1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Noise reduction and Normalize audio?

Discussion in 'Video - Software discussion' started by Mick_OZ, Feb 1, 2004.

1. Mick_OZ

Mick_OZ Guest

I was looking for some suggestions for some easy to use video editing software that has the capacity to reduce audio noise and normalise tracks when burning VCD and DVD video disks. Sometimes when recording programmes the audio has some hiss due to poor reception and volume levels can vary in music video clips making it nessessary to hang on the the remote while viewing. Im not interested in software that can do almost anything as well as making me a coffee, if I have to attended university to learn how to use it. Just something user friendly would be nice. Any ideas guys would be appreciated. Thanks

2. teegee420

teegee420 Regular member

I have yet to find a video encoder that can do what you suggest to my satisfaction so I usually de-multiplex the mpeg in TMPGEnc using the MPEG Tools in the file menu. This leaves you with a m1v and mp2 file. I then open the mp2 file with Goldwave and go to "Effect">"Filter">"Noise Reduction" and select one of the presets like hiss removal etc. Once the filter is applied, save as wav. Then use a program called FFMPEG to open the wav and convert back to mp2 with a 224 kpbs bitrate and hit "convert". Finally, take the new mp2 file and multiplex with the m1v file you made using the MPEG Tools again. This may sound like a pain in the ass but it's a small price to pay for cleaning up bad audio.

3. Mick_OZ

Mick_OZ Guest

Yeah ive repairs audio in a similar fashion as you suggested, but I was wondering if their was an easier method.
    Thanks for your input.

4. teegee420

teegee420 Regular member

No. If you want to fix audio, use an audio specific program. There is no video application that I know of that can repair audio as robustly as a dedicated audio editor.