1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

No1-Where Did All The Old Timers Go Who Helped Out Here At Afterdawn,Who's Still Here? All Please Check In! CLOSED!

Discussion in 'Safety valve' started by ireland, Mar 8, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. zippyd

zippyd Active member

andmerr, if I remember correctly, you were one of the few who offered help in that thread. I didn't go out and pick any threads to rant about. Someone else displayed the link earlier and when I checked it out I thought it fit as to why some of the "old timers" had gone.....so NO, not picking on ya.

2. The_Fiend

The_Fiend Guest

You know, rotary's idea, however crazy, may just be the solution this forum needs; a clean slate.

3. Lethal_B

Lethal_B Moderator Staff Member

The idea is good in theory, but, with this being the 313609th thread, who is going to be the person to sift through all of them and seperate the useful ones from the useless ones?

Last edited: Mar 25, 2006
  4. The_Fiend

The_Fiend Guest

All it would take is choosing a number of threads that cover the most often asked questions, and thn just whiping the rest out.
    No need to sift through all of them.

5. ireland

ireland Active member

ALL THE NEWBIE'S have to do,
    is to use the search feature for the answers they need,but 99.9% of the newbies are to lazy to search,as they want the answers *(right now*) as they want to be spoon fed..
    [​IMG]

it was always like that from day one........and it will never change..

There's a distinct possibility that Apple's DRM CRAP might go down the chiottes in France, and Steve Jobs is seriously worried.

Until now, his iTunes iPod auto-loader has reigned supreme, passed off as a digital music download service. But a new French law would effectively nullify Apple DRM, meaning people could use Apple downloads on anything they wanted, and innovation and competition would be enabled instead of stifled.

http://dvdxcopy.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/321503

Peeling a potato on YouTube
    March 25, 2006 7:00 AM PST

With all the buzz over grassroots filmmaking online, it's easy to forget that there are still some very practical videos on the Web. To wit, Lifehacker.com offers this demonstration of how to peel a potato in one easy step.
    Posted by Mike Yamamoto

http://news.com.com/2061-11200_3-6053947.html?part=rss&tag=6053947&subj=news

Last edited: Mar 26, 2006
  6. The_Fiend

The_Fiend Guest

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 26, 2006
  7. Rotary

Rotary Senior member

hi

and add a spoon full of sugar, helps the medicine go down, in the most deliteful way...

hehe...

--------------------------------

i say dump the lot and start over and grab a couple extra mods to police this town, time to get back on the track and become the power behind the legend once more...

and also throw in an email to all users on any infomation like "no chatting on threads" or "Any flaming gets a 2 week IP address BAN" yeah time for the big boots...

sort of a loose privileges type enforcement or stick a warning tag next to name (name and shame approach)

basically keeping users at bay and letting know its not a free for all and we are all people...

Last edited: Mar 25, 2006
  8. andmerr

andmerr Guest

you have a point rotary and heres another.We all have seen this spoon now so isnt it time to minise it down a bit.776X1200 pixels is a bit much dont you all think............

9. Lethal_B

Lethal_B Moderator Staff Member

I like your way of thinking, Rotary. Unfortunately, I don't believe the I.P suggestion is possible though, as it has been mentioned on more than one occasion.

10. brian100

brian100 Guest

Ahmen!

What a god awful sight they make. A new member must just look at them and think.."WTF..how on earth can anyone follow any conversations".

Displaying huge great graphics in a thread, that quite frankly have NO bearing on a subject is just as worse. Is it a cry for attention I wonder??. Just sad "showing off" as far as I am concerned.

Pissing off people often does the trick. Clean up these boards, put the emphasis back "On the subject in hand". It may get a few "old timers" back into this site..because by gad it needs it!!

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 26, 2006
  11. ireland

ireland Active member

good morning all,a cup of coffee for ye,
    [​IMG]

i think its time all of us to sit down and try to think of a good idea to fix the site,
    [​IMG]

all others heres ye pot if ye need one,
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

12. brian100

brian100 Guest

Right Ok Ireland.

The titles system. Can anyone give me one logical reason why they should stay?. let's have a list. I wish I could make a start..but I can't think of anything..

My idea for titles.

ADMIN.

Simple eh? Any problems with that so far??.

Right let's say that the ridiculous "Title system" stays. How can this be "tuned" to reward "input"

Does anyone know the capabilities of the software used for this site?
    Can it "exclude" posts that are made "out of the main fora". Yep you know where I am going with this eh? I can almost feel the "arses puckering" as I type away. Eliminate all members posts (from post count) that are made "outside" of the main fora. Yep I am talking about this abused "Safety valve". No let's re-name that area to "Chat and idle banter valve". Most members are aware of chat rooms. You know Yahoo, MSN, ICQ..da da da da..if you dont want to help others you have no place here. Feck off and go annoy someone else.

