1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Noisy HSF on Graphics!

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by LDee, Mar 10, 2007.

1. LDee

LDee Regular member

Hi

My pc is not too bad for noise but above the normal low frequency whoosing noise of the fans there is a high pitch tinny rattle like sound. This sound is extremely undesirable and I've identified it as coming from the graphics card.

My card is a Galaxy 7600gt (stock hsf).

If I put my finger on the middle round plastic bit of the fan and push it in a mm or 2 (while still letting the fan spin) the noise goes away. Obviously this is unpractical and any sort of apparatus doing the same thing would probably be forcably slowly down the rate of rpm of the fan and hence performance (especially with an oc).

My question is, is there any way I can get rid of this noise from the gpu fan via some kind of safe lubricant or other source? Any way I can adjust how far the fan sits out from the housing so as to eliminate the noise? Or any other method to get rid of the noise? I would much prefer to avoid the option of gettng an after market hsf.

Thanks!

2. fgamer

fgamer Guest

Mines is currently doing the same thing, I took the whole heatsink & fan off and checked it and reconnected everything with 0 results. It still makes the noise, so I basically got tired of the noise and crushed in the fan a little and it kinda helped but I wouldn't recommend that method to you. The only solution I'd recommend to you is to replace the heatsink/fan with another one from newegg.com they have plenty of reliable ones.

3. LDee

LDee Regular member

Thanks for your reply. I'll take it off and see if there's anything I can do but I doubt it.

I hope someone else posts a suggestion as I really don't wanna order another hsf.