1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

No Sound

Discussion in 'Audio' started by woodworks, Dec 15, 2007.

1. woodworks

woodworks Member

I don't know what happened, but I no longer have any sound. I can't find any sound system on my comp. The only thing I can find is the following:
    LEAD MCMP/MJPEG Codec (FVW)
    Driver inabled but not functioning properly

If I click on the settings tab, I get this message:
    Driver Error
    Cannot load lead mcmp/mjpeg codec (fvw) driver file maybe missing. Try installing driver again or contact your system adminastrator

Any help will be well apprecated. Please remember, I don't have much knowledge, with comp. so please be as simple as possible.
    Thank you

2. attar

attar Senior member

The simplest solution would be to use 'System Restore' to take your PC back to when everything worked.

Start > All programs > Accessories > System Tools > System Restore.

If you wish, you may create a new restore point, before selecting a previous date.

3. burninmad

burninmad Member

I took my CPU during the SoCal. Fire Evacuations of October 2007,here in SanDiegos backcountry. I left my CPU in my Trucks Backseat(Extra Cab),the whoule time ,never "Jolting it" or otherwise Abusing it.I think.Nothing changed ,except when I left the Power was out(Apparently what caused some of these fires?)!I wasn't online at the time of disconnect and have a "True" Surge Suppressor hooked to All my PC components.I wish I would have taken the Monitor,mouse ,keyboard ,etc.First time I ever stayed in a Motel in years and voila :They got Internet hookups in rooms now!Anyway I hookup my computer exactly how I unhooked it.No Sound!I've tried different speakers ,etc.,still No Sound! When I turn the volume up on these speakers,there is static.Power is on the LED on the one. I went through my Hardware/software programs,etc.,still nothing! Any suggestions?

4. jboyle

jboyle Regular member

if theres static ur speakers mite b blown!!!! :(

5. woodworks

woodworks Member

No static. No nothing at all. They worked just fine and then I was looking to get more memory as was told that I needed the numbers on the motherboard. I couldn't find any so I took the m/b out. I was gentle, no static, not nothing out of the ordinary. When I put it back there was no sound. I've tried everything. Now it's starting to act all up, so I don't know what's with it. I just finally got it to actually start up earlier this evening.

6. jboyle

jboyle Regular member

strange problem that!!sorry cant imput any help:(

7. woodworks

woodworks Member

That's ok. I just can't understand it. I guess anything is possible. I may have done something to the m/b without knowing it. Do you know if there is a way to check out the m/b without taking it to a tech?

8. jboyle

jboyle Regular member

just to check where volume buttons connect with m/b.its probly something simple!

9. woodworks

woodworks Member

Not sure what it is. I tried to install another sound card, but to no avail. Nothing I did seemed to work. I'm tired of messing with it now. One of these days I'll try again to figure it out. Got another question if you are able to help me.
    What is task hide.exe? When I start my computer (different one) it keeps poping up.

10. jboyle

jboyle Regular member

popps up as a option? r wot?

11. woodworks

woodworks Member

As soon as I start compouter and while everything is loading, it comes up on screen saying taskhide.exe cannot be found. Then it just gives me the x in the upper right corner, or the little box in the lower middle saying ok. that's it. I click on either one and it goes away. But the next time I start up, the same thing again and again. I would like to get rid of it.

12. jboyle

jboyle Regular member

are you running windows??

13. woodworks

woodworks Member

yes, winxp

14. jboyle

jboyle Regular member

go into settings.control panel.add remove programs. look 4 it and remove it.:)

15. woodworks

woodworks Member

It's not there. I have done a search for it but can't find it. I do know I saw it the other day, but I can't remember where. I would just like to get rid of the popup.

16. jboyle

jboyle Regular member

do u think its a virus?

17. jboyle

jboyle Regular member

have u a pop up blocker installed??have u got a firewall installed?

18. woodworks

woodworks Member

Don't take this the wrong way, but if I had any ideas what it was, I wouldn't have asked what it is and do I need it and how can I get rid of it or if I need to re-get it.

19. woodworks

woodworks Member

I found where I had seen it. It is in system configuration Utility under start up. I had unchecked it, but it doesn't seem to matter, it still pops up.

20. woodworks

woodworks Member

Yes I have a popup blocker. That doesn't have anything to do with it when I first start up the computer, does it??? I don't know if I have a firewall. I'm thinking I do because windows I think did it on it's own. I could be wrong.