1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

No Video Signal

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by stevexbox, Nov 17, 2007.

1. stevexbox

stevexbox Regular member

I have an Foxconn 8800 with intel x38 p5e motherboard (not deluxe).
    I also am running on Rosewill 600W power supply. I have intel Q6600 Cpu. I turn on everything and no signal to the monitor. Everything is running perfectly but no signal. Can somebody help me?

UPDATE:I just tried to turn on my comp, the mobo light came on to signal it came on but nothing else came on.
    Last time this happened, i kept on pressing the power button and it crackled and smoke came out the back. Should i change psu? and what to do about Video signal?

2. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Yes you should. The Rosewill Power supply is absolutely shocking, and I'm horrified that you ignored previous advice about getting rid of it. The problem about the video signal will probably solve itself when you put a proper power supply in there. If it doesn't, it's because the power supply will have damaged some of the components.

3. stevexbox

stevexbox Regular member

4. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Ah well, you didn't mention that. Try everything exactly as before with that power supply. If you still don't get a video signal, try using a spare graphics card. If still no luck, more components may be damaged. In that case, try each one in turn really. It's really annoying when a cheap PSU toasts your PC, it's happened to me. Fortunately I got relatively lucky and only a hard drive, floppy drive, case LEDs and a stick of memory were destroyed. My CPU, Mobo, GPU and other hard drives survived. However, the 'success story' varies from time to time I'm afraid. I wish you the best of luck.

5. stevexbox

stevexbox Regular member

I have a fx5200 thats corrupted, ((in my older comp) when you turn on the computer with it in it, The first screen that is all black and in top left corner says what card you have and driver version would be so screwed up, it would show different lettering so it would be something like this

Ge╤fo§ce fx╪2╙}}
    12.151.4354(you know, the driver version)
    And some other crap.
    Ill try and find a cheap pci card just to test with.

PS You seem to be VERY ACTIVE on the forums. (Afterdawn Addict)
    Im pretty sure if there were 10 higher levels, you'd be at the top.

6. stevexbox

stevexbox Regular member

BTW, have you found anyone with the same problem?
    you know, if you put in the card in a pci-e 2.0 slot and it wont show.

Maybe because it is new?

7. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Hehe, I've made about 10,500 posts on the forums.However, the moderators have made far more posts than me. I'm only very active in this one section. (I try not to butt into areas I don't know much about!)
    As for the FX5200, unlucky mate, a firmware flash might restore it, but I'm not sure how you'd do it, since you'd need a working graphics card to see what you were doing!

As for your second card I'm not quite sure what you mean, could you rephrase it?

8. stevexbox

stevexbox Regular member

Well, i have an xe8 motherboard and foxconn 8800.
    There Are Pci-e 2.0 slots on the mobo.
    If i put the 8800gts in the slot, would my mobo recognize it regularly? Would it detect it as a graphics card? or would it try only searching pci slots for video card?
    (I should've gone with a motherboard with Integrated graphics to make life ALOT easier!!)

9. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Any recent motherboard should pick up and run any PCI express graphics card straight away (especially if there's no integrated graphics option!)

10. stevexbox

stevexbox Regular member

I'm guessing I should return my 8800gts for a replacement, right?

BTW - BIG question, are some molex connectors supposed to have 3 pins inside of them with like the first on not having a pin?

You know how inside a molex plug from a psu, there is four pins, well i have like three molex plugs with a pin missing from the first slot.

I'm starting to think ALOT about this.

These are what im plugging into my graphics cards.

11. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Er, no, your graphics card doesn't take a molex connector, your graphics card should take a PCI-express power connector, a small 6-pin affair.

12. stevexbox

stevexbox Regular member

It came with a 6-pin connector with 2 Molex connectors on the opposite end.(I think it is because it requires 26 amps)
    And It doesnt matter anymore, The Graphics card part connector with the two-molex connectors, that is the one with 3 pins and an empty slot on both molex connectors.

I wonder if the psu is causing no video.
    Could it possibly be the processor?
    The processor is supposed to be giving a hard time to close the latch where it secures the processor, right?

13. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

That's a PCI express connector. The two molex connectors are obviously what power it. It wouldn't surprise me if there is a pin (or even two pins) missing from those molex connectors, because the PCI express power connector only delivers a 12V supply (hence why there are only yellow and black wires at the graphics card end). The 5V rail (red) is not required so it's pin may be absent from the connector.
    The maximum power that can be supplied by the motherboard to a graphics card is 75W (so 6.25A at 12V), and the maximumk a card can receive off a PCI express connector is also 75W. This is why top end cards like the 8800GTX and HD2900XT use two PCI express power connectors, as they need more than 150W. The 26A figure is for the whole system to run on, not just the graphics card. Only high end SLI or crossfire setups would use as much as 26A on the 12V rail.
    The CPU is also indirectly powered off the 12V rail, which is where the rest of the power goes. The 4-pin connector that comes off the power supply (that looks very similar to the PCI express connector, but with only two yellow wires) boosts the power delivered to the CPU (I believe it can provide an extra 50W). The rest comes from the large ATX power connector in the motherboard. The 12V supply is sent to voltage regulators near the CPU, which then turn it into the low voltage the CPU uses (typically 1.3-1.5V)
    Have you got your new PSU yet? Because you won't be running any tests until you have.

14. stevexbox

stevexbox Regular member

I get the psu on the 21 of november.
    I sort of dropped the cpu when i opened it.
    Do you think a broken processor would contribute in no video signal?
    I never hear any beeps from my motherboard when i powered it on, even though im supposed to.

15. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

It all depends on what you dropped the cpu on, how hard it fell, and which part of it landed face up. In all honesty it probably makes no difference, the CPU is probably not going to be at fault (although it may well have been damaged by the PSU)
    The no video signal will have been caused by the PSU not putting out enough power. The components inside most Rosewill power supplies are only capable of about 100-150W (since most PCs don't use any more than that, often people don't notice much of a difference). Yours, however, does. So when you plugged it in, it would only have been giving your PC that much power, not enough to power your graphics card (hence the no video signal). When the cheap components inside got red hot, they failed and then shorted out. the crackle you heard was the PSU shorting out the mains. That process will either have broken down the material inside one of the components, causing it to insulate (and therefore shut down), or one of the components would have melted, preventing an electrical current to pass. (It could also have blown the fuse in the mains plug, my Qtec did when it went up. In the UK, PC fuses are 13A @ 240V. That's 3120W of power that went through the PSU at a stage. See now why they can trash components?)

16. stevexbox

stevexbox Regular member

I just got my psu today. I plug it in, turn it on, and NO power. I didnt want to risk anything so i took it off. I called coolermaster and they made me test it with some trick like open a paperclip, insert one end into green wire of 24-pin plug, insert the other end into one of the black plugs of the 8-pin plug. I turned on the switch of the back of the power supply and it turned on wihtout the need for pressing the power button. Turns out, there is nothing wrong with the new psu and he told me it will automatically turn off if something is wrong.I put everything back into the the computer and connect everything. I turn it on and there is power but then i snell something wierd so i took it off.
    I take out the gfx card and turn it on and it turns on for a split second and turns off. I suppose there was something wrong so the psu automatically turned off. I insert my old fx5200 and again it turns on for a spli second and turns back off. I am really pissed. I am thinking about a replacement for cpu and motherboard. should I?
    And what do you think about this situation? what would you do?

17. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Right, well what that essentially means is that a trip out signal is being sent to the power supply. Given that you could smell something burning, there's a faulty component somewhere, which is either causing a short circuit, or causing an overload in the motherboard, which is sending the trip out signal to the PSU. Remove all components from the PC (including the CPU and the RAM), just leaving the motherboard connected to the PSU, and see if the trip out still occurs. If it does, the motherboard has been damaged and will need replacing. If it doesn't, the motherboard may be ok and some other component is causing the problem. Find out which by powering on the PC with one of them at a time plugged in. It is highly likely that multiple components will have been damaged, so don't stop when you've found one faulty part.

18. stevexbox

stevexbox Regular member

Well, I took out everything and left only the motherboard connected with only the two power plugs connected to the motherboard.
    I switch on power to psu, green light for motherboard comes on, I press the Power button and nothing happens. Right now, i think i probably tightened the motherboard too much. I should return the motherboard for a replacement right?

19. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Did you keep the power switch connected to the motherboard?

20. stevexbox

stevexbox Regular member

Yes, BTW Quick response.