1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

No Video Signal to Monitor

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by Webshark, Feb 5, 2005.

1. Webshark

Webshark Member

I just received a GeForce 6800 Ultra and was eager to install it in the system listed below in my signature. As you probably know this card takes up two slots. My case (Thermaltake) doesn't use the traditional screws to hold in the cards, instead they use plastic tabs. Because of this I was unable to fit the card in there unless I removed a small part of the plastic tab so that the card could span two slots. I had to do this with a knife and it seemed to go fine.

After putting the card in I hooked up two power cables to it (the 6800 Ultra requires two power cables). One of the power cables came straight from the power supply without being split to any other devices. The other power cable was split to go to my zip drive as well as the video card.

When I tried to boot it up the first time the card emitted a loud, piercing noise (not beeping, just one long tone). I promptly shut the computer down and hooked the second power cable straight from the power supply instead of splitting it with any other devices. When I turned the computer back on I didn't hear the high-pitched noise anymore, but the monitor remained blank.

I thought perhaps my power supply couldn't handle the 6800 Ultra because 480W is the lowest they say you can use. I unhooked power to every other device in my case (other than the CPU fan) and tried turning the computer on. I still got a blank screen.

At this point I put my Radeon 9800XT back into my case to make sure it was the Video Card causing the problem. When I turned the computer on the screen stayed blank with it as well! I ran downstairs and got a monitor off of my other computer and tried it and still got a blank screen.

So now I'm thinking either my AGP slot has somehow become trashed or my whole motherboard is having problems. Everything powers on ok, the LEDs on my memory come on, the CPU fan comes on and the LED on the motherboard comes on. I went out and purchased a PCI video card to try and when I hooked it up I STILL got a blank screen.

Just wanting to know if you guys have any other suggestions. I'm thinking my motherboard is the problem, but I'd like your opinions.

Thanks,
    Web

Last edited: Feb 5, 2005
  2. Praetor

Praetor Moderator Staff Member

How about a dead monitor?

3. Webshark

Webshark Member

Quote:

"When I turned the computer on the screen stayed blank with it as well! I ran downstairs and got a monitor off of my other computer and tried it and still got a blank screen."

Nope, the monitor works.

4. beanboy07

beanboy07 Guest

Maybe check the voltage settings in bios, or clear the cmos on the board. Thats pretty wierd how the other cards don't work either. Judging by your sig I'm sure you have a big enough PSU. Good luck.

5. ScubaBud

ScubaBud Regular member

I am sure you tried or will try taking your first monitor and putting it on the PC downstairs to make sure it is OK still.

When you find this out, you will also realize that if your AGP went out and a PCI card didn't work either, either your Power supply or your MB took a voltage spike and is now toast. Try a cheap Power supply with your old video card and see what happens before replacing the MB but make sure your monitor is still working also. Also check your CMOS settings but I believe even with that, the PCI card should of given you a screen at boot.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2005
  6. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

remove all cards except video & 1 stick of ram. disconnect all cables to drives both data & power. reseat power connector(s) to motherboard. clear cmos with jumper. repower up system & post results

7. Webshark

Webshark Member

Thanks for all of the suggestions guys. I decided to completely take the motherboard out and check everything. At the same time I tidyed up the wires in the case (still kinda messy, but better than before).

When I had the motherboard out I hooked up the PCI video card and tried it. IT WORKED! I promplty tried the 6800 Ultra and IT WORKED!

I spent the rest of the afternoon putting everything back together and rerouting the wires. It's all hooked up now. I ran 3dMark03 and got a score of 12,461!

Thanks for all the help.

Later,
    Web

8. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

teach & learn