1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

No sound on computer

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by kookie56, Oct 9, 2014.

1. kookie56

kookie56 Regular member

I don't know if this is where I should be, but I suddenly have no sound on my computer.
    No sounds for videos, no sound for music, and no sound for system.
    I don't know why it is gone or why.
    Can anyone tell me what I could do to fix this problem?
    Thank you

2. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

what does it show for soundcard in device manager & is the "volume" icon speaker shown in the taskbar?

3. kookie56

kookie56 Regular member

Exactly where should I look for the soundcard? If I look under "sound video and game controllers" there is a list .
    AnvSoft Virtual Sound Device...
    High Definition Audio Device...
    Realtek High Definition Audio...
    WS Audio Device

Is that where I am suppose to look?
    Yes ...my sound icon is on the taskbar and it is set at 100%

4. scorpNZ

scorpNZ Active member

Yep that's it as to where your to look,so long as there's no exclamation marks in device manager continue reading,if there is an exclamation you'll need to determine if drivers are required or part is stuffed,still you can switch to front or rear if one is damaged

play a vid or music,while thats playing right clik on icon in system tray (where you see it in taskbar you mention above),you'll see a list in the menu,select play back devices"By rights you should now be looking at a menu with pictures of at least 3 of the devices,one of them should have a green tick that means it's whats set as default playback.......if you use sound output at rear of onboard (motherbaord) sound device then select No:2 unless your using a add in sound card

No;2 & 3 are i think rear & front or vice versa onboard sound (original to when you bought computer)

1.. AnvSoft Virtual Sound Device....... most probably from an add in card or a software youinstalled
    2..High Definition Audio Device...
    3..Realtek High Definition Audio...
    4..WS Audio Device.......................................................no idea wtf that is

When installing new software or attaching hdmi or some other crap it may set itself as default sound output thats most probably why its changed

Last edited: Oct 9, 2014
  5. ddp

did you try a pair of headphones just in case the speakers crapped out? if have sound output\input jacks in front of case then try the speakers\headphones there to see if have sound or not.

6. xboxdvl2

xboxdvl2 Regular member

sound. if your computer has sound check volumn if it shows but no sound its speakers here an image to show sound the green indicates sound..

7. kookie56

kookie56 Regular member

Thank you. I feel really stupid. I tried the headphones and found I had sound. Then I looked at my speakers.
    My son was in town for a funeral and used my computer the day before he went home. He must have turned my speakers off.
    I turned them back on and turned up the sound. The sound is there.
    I am sorry I wasted your time, because I didn't think to look at the obvious.
    Thank you again! and I am sorry for the inconvenience.

8. ddp

teach & learn & give him a few wacks on the back of the head for stressing you out over this.

tongs007 likes this.
  9. xboxdvl2

xboxdvl2 Regular member

don't worry kookie.
    my sound messed up all the time (half the time my volume control disappears).
    right now i have sound but check this out my audio service is apparently not running but i have sound. sound2.

10. megadunderhead

megadunderhead Regular member

It actually happens with realtek cards when realtek changes a version number on the card is when it gets messy a example.

i had a alienware server older model loved it not a bad machine just the stupid sound card driver i went to alien wares driver database and i found the realtek driver 0.01 thinking hey theres the driver then i noticed several other drivers listed below it i found a version 1.0.1 then a version 2.0.2 thinking the more update version works with my sound card i found out it doesn't it works with the same chipset just a different revision so realtek keeps reminding me of those ac97 sound cards so much