1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

no video to hdtv from laptop.

Discussion in 'Home Theater PC' started by jrod899, Feb 21, 2010.

1. jrod899

jrod899 Member

just tried to hook it up and i have no video. i have been using a vga cable just fine and figured i get an hd cable for that step up in quality. I plug in the hdmi into the laptop and the hdtv and it registers it as there. i have audio to the tv and the video will flash my desktop for a sec but goes back to a black screen. i have set the resolution and the refresh rate but there has to be something im missing.
    I have a hp G60-249wm laptop with nvidia geforce 8200m
    and a 19 coby hd tv.
    BOTH do have hdmi ports. so what am i missing?

2. Takagi

Takagi Regular member

OK, A couple of things to Consider here,
    1. Do you have to name the HDMI input on the TV ? such as 'Console', 'Computer'or 'Decoder', having the wrong name can effect the picture /sound (with Some models)
    2.On your Laptop/ PC is Dual Screen Activated? i think its [F5] or [F8] - if not you will need to set it up , Right click on your desktop screen and change your display options.

3. jrod899

jrod899 Member

no i dont have to name them and with the vga cable i just plugged it in and changed the refresh rate and i was done. i also tested the cable on my ps3 and it works fine. the audio is there but the video just wont pull through. so im at a loss atm :/

4. Takagi

Takagi Regular member

Have a look at your devices list and check if your TV is in there, your pc should recognise the TV ,

From your PC on display make sure that dual screen or extended desktop is selected, Also check that both are running the same Pal or NTSC,

I honestly think its something small as you said you got it with the VGA connection (What os are you using on your pc ?)

5. jrod899

jrod899 Member

my pc does recognize the tv and i have it set duel. and my os is windows 7

6. Takagi

Takagi Regular member

Well Im sure you probably tried all this-
    1. turn everything off.
    2. Connect everthing
    3. Turn on TV first
    4. Turn on PC.

If no Joy
    Try again using another HDMI socket on TV,

If still No Joy
    Try assigning something to the HDMI on your TV menu, (start with computer if its on the list) and for each one Try the above routine,

Its just that when I plug the laptop to my PC When both are on, Sometimes it works , Sometimes i lose sound , sometimes i lose picture. I hope you get it sorted mate coz something like that is really annoying - you know you got all the gear !

7. mickymac

mickymac Member

Hi im having more or less the same problem.I connected my laptop to my tv by hdmi cable to watch movies on my laptop and it worked fine for a few weeks but last night it stopped working and on tv screen it says no signal any help please.thanks mike

8. Takagi

Takagi Regular member

Hi mickymac, i think for it to stop suddenly , its likely that something in your setup has changed, eg, Software update or a config change, .
    check to see if the TV appears in your devices list ,
    Disconnect the HDMI Cable and reconnect - When you do this does the Pc screen Flicker ?
    on your TV does the Channel desciption go off or Stay on (HDMI 1 , 2 etc) as once a signal is detected it should go off.
    Also Check to see if the media player you always use is still your default player.

A few things for you to try out - see What happens

9. mickymac

mickymac Member

Cheers thanks i will try that and let you know how i go.
    thanks again

10. mickymac

mickymac Member

Hi Takagi i tried what you suggested but no joy,a friend of mine said it might be the resolution i don know at this stage.thanks again

11. jrod899

jrod899 Member

WHAT!? you thread hijacker! lol. so i literally have tried EVERYTHING! im am at a loss. oh despair. what a cruel tease! i might never get to see my pc games on a beautiful hd tv in HD!

12. Takagi

Takagi Regular member

Hi mickymac,

if nothing has changed and your TV is not getting a signal, then it has to be 1 of 2 things

the Cable is not connected properly or is faulty ( Very Rare)

Or the PC is not outputting a picture (most Likely) if possible Try it out on another tv Just a quick plug in with a different cable.

the HDMI connection is a talkback connection so it may not work if the TV is turned on after the PC. ( no Talkback)

13. Takagi

Takagi Regular member

Hi jrod,
    I have windows 7 upgrade from vista my laptop is connected to my TV full time (not always on Mind),

the beauty of it all is its all plug and play - Except Yours doesn't !

This Should be really straight forward but for some reason Something is preventing it from doing what it should normally do, I would suggest try reset your TV to factory setting and your laptop display & restart the process Because Out of the box the 2 work together thats the beauty of HDMI so something happened to them to prevent them working ,
    You have all the righth stuff so dont give up ! ( funny Post BTW A thread terrorist :) )

14. traolach

traolach Member

hi folks, i'm running win 7 on an inspiron 1525, and had been SUCCESSFULLY ouputting video via hdmi cable to hd tv UNTIL YESTERDAY.SO I CHECKED PLAYBACK DEVICESto discoverthat hdmi no loger listed in playback devices. oNLY DIGITAL OUTPUT DEVICE AND SPEAKERS ARE LISTED

15. Takagi

Takagi Regular member

Traolach Have alook and see if your tv is still listed in your network devices -
    this has been reported a few times so maybe there was An update that changed your settings

If its not there you can always try and go to a previous restore point (Bit extreme)