1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

No Video Input - Building PC

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by numbaa1, Aug 12, 2007.

1. numbaa1

numbaa1 Member

Hi,

I'm building my first computer, and have completed the installation of the hardware (sort of). Everything was working except for the DVD-RW which was plugged into the IDE port on the motherboard - no power was going to it. I solved this problem by buying a SATA DVD-RW, which worked fine when i turned the PC on, but left nothing on the screen (stating "no video input"). I thought that i had maybe slightly dislodged something on the motherboard when taking the other DVD-RW out, but everything seemed fine. I checked everything, resetted the CMOS, pulled all the components and plugs out (except the processor and the cpu fan) and put them back in - still the same. I've also changed the video card to another PCI-E card, but the same result.

Before this "no video input" problem occurred, i did notice that the BIOS was as old as yr 2002 (as that was the default date). Could a BIOS update be required? And if so, how? My dad seems to think that if I were to put an older processor in the motherboard, I will get the display back and be able to update the BIOS then. However, I don't want to pull apart my other computer at risk of breaking that and having two computers that dont work, for no reason.

I have searched through the forum and have come across an answer to this question, which was to unplug everything and plug it all in again and then reset the CMOS - which i have done to no avail.

The perplexing thing about it is that it worked before I changed my DVD ReWriter (and that's all i changed). I have tried testing everything individually. Anyone got any ideas?

SPEC:

Intel Core 2 Duo E6850 "LGA775 Conroe" 3.00GHz (1333FSB) - Retail
    Asus P5K Intel P35 (Socket 775) PCI-Express DDR2 Motherboard
    OcUK 2GB (4x1GB) PC2-6400C5 800MHz DDR2 Dual Channel Kit
    Hitachi Deskstar T7K500 NCQ 500GB SATA-II 8MB Cache
    LG Super Multi DVD Rewriter SATA
    nvidia geforce 8500 (PCI-E)
    Power supply is 570w made by Trust
    iCute box with a big fan on the front

Many thanks in advance!

John

2. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Hmm, I doubt there's much of a power difference between two DVD writers. So it works if you leave the power cable to the dvd writer unplugged?

3. numbaa1

numbaa1 Member

nope it doesnt work regardless. I even tried reconnecting the other dvdrw back to what it was before, but the same thing happened.

I've had a suggestion to use old DDR ram which should get it working and then to alter the voltage on the vdim, but need to get my hands on some to try it

4. AXT

AXT Guest

I don't know if it makes a difference, but have you checked the jumpers on the back of the DVD drive.

5. numbaa1

numbaa1 Member

yeah i've checked them. It seems more of a coincidence that this has happened around the same time as I changed the DVDRW - i don't think the dvdwr has anything to do with the problem in this case.