If a member is caught de-railing a post(Thread whoaring) Remove their post, keep the post "on-topic". 3 Strike rules applies. IE 3 times and you are out buddy.

If I attempt to post a new thread i get no warning message. IE "Have you searched the community for a similar question??". Introduce one..make these buggers think before they spew old questions.

Ban "non-relevant" images from all fora. They serve no purpose whatsoever.

I could go on and on..and on....but that's for later.

13. garmoon

garmoon Regular member

@brian100

I sure hope that's not directed at ireland. I find his pix very entertaining. And almost every time pix are relevant to what has been mentioned in a thread. I have never seen one complaint about them. Ireland needs no cry for attention; he's earned his prowess.

14. ireland

ireland Active member

15. LOCOENG

LOCOENG Moderator Staff Member

I think they should just shut down the Safety Valve all together...everyone is complaining about the useless garbage that goes on in here and instead of being a place to relax and kick back, it's become a place to bitch and moan about how terrible AD has become, and "look at what this guy is doing" and "how about this thread". Come on people. You say that noobs get lost in all the idle banter that occurs in the regular forums and don't feel like searching and probably won't want to come back...I think threads like this would scare them away too. A bunch of adults gossiping and bitching about one another, grow up already...clean up the BS fine, but as a virtual calling in the army to clean this place up. Seriously, it just makes us all out to look like a bunch thugs, saying no one is welcome, step out of line and you'll get banned...is this the image we want to project? The mood here as of late is so gloomy and dark, its pathetic. AD doesn't need more mods, there are enough regular members who know how to act that can try and steer posters in the right direction until the action of a mod is necessary. I'm not saying that the regulars should become the mods, but rather a mod is not needed in every situation.

As far as titles go, who cares...I'm proud of my title, but if I were just another member like the rest, then so be it. You can't make everyone happy all the time, I think we all know that.

16. brian100

brian100 Guest

@garmoon

I mentioned no names Buddy. Personally I do not know Ireland. I have been "out of this zone" for too long. He obviously has talent because he was granted the title of "Moderator". The mods that i remember well are "Neph, Herbsman, Dela, Vurbal"

I stick by my comments though..nothing will shift me on that.

17. ireland

ireland Active member

the problem is i post a pix to break the ice and the bitching keeps going going on and on.
    i set up this thread to see or find members and to why they quit posting.
    best thing to do is quit bitching...and complaining and get on with life and enjoy your stay here at afterdawn..

its up to the admins to change whats needed.

most of what being posted here lately belongs here,tell drd about what ye think that needs changed here at after dawn.
    AfterDawn feedback & suggestions
    http://forums.afterdawn.com/forum_view.cfm/13

18. gerry1

gerry1 Guest

@LOCOENG...please don't say that they should get rid of the safety valve altogether...though I realize the frustration which makes you say it. You're absolutely right; it use to be a place where everybody just relaxed and had a great time and a lot of laughs...now we've got a ton of complainers. Maybe, over the last couple of months, the planets haven't been properly aligned and some folks are going through the Dr. Jeckel / Mr. Hyde syndrome. Any astrologists in the house? It does seem like, a month or so ago, something happened that turned so many guys into plain ol' grumps overnight!

@IRELAND:...I have a suggestion; maybe, first thing each morning, you should post a nice big pic of a prozak capsule and after a few weeks of our daily virtual dose, everyone will be back to their normal, fun-loving selves. My mama use to say "If you've got nothing good to say, don't say anything at all". We should all listen to my mom!

19. cyprusrom

cyprusrom Active member

@gerry1
    Something that I think goes along with your mama's quote( found it in an AD member's sig.)
    -"Its better to be quiet and appear stupid, then to open your mouth and remove all doubt." !

20. ireland

ireland Active member

ok,gerry1,heres ye request

SIGNS YOU MAY BE SUFFERING FROM DEPRESSION

* You've got enough Prozac in your purse to tranquilize King Kong.

* You really lose it whenever someone says, "Good morning."

* You spend more time in bed than a hooker at a Shriners convention.

* You keep your house so dark that mushrooms are growing in the carpet.

* Given a choice, you'd have no preference between sex or a root canal.

* On a really bad day, you wouldn't come to the door if it was Publishers Clearing House.

* You list Dr. Kevorkian as a character reference.

* Alcohol gives you strength and food settles your nerves.

* Your hands shake so badly that you can brush your teeth without any voluntary movement.

* You've cried so much that your contacts have rusted to your eyeballs.

IF THATS TRUE YE WILL NEED THIS,
    [​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.