1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

No1-Where Did All The Old Timers Go Who Helped Out Here At Afterdawn,Who's Still Here? All Please Check In! CLOSED!

Discussion in 'Safety valve' started by ireland, Mar 8, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gerry1

gerry1 Guest

Thanks Ireland! I feel better already!

O.K. Now everybody, lets take our medication like good boys and girls!

@Cyprusrom....Ain't that the truth!!!

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 26, 2006
  2. The_OGS

The_OGS Active member

Safety Valve is great - I've no problem with Safety Valve ;^)
    And Titles are meaningless... well at least they are now (they used to have value).
    But you guys can see how it's upsetting can't you - how someone can work away for years helping people as a Senior Member, and then some new rookie guy makes Addict within 6 months through Safety Valve...?
    That's crazy and disrespectful to the Seniors that help.
    There should not be 1000's and 1000's of Addicts (by definition).
    It would therefore be easy to, once the person hits the Addict threshold, subtract the SV posts from their total.
    Addicts themselves should be leading the charge for this requirement (to protect and defend the integrity of their title).

3. LOCOENG

LOCOENG Moderator Staff Member

@ireland

That is the point I was trying to get across. I know why you started this thread and I think it was a good idea, but it has backfired...the only ones logging in are ones with complaints and you are right about the place where the questions, suggestions and comments should be posted. I heard all kinds of bad things about the safety valve before I ever posted here..."don't get caught up in that place" etc. But I saw it as an opportunity to get to know the regular posters that I was in contact with everyday in the help forums. This is the place where this kind of activity should take place, keep the conversations brief in the help forums and come here to get know your fellow posters. The rules are in place to take care of pointless BS, but what is pointless to one may not be pointless to another.

@gerry1

I don't seriously want the Safety Valve to be shut down. I think if you don't like the safety valve you shouldn't visit it...be like Doc, arniebear, saugmon and many other members who know it's not a good idea to hang out in here, simply because there are so many problems. It's about as intellegent as smoking a pack of cigarettes and then complaining because you have cancer or whining about the scantilly clad women in the videos on MTV, if you don't like it don't watch it...how hard is that. The safety valve is what it is and it's not likely to change.

4. ireland

ireland Active member

there is a way to do that with out upsetting the apple cart is add another step,like (super AfterDawn Addict}

and to reach that step the mods and admin should pick those that deserve the upgrage..
    and then the Safety valve then can live on for ever.

my one cent
    [​IMG]

5. cyprusrom

cyprusrom Active member

@LOCOENG
    Who complained about "the scantilly clad women in the videos on MTV" ?!
    [​IMG]

Everyone that need the green pill, think again about that root canal that ireland talks about...

Last edited: Mar 26, 2006
  6. garmoon

garmoon Regular member

So keep the "safety valve" BUT don't count the posts.

7. tocool4u

tocool4u Guest

The safety valve i think is a fun place to meet the memebers......And get away for awhile and take a break from helping other members....I don't think it should get shut down.........Think how it would be without the safety valve

8. andmerr

andmerr Guest

Dont ye all think drD, KNOWS ABOUT ALL THE BITCHING thats going on and is sick to his stomache about it.I know i am.............

It was the admins decision to change the ways the ranks were done to stop the whiners from whingeing but that was a farce as now it seems that from newbie to addict we are all doing it.You'd think it was our goal on this site to see who can out do each other to be the biggest whiner which would mean some ones going to get the title as the biggest loser at this rate.

Threads like this need to closed as you can all see it has an impact and just adds to the problems.Its fine you brought it to every ones attention but continually bringing it up is detrimental to this community and lets the malcontent make things worst.

If we want a solution then work with the admin, through suggestions, help the mods out more but dont play the role of wannabee mods and hopefully we can get the oldies back and this site will be as rockin' as it was when i joined in 2002.But we cant move on with threads like this popping up every day its just been to negative.

