professional I took the setup so he'd take a look at it said that the problem is on the motherboard. Now when I finally received my replacement motherboard, the same issue still continues with nothing changed. I also noticed now that the fans are accelerating first, then they slow down alot and start accelerating again until they slow once again, which would make me think that the problem is on the power supply.

Original post:
    I've done some stuff already to fix this, like remounting the GPU, remounting RAM (One by one, booted with each one alone as well) It's my first PC build, so there could be some silly goof ups, so I might have missed something important. Everything seems to be mounted nicely, had no issues with them, all fans and the hard drive disk started running on first boot, but monitor gave no response. Haven't tried the monitor on another pc, haven't tried any other hardware either.

Specs:
    AMD Athlon 860K
    Gigabyte GTX 760 2GB
    Corsair CX500w
    Gigabyte GA-F2A88XM-DS2
    Seagate 1TB HDD
    Ballistix 2x4GB RAM Kit, don't remember the accurate name.
    All this packed into a Versa H21, can't manage to hear the beeb sounds when booting.
    Using an Acer 23.8 inch 60Hz monitor, which is working normally otherwise. (Connected via a DVI-D port)

Plugged in both PCI-E cords from the PSU, power on the CPU, it's cooler, the MOBO obviosly, system fans and the HD. Earlier when I was trying to boot it, the monitor found the input and it opened the BIOS, but it closed soon after to the No Singal screen again. No clue what to do now.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited: Nov 17, 2016
  2. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

what video ports are you using on the monitor & videocard?

3. Flawnex

Flawnex Newbie

DVI-D

4. ddp

take the videocard out of the system & use the onboard dvi port on the motherboard.

5. Flawnex

Flawnex Newbie

Same result as before. Don't know if this is relevant to what information you were looking for in that test, nor do you know this already, but the Athlon 860K does not have integrated graphics on it.

6. ddp

try the monitor on another computer even a friend's for testing purposes. try your videocard on another computer even a friend's for testing purposes. try another videocard even a friend's for testing purposes. disconnect all cables to drives, reseat all ram, reseat videocard & try clearing the cmos as found that to work sometimes to kickstart stubborn systems.

7. Flawnex

Flawnex Newbie

I'll have to leave this for tomorrow, but I can try atleast the monitor on another PC, meaby I can try the GPU on another PC as well. But how do I clear CMOS when I don't have access to BIOS? Thanks for the help, I'm in need of some sleep now. I know, It's terrifying.. having to sleep? Almost as scary as interacting with another live human..

8. ddp

read your motherboard manual on how to clear the cmos as not done thru the bios.

9. 2oldGeek

2oldGeek Active member

Using an Acer 23.8 inch 60Hz monitor, which is used, but the previous owner said it worked normally.

Who cares what the previous owner says...... Has it ever worked for you??
    Test it on another computer where the installed monitor there is working......
    If it works there, the problem is your computer.. if it don't work. it's probably the monitor.... o_O

Last edited: Oct 5, 2016
  10. Flawnex

Flawnex Newbie

Yeah I'm going to test the monitor soon today, but just meantioning, I've known the previous owner for years, so I doubt he sold me a broken monitor. Though, will see, I'll contact after I've tested it.

11. Flawnex

Flawnex Newbie

So I just tested the monitor (with another cable though) on another pc and it worked with no trouble. Could be the cable I use to connect the new pc to the monitor as I had to use a different cable to the other pc, because it's a toaster and doesn't support DVI-D.

12. 2oldGeek

2oldGeek Active member

Hummm, could be. Are you sure your vid card is set up ok and working?
    Were you able to clear the cmos and get access to bios?

13. Flawnex

Flawnex Newbie

I'm pretty confident about it, the fans run fine and I got it from the same guy as the monitor. Everything else is bought off Amazon. I don't really have a way to test it, atleast right now, will try it though.

14. 2oldGeek

2oldGeek Active member

I think ddp probably does more vid cards than I and may be able to give you some check points...

15. Flawnex

Flawnex Newbie

Alright, though I think it could be the motherboard as well. Meaby a shot in the dark, but still got the feeling of it. As I've googled for help in this issue most people have talked about the motherboard.

16. 2oldGeek

2oldGeek Active member

Mybad, I should have read the first post. :(

I assume that your monitor did not work on your first boot. Now that the monitor checks good, I would suspect the computer is not booting up and I would go through the instructions for the assembly to see if I missed a step or placed a wire on the wrong connection or missed a connection, etc. etc.

17. ddp

until your videocard is tested on another computer then can't say possible motherboard issue.

18. Flawnex

Flawnex Newbie

I'll try to get on it next week, can't really do anything home now. About the CMOS cleaning, I didn't find my jumper so I removed the battery from the motherboard for around 10 minutes, still no dice.

19. Flawnex

Flawnex Newbie

I'll try to get on it and reassemble it today, in case I've missed something.

20. Flawnex

Flawnex Newbie

I reassembled the whole PC and still have the same issue, with no sound and fans spinning and all the same.