The title thingy is always going to be a sore point, but let admin sort it but considering this problem has been on the table for a while now maybe its more of a problem for the admin.You cant keep every one happy all of the time and you all bitching about it is just making it worst.

Ireland my friend you posted a serious topic in the safety valve you should know better than anyone that by posting here it will go off topic

Come on guys we are all better than that
    As always ladies and gentleman its your choice!!!!!!!

9. gerry1

gerry1 Guest

@LOCOENG...I guess my point was simply that it wasn't always like this; safety valve use to be a place where one could have a lot of fun and the complaining was scarce. I'm sure its just a coincidence but it seems like right around the time a certain addict left for personal reasons (not the complaining)everything seemed to go haywire; its like everything changed overnight; I don't claim to know why save to say that it wasn't always like this.

@The_Ogs...I fully agree with garmoon that we should just simply stop counting posts to the safety valve. I can't say that I understand this preoccupation folks have with the number of posts and the member...senior member...and addicts status but its certainly prevalent enough that it shouldn't be ignored. If, as garmoon suggested, we stop counting posts to the safety valve then perhaps all the complaining about "padding post numbers" would stop. I help out in the areas in which I have some knowledge and I enjoy doing so but I also enjoy just coming to the safety valve to play when I've finished helping in those areas. I have a good time and a lot of laughs with quite a few of our members...and if it's possible to have friends with mere words on a screen, I do consider them as such, I look forward to talking and joking with them and that would never have come to pass without the safety valve. This complaining really only started a couple of months ago and it's unfortunate because, while its certainly important to be helping folks in the forums, there is certainly nothing wrong with a socializing element where one gets to know people and have a good time with them. Perhaps if, as garmoon suggested, we stop adding the safety valve to the post count, we will have removed the very source of the complaining.

10. andmerr

andmerr Guest

@ gerry1

Actually the complaining started way before they changed the levels from being handpicked to what it is now, its now just worst and more noticeable

11. Rotary

Rotary Senior member

hi all

less of the oldies, i am one - (regular users sounds better) hehehe

ok simply put...

help where help is needed no more and no less

elvis leaves the building..................................

12. ireland

ireland Active member

i do not give a dam what your rank,it does not mean beans..
    its the persons personally i care about and there are a bunch of great intelligent people posting on this site...

13. andmerr

andmerr Guest

Nice sentiments but you cant change the people who do give a damn about what there title is and there the ones who make addict in 12 months through chatting rather than helping.I'm not naming names but maybe you could start a thread with

[bold]How long did it take you to get where you are today[/bold]

i'll start it for it as well

3 years to addict

14. gerry1

gerry1 Guest

I joined August 1st of 2003 and have 720 posts. Got off to a really slow start! I've a long way to go before I'm an addict with or without the safety valve LOL!

15. tocool4u

tocool4u Guest

I don't think anybody should care if some1 makes addict in 12 months............YOu say that ranks don't matter.........As long as people help people than i don't see why people should complain about other people.........I mean sure it shows respect that you are an addict.............But who cares NO one yet has got to addict really fast and i don't think anybody will .......People should just worry about there own buisness

And also these threads shouldn't be closed because people don't like it...These threads are normal threads that arn't pointless

16. darthnip

darthnip Moderator Staff Member

the thing is, the ones who would make addict in 12 months DONT help, and they post stupid shit anywhere they can fit it in.

17. darthnip

darthnip Moderator Staff Member

you know what, this thread started out by asking about t he old timers, well i think all the ones that count chimed in and said hello. Now this thread has gone to nothing but bitching, the bad thing is this thread has turned into exactly the same thing people are bitching about!! So this one has run its course.

if any old timers didn't get a chance to get in on this thread, feel free to make a new one that people can screw up as well.

CLOSED

18. Nephilim

Nephilim Moderator Staff Member

Bitch bitch bitch bitch bitch! Oh yeah, bitch!